Even with all the things that the various shades of geek fight over, there seems to be one thing that unites us all: The power of pizza.  Cleaning up the comic store over the years, I have probably thrown out 1000 or more greasy folded boxes, each of which has been cleaned of ever scrap of edible substance.  Recently, I came across a clip of ‘The Daily Show’ wherein Jon Stewart went on one of his customary tears about the superiority of New York’s pizza over Chicago-style deep dish, likening the Windy City’s version to “casserole.”  I’ve bumped into hard-core converts of all the major chains, as well as those who consider each competitor’s product to be swill, but for my part, I haven’t got a whole lot of pizza biases.  Cook it properly, chuck some neat stuff on top, and I’m golden, which may explain my current weight class.  In any event, it does beg a query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) enjoys pizza in all its forms, even the crappy cardboard microwave disks that were my college roommate’s only form of sustenance in the 90s, asking: Do you prefer your pizza Chicago-style deep dish, New York-style thin crust or something else entirely?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

WAYNE'S COMICS #108: Sohaib Awan

RETRO REVIEW: Thrilling Adventure Stories #2 (August 1975)

1. November 17, 2013 at 11:34 am — Reply

Like everything else, I prefer variety. I don’t have any specific preference in general, but some days I’ll want something one way, the next I may want it entirely different.

But I can say my favorite specific pizza just happens to be a thin-crust white sauce sausage pizza from a local company that you can’t find outside the immediate area. I’ve never had another pizza quite like it, and even “close enough” is a far cry from the awesomeness that is this pizza.

2. AmFan15
    November 17, 2013 at 12:22 pm — Reply

There is nothing quite like a good Chicago deep dish. I grew up in Chicago, and bought them so often that the guy knew exactly what we were going to order as soon as he saw the number on the caller ID.

“Hello, Mr. S——l, it’ll be ready in 15 minutes!” :D

3. Rob
    November 17, 2013 at 1:21 pm — Reply

Stone baked thin crust, heavy on the pepperoni, no question.

• gary
      November 17, 2013 at 5:23 pm — Reply

4. SmarkingOut Adam
    November 17, 2013 at 2:20 pm — Reply

Deep dish most of the time, though I enjoy the occasional thin crust as well.

5. November 17, 2013 at 2:22 pm — Reply

I find Chicago style to be disgusting, and I’m from Chicago. I prefer a normal sized, thin crust pizza. Cheese preferred but pepperoni is accepted.

6. November 17, 2013 at 2:46 pm — Reply

I enjoy pizza several different ways, thin or deep crust, with or without tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, hot sauce or spices, mozzarella, cheddar or Monterey Jack. As long as it doesn’t have fruit on the it.

One style or the other, as long as it’s good!

7. Shush
    November 17, 2013 at 2:48 pm — Reply

I prefer my pizza to taste good, no matter the style. That usually makes it a matter of which pizza has the best tasting dough/crust. If the crust tastes good even when it’s a day old and cold, not that I would allow such a state to exist, then that is the pizza for me.

8. November 18, 2013 at 1:51 am — Reply

No real preference, as long as it’s tasty!

9. mauther
    November 18, 2013 at 2:30 am — Reply

Chicago, when done right is the best. NY style is more forgiving, not as dependent on quality ingredients and top flight preparation. I will agree withe above that regardless of the style fruit has no place on a pizza. I’d add sea food to the verbotten list.

Of course my credibility may be suspect since myfavorite pizzas are the little dollar pizzas by Totinos

10. Frank
    November 18, 2013 at 7:19 am — Reply

Here in GA, most places don’t offer Chicago or New York style crust, so its a mute point for me. Give me great sauce and the toppings.

11. Kirby
    November 18, 2013 at 8:02 am — Reply

First priority: Pepperoni. Second Priority: Varies I like both, but most of the time I want deep-dish.

12. Chux
    November 18, 2013 at 10:06 am — Reply

Chicago style all the way

13. November 18, 2013 at 1:43 pm — Reply

The versatility of pizza is why it is one of my favorite foods. So many different ways to have it. Chicago style vs New York..who cares, it’s all good.