Call me crazy, but the news popping up left and right about the Man of Steel sequel, Batman vs. Superman, has me wondering if we are getting that smack down battle between the big two as seen in the pages of The Dark Knight Returns, or if the movie is really a disguise for the Justice League.

wonder-woman-casting

According to Variety, several actresses are testing for the role of Wonder Woman for the upcoming film.  The actresses include Gal Gadot (Fast and Furious), Elodie Yung (G.I. Joe: Retaliation), and Olga Kuylenko.   Obviously, Warner Bros. would not comment on the story and making the stretch to Wonder Woman (aka Diana Prince) is a big one (the casting description is asking for someone who is “tall, brunette, athletic and exotic”), but I’ve seen a few other rumors pop up wondering if The Flash will also make an appearance in the movie.  If this is the case – one that The Hollywood Reporter, Variety’s competition denies – then is it too much of stretch to start scanning the call sheets for someone who could play Cyborg?

A two and a half hour fight movie ala Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever between Batman and Superman would make for some interesting viewing (Pacific Rim did it), but throw in Wonder Woman, The Flash, and one or two other Justice Leaguers, and suddenly you have the first part of a larger trilogy of films where the team takes on Darkseid and the gods of Apokolips.  In other words, Batman vs. Superman is simply Act 1, with Act 2 being the initial invasion of Apokolips of Earth and the team getting their act together, and Act 3, taking the fight to Darksied with a last minute jump through the boom tube (and possibly an ultimate sacrifice) to end the trilogy.  Do this as a six month release instead of a yearly release, and theater seats will be packed.

Batman vs. Superman is scheduled to arrive in 2015.

via Variety

TELEVISION: Naruto Shippuden Arrives on Toonami in 2014

SOLICITATIONS: Moonstone Announces Operator 5

1. November 8, 2013 at 9:04 am — Reply

I really don’t want a fight movie. I want to see a movie where two characters become friends and the World’s Finest.

• November 8, 2013 at 9:14 am — Reply

But that is kind of a problem, as the film is co-titled Batman vs. Superman, not World’s Finest. I agree with you completely, but that isn’t how H’wood is thinking at the moment. Unless it is all a very smart ploy by Warner Bros… no… wait… they aren’t that smart.

• websnap
        November 8, 2013 at 11:53 am — Reply

It’s not titled “officially’ yet. I imaging they chose the name to maximize attention for the project.

2. November 8, 2013 at 9:15 am — Reply

I’d be okay with a short fight to introduce them to each other (ala Avengers Iron Man vs. Thor), but nothing past that.

• Kirby
      November 8, 2013 at 9:21 am — Reply

If there must be a fight, I’d rather it be this. Though as a whole I’m getting sick of Bats & Supes being antagonistic to each other, and really miss them clearly being friends.

• November 8, 2013 at 9:28 am — Reply

Right. If you’re introducing them to each other, it makes sense for Superman (Mr. Good Two-Shoes) to be cautions and suspicious of the caped vigilante, but past that let’s move on to them doing awesome things together.

• websnap
        November 8, 2013 at 11:59 am — Reply

They have to be antagonistic to start. How would Bruce ever trust Clark right off the hop. That has to be earned in Batman’s eyes. I can see half way through the movie Bruce starting to work with him and maybe friends (or as close to friends as Bruce gets) by the end of the movie. Remember, this is the start of cinematic universe for DC, no the continuation of the established comic book continuity. They aren’t there yet and it it would not be in character for Bruce to just start off there.

3. November 8, 2013 at 10:13 am — Reply

If I get to pick from the pictures above, Wonder Woman ought to be the girl on the left and an internet search of images of ‘Gal Gadot’ confirms I’ve made a good selection.

4. November 8, 2013 at 12:08 pm — Reply

This casting could also–easily–be for The Huntress. And we’ve already had speculation of Nightwing, so my guess is that there is a extended Bat-Family here.

5. Oldcomicfan
    November 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm — Reply

It could simply be that they are looking for a Lois Lane who looks like Lois Lane instead of a blonde or redhead this time.

• randolph defreese
      November 8, 2013 at 4:41 pm — Reply

Sadly Amy Adams is coming back.

6. November 8, 2013 at 2:53 pm — Reply

Pulling the chute and withholding judgement until I see it. Whichever tack they take I will give them the benefit of the doubt until I see some actual previews.

• November 8, 2013 at 8:13 pm — Reply

Ditto.

Between this and the new Star Wars movie, I have thoughts and theories based on various rumors and hopes on which direction they will take, but until actual factual movie info starts coming out, I can’t make any solid comments one way or the other.

7. November 8, 2013 at 11:13 pm — Reply

There was also the rumour about, Jaimie Alexander, who plays Sif in Thor being considered for Wonder Woman. That idea I really like.