*BREEP* I’m sorry, due to the Fiftieth Anniversary Special of Doctor Who airing today, Matthew is unavailable to take your call.  If this is a life-threatening emergency, please contact your local emergency services department.  For business that can be completed on or after Monday, please leave a message at the tone.  For your convenience, the MS-QOTD follows this message.  Thank you, and don’t forget that you can’t rewrite history, not one single line of it, but that doesn’t mean you can’t run about with pretty girls for a thousand years of so, and make the most out of it.*BREEP*

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) is likewise out of the office, but could possibly return at around 4 p.m. CST, as it’s busy keeping its fingers crossed for Tom, Peter, Colin and Sylvester to pop up, asking: Which Doctor is YOUR Doctor?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Critical Hit #226: Poof! They Were Gone...

REVIEW: Doctor Who - Prisoners Of Time #12 (of 12)

1. November 23, 2013 at 11:45 am — Reply

Colin, #6. One of the best things I like about the Doctor is how he can be the hero and the Coming Storm in the space of a few multiple heartbeats. His volatility made him unique; that and his deep heroism make him my Doctor.

2. Arbor Day
    November 23, 2013 at 12:12 pm — Reply

Eccleston, wouldn’t have gotten into the series if it wasn’t for him.

3. November 23, 2013 at 12:12 pm — Reply

Rowan Atkinson’s Doctor from “The Curse of Fatal Death”.

I actually don’t have a single specific Doctor preference, having a tie for a few.

Of the old series, Pertwee was my first Doctor I was introduced to by my grandfather, who would babysit me on weekends and let me stay up or wake me to watch the late night airings on PBS. He and Tom Baker are the two that I immediately think of when I think of the old series.

I also really enjoyed McGann’s Doctor. I can’t say I loved the TV movie (didn’t hate it either, though), but I did love his portrayal and the other media featuring his Doctor.

Of the new series, Tennant really stuck with me. He reminded me a bit of older Doctors while also being his own Doctor, and he could look both so young and so very old at the same time.

But I guess my Doctor is simply The Doctor, because there isn’t an incarnation that I truly dislike, and I enjoy aspects of each and every one of them.

4. UltraMatt
    November 23, 2013 at 12:17 pm — Reply

This is a tough one since I like them all and I grew up first with watching the fourth doctor on VHS. However, my favorite will always be Doctor number 6. I don’t really have a specific reason for it, I just always liked his Doctor.

5. Tonny
    November 23, 2013 at 12:45 pm — Reply

the 9th doctor. Propably both because it fits the theory of your first doctor being your favorite, but also because i love Eccleston in most nearly every other role he’s done.
    Also i find his slightly over the top acting to fit perfectly into the surreal universe that Doctor Who shows us.

6. November 23, 2013 at 12:47 pm — Reply

4th Doctor for me, even though I only saw about a minute of the show at my aunt’s house when I was a kid (she had more than 3 channels. lol)

7. Ray
    November 23, 2013 at 3:18 pm — Reply

My doctor has always been the current doctor. I’ve always felt it’s not the actor but the character that thrills me. Each actor takes in a special trait of a whole being, so there are parts of each I enjoy more than others, and parts I strongly dislike of each. I currently really looking forward to Capaldi because he will be my doctor.

Or john hurt. He may be my doctor.

8. Mark
    November 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm — Reply

7th He was the doctor I grew up with
    But as I grew older I come to understand they are all the same man

9. Kirby
    November 23, 2013 at 3:37 pm — Reply

Seventh Doctor without a doubt. I loved the way the wrote him from a bumbler to a deep Chessmaster who traveled the universe. Working my backwards from the old shoe, I loved the building of a new mystery. It’s a shame that some people only see him as when he first regenerated.

10. Arcee
    November 23, 2013 at 4:46 pm — Reply

5th Doctor is MY Doctor. I was stationed in England when he took over. I was aware of 4th in episodes here and there back in the colonies but when he took over the role it was like replacing Sean Connery as 007. I enjoyed the job he did.

11. November 23, 2013 at 5:47 pm — Reply

6th doctor. I started with Tom Baker but Colin Baker’s angry enthusiasm was fun to watch. Plus he did try to strangle Peri :).

12. Shush
    November 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm — Reply

It’s really a difficult choice as they’re all very good.

For me, my favorite would probably be the 10th. From my perspective, the 11th Doctor is very similar to the 10th. Still different, but the most similar out of all the doctors with their youthful exuberance and fast talking mannerisms.

Still, in keeping with your theory, I do have a special place for the 8th Doctor. If I ever bother to hear any of his audio dramas, he might take the top spot, but, alas, I haven’t heard or read any of his non-video adventures. He wasn’t the first one I ever saw, but he was the first one that I saw while understanding what I was seeing.

13. Ian
    November 23, 2013 at 7:58 pm — Reply

4th Doctor (with K-9!)

14. mauther
    November 24, 2013 at 1:32 am — Reply

Davison’s 5 th Doctor is mine. I watched Who before that, but 5 was the first I tuned in for. Great companions (Adric and Turlough) and Companion episodes (Androzani), plus its the least preachy and yet most compassionate, at least before NuWho.

15. Steve
    November 24, 2013 at 6:01 am — Reply

I grew up with Tom Baker and had you asked teenage me who my Doctor was, Mr. Baker would be it. However, the advent of the Internet has made many more episodes available to me and Patrick Troughton is hands down MY Doctor. With all due respect to William Hartnell, I can see Troughton in Baker, Smith, and Tenant. Troughton’s influence helps #2 live on.

16. November 24, 2013 at 6:21 am — Reply

Mine is #9, hes the first one i saw.

17. comicfan1974
    November 24, 2013 at 7:09 am — Reply

Jon Pertwee. I have always loved the balance between man of action, scientist-explorer, and humanist crusader that was the essence of his characterization.

18. Bob
    November 24, 2013 at 8:29 am — Reply

I’d have to go with Tom Baker.Despite the low budget of the show back in his time,he still made it all believable.The last 3 Doctors have been fantastic,bringing a more dramatic element to the show with great effects and energy.

19. November 24, 2013 at 9:04 am — Reply

Even though he has the most episodes missing, my Doctor is Patrick Troughton. His cleverness and deviousness is the template for many doctors to follow. Acting goofy while working out a plan to defeat the enemy is something he started and the others have copied.
    His comedic timing and dramatic abilities probably made him the best actor to portray the Doctor until Tennant.
    He is also the one who saved the franchise.

• November 24, 2013 at 1:08 pm — Reply

I can’t imagine how different the series would be had it been someone else in the role. So many aspects I love about The Doctor are because of how he portrayed the character.

20. November 24, 2013 at 9:38 am — Reply

My first introduction to Doctor Who was Tom Baker, the Fourth Doctor. I used to watch his incarnation on PBS, Saturday afternoon while waiting for my grandparents to come over for weekly dinner. I have a fond attachment to that the Fourth Doctor because of that. The Ninth Doctor, Eccleston, is a close second. He gave a great performance and always seemed to be having a Hell of a good time doing it.

21. mrmonkey
    November 25, 2013 at 6:43 am — Reply

I remember the first time I saw a doctor. It was on PBS and there was a big scary head with an afro floating in a space vortex. Being a kid, I liked it, but moved on. Skip ahead a few decades and a friend introduces me to a new show and then enters #9 (depending on your count) Chris Eckleston. Loved the show and kept up with it ever since.

David Tennant quickly overtook Eckleston in my mind and I don’t think Matt Smith ever elevated himself beyond Tennant (In my mind).

I needed more, so I went back and watched what was available on netflix, which would be 1,2,3,4, and 5.

So…..as is usually the standard, you could say that either Tom Baker or Chris Eckleston SHOULD be my doctor since arguably, they were both my first. However, for a long time, I loved Tennant and he was my doctor, but now I think I would like to adopt Hartnell as my doctor. Maybe Hartnell could be the godfather equivalent of a doctor.