Thanks to recording Bonus Tracks with Stephen this weekend, I’ve had Buckaroo Banzai on the brain all day, and have been engaged in many “What could have been” simulations in my brain.  At one point, I wondered whether Buckaroo could out-sing Potsie from ‘Happy Days’, (the answer is yes, by the way) which led me to wonder if he was a better guitar player than Multi-Man, (a question that I judge as still being up in the air) which led to an all-out imaginary battle of the bands in my head.  By the time the legendary Tom Douglas and Destiny took the stage, I had killed most of my afternoon (which was nice, given a series of system issues panicking my co-workers) and formulated today’s musical query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) has been ionized, but is okay now, asking: Who’s the greatest musician who doesn’t really exist?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Major Spoilers Staff Picks for November 20, 2013

DIGITAL COMICS: BOOM! Studios' Collected Editions Now on ComiXology

1. November 20, 2013 at 11:39 am — Reply

If you ask me the answer is Buddy from Six-String Samurai. The man can play a mean guitar, and slice up the bad guys all at once.

2. November 20, 2013 at 11:58 am — Reply

Does Spinal Tap count? Technically they do exist. If they don’t then I’m going with another Christopher Guest band: The Folksmen from A Mighty Wind.

3. November 20, 2013 at 1:09 pm — Reply

For a real-world example, I don’t think you can beat the Japanese hologram Hatsune Miku. She crossed over and made it big in meatspace. Not huge into the actual act, but it is still impressive.To a lesser extent, hologram Tupac was also awesome, but he doesn’t really get out much.

4. Hirimno
    November 20, 2013 at 1:45 pm — Reply

I’d have to go with Buckaroo Banzai. He’s awesome at everything.

5. November 20, 2013 at 2:56 pm — Reply

back before chucky cheese was chucky cheese , the restaurant was called showbiz pizza, and the band was “rock a fire explosion”. going there and seeing them is one of my favorite childhood memories.
    we used to dare each other to touch the characters.

• November 20, 2013 at 6:10 pm — Reply

Actually, that is only partially correct. Showbiz and Chuck E Cheese were initially not only two separate locations, but two separate companies. Showbiz bought the other company in the mid/late 80’s and then around 1990 began completely turning all locations into Chuck E Cheese.

6. November 20, 2013 at 3:56 pm — Reply

Bill and Ted of course! They saved the world through their music!

• November 21, 2013 at 8:14 am — Reply

If only more people could be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes.

7. Kirby
    November 20, 2013 at 5:05 pm — Reply

Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem

8. Ian
    November 20, 2013 at 5:49 pm — Reply

Eddie and the Cruisers

9. November 20, 2013 at 6:35 pm — Reply

Lestat and his band from the movie “Queen of the Damned”. While I prefer the books to the movie, the soundtrack was awesome.

10. Gary
    November 20, 2013 at 9:48 pm — Reply

El Mariachi

11. mauther
    November 21, 2013 at 1:39 am — Reply

While I love Team Banzai, and they are the only band to still be together in the 31st century (performing on New Avalon, Federated Suns), they were only remsrkable musicians. It was their multi disciplinary awesomness that sets them apart. If Spinal Tap doesnt count, that disqualifies my first choice: Blues Brothers. If the band can never have performed in real life, I’d have to go with Stillwater from Almost Famous. Dewey Cox is a very close second.

12. Mike
    November 21, 2013 at 8:09 am — Reply

If it counts: Dethklok, they make everything METAL.
    If they don’t: The Neptunes, they have a shark for a drummer, which is also pretty metal.

13. tumorface
    November 21, 2013 at 10:14 am — Reply

Why, The Rutles, of course.

14. November 22, 2013 at 5:08 am — Reply

Josie and the pussycats

15. Adam Murray
    November 23, 2013 at 2:30 am — Reply

Robotech/Macross is full of awesome non-real musicians (Musica, Yellow Dancer, Fire Bomber, Sharon Apple, Ranka Lee, Sharon Nome) but I have to go with the original: Lynn Minmay.