There are a lot of comic books out there in the world, and only so many hours in the day, even when your memory is like mine, so when it comes to our Retro Reviews, (Major Spoilers exclusive, accept no substitutes!) I am sometimes limited to the things that have stuck in my mind.  That’s where you, the Faithful Spoilerites, come in!  As my review pile is growing short, I’d like to know what bits and pieces of comic-book ephemera I may have forgotten or misplaced (bearing in mind, of course, that some books are harder to track down than others) and which books you’d most like to read about at your local Major Spoilers…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) is lucky in many ways to have access to a comic shop, and to be the one in charge of the back issues, asking:  What single issue, published before 2004, would you most like to see get the Retro Review treatment?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

SOLICITATIONS: Dark Horse Comics for January 2014

SOLICITATIONS: IDW Publishing for January 2014

1. October 21, 2013 at 11:43 am — Reply

Reid Fleming, Gregory, Wolff and Byrd/Supernatural Law (good with Halloween coming!) or some other indy/non superhero goodness.

• October 21, 2013 at 12:33 pm — Reply

Are you implying something WRONG with superheroes?

2. Kirby
    October 21, 2013 at 11:48 am — Reply

Justice League American #42 (Mr. Miracle’s funeral), Superman’s ‘What’s so funny about truth, justice, and the American way?’

3. October 21, 2013 at 11:54 am — Reply

Ooh ,ooh, any of Marvel’s older “What if?” stories!
    I love What If? stories.

4. October 21, 2013 at 12:05 pm — Reply

I said it on Twitter, but I will repeat it here… At least one issue from Alan Moore’s 1963 run :)

5. Dryden
    October 21, 2013 at 12:23 pm — Reply

I can’t remember the number, but that post crossover X-Factor with Doc Samson as the shrink. That one issue actually made me give a darn about some c-list mutants.

6. October 21, 2013 at 12:40 pm — Reply

Avengers #178, that weird Beast solo story with art by Infantino.

7. October 21, 2013 at 12:40 pm — Reply

I haven’t been a big comic guy for long, but having now gone through my first big old crossover, and it making me leave the big name superhero books(at least as far as picking up ongoing in single issue format).

Maybe some of the old big events that started what seem to be events that lead into events that we see today.

8. alvarlux
    October 21, 2013 at 1:00 pm — Reply

Spider-Man and Batman!

9. October 21, 2013 at 1:13 pm — Reply

For specific single issue, Green Lantern Annual (Vol 3) #6, “Worlds within Worlds”, which is one of my favorite stories from Kyle Rayner’s time as sole GL.

Otherwise I can only suggest any random issue of the following series or events:

Any Marvel “What If?” because those are always entertaining, even the most lackluster issues were still at least worth the cost.

Any of the Amalgam comics (the merged DC and Marvel 5th week event comics from the DC vs Marvel event, such as Dark Claw, Lobo the Duck and Spider-Boy).

Any of the 1994 DC Comics “Elseworlds” themed annuals (most ongoing titles had one and all but a couple were self contained stories).

10. Gary
    October 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm — Reply

If I had to pick one single issue, Batman Black and White, Perpetual Mourning.

11. October 21, 2013 at 2:24 pm — Reply

Sandman, the issue where he makes a man immortal to have a friend.

12. tidge
    October 21, 2013 at 4:47 pm — Reply

Zot! #35: Zot and Jenny have *the talk*.

13. B.V.K
    October 21, 2013 at 6:02 pm — Reply

Secret Wars #8 spidey gets the black suit on accident, essentially while trying to do his laundry in space.

14. Oldcomicfan
    October 21, 2013 at 6:49 pm — Reply

Cap’n Kwik and a Fooze, Groo the Wanderer, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

15. October 21, 2013 at 7:17 pm — Reply

Wow..so many good ones to choose!

Impulse #48
    New Warriors #69

Two great issues that highlight “comedic” characters in serious situations…

16. October 21, 2013 at 7:56 pm — Reply

Tarot Witch of the Black Rose #1

17. Arbor Day
    October 21, 2013 at 8:24 pm — Reply

What about Marvel’s various The End stories. Were they that pre-2004? I know they’re all basically just What If?’s but it was fun to see them conclude their neverending stories.

Particularly I liked Hulk: The End, because it was so morose.

• October 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm — Reply

I know that a few were simply because I have some old Wizard magazines hyping them and I stopped buying Wizard around late 2001/early 2002.

18. SmarkingOut Adam
    October 21, 2013 at 8:33 pm — Reply

X-Men Vol. 2 #8–Gambit & Rogue go on a picnic, but Bishop is a jerk.

19. mauther
    October 22, 2013 at 5:07 am — Reply

My favorite continuity comic (not counting one shots and what ifs) is hands down The Mighty Thor 379 and 380. 379 (There Were Giants in Those Days) is hilarious and 380 (Mjolnirs Song) is the most beautiful fighty fighty put on paper.

20. steve Cranshaw
    October 22, 2013 at 8:43 am — Reply

Fantastic Four #10 (original series) My earliest/most impressive taste of Jack Kirby(and that other guy). This book ‘has it all’. ’nuff said.

21. Chard
    October 22, 2013 at 11:07 am — Reply

X-Men #186, lovely stuff

22. October 25, 2013 at 6:06 pm — Reply

1966 #1 featuring a particularly favourite group of mine.