This week, Zach examines the modern take on silent films with The Artist.

Hollywood 1927. George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) is a silent movie superstar. The advent of the talkies will sound the death knell for his career and see him fall into oblivion. For young extra Peppy Miller (Berenice Bejo), it seems the sky’s the limit – major movie stardom awaits. The Artist tells the story of their interlinked destinies.

MOVIE REVIEW: Machete Kills

Jason Reads Comics: Marvel NOW! for October 16, 2013

1. Kit Merkley
    October 19, 2013 at 2:24 am — Reply

Well guys, I’ve been a huge fan of your podcasts for years now. But not until this one have I felt the need to write you. I think out of all of the podcasts you do Zach on Film is my favorite and it always makes me want to go and watch (or re-watch) the movies you’ve talked about. Some are harder to get than others, but when I started listening about The Artist I checked it out on Netflix, and to my surprise it was there. I stopped listening to you guys and watched the movie. What a great choice! It was amazing. While it did seem long for some reason (maybe the silence, I don’t know), it was worth every second and one of those movies that I felt inspired by. Thank you guys for all that you do. Keep up the great work, and I’ll look forward to sending you some money soon. :)

2. Steve G
    October 19, 2013 at 11:25 pm — Reply

I really have come to love the Zach on Film podcasts. I often listen with my 13 year old daughter, and we have watched several movies just from the casts. I really love all of the technical details that are brought up, I find myself looking much more analytically at the films I watch now than ever before. The next two I am catch are Birth of a Nation, and The artist

Thanks again and keep up the great work.

• October 19, 2013 at 11:35 pm — Reply

We’re glad you enjoy listening to them as much as we enjoy making them.

3. October 21, 2013 at 3:34 am — Reply

On the topic of rights holders and using the properties against the wishes of certain people, George R. R. Martin had a blunt take on it when he spoke on the Nerdist. Basically he said, “You made a decision to give away the rights to your property in exchange for money. That’s it, you don’t get to decide what happens next.” It’s the reason he passed so often on selling the rights to Game of Thrones, until the right moment came along.

Though, he will regret signing away the rights when the show passes him and finishes the series before he does (the creators know the ending).

4. October 22, 2013 at 8:04 am — Reply

Has anyone ever seen the Call of Cthulhu silent film? It came out in 2005 and I believe it is on Netflix. I tried to watch it, but I couldn’t get through it. I understand it captures what a film from the traditional Cthulhu era would have been, and I appreciate that, but wasn’t just isn’t my cup of tea.

• October 22, 2013 at 10:41 am — Reply

Yes. I have it on DVD. It’s available on iTunes as well.

5. October 23, 2013 at 5:21 pm — Reply

This was a great episode. Well done.
    I watched “The stories we tell” a few months back and can’t recommend it enough.
    However, one of the reasons that I love this so much is because of hte director, Sarah Polley.
    Sarah started her career in the arts at an obscenely young age by starring in a Canadian television show called Road to Avonlea. It was a continuation of the “Anne of Green Gables” world and ran for six seasons.
    I found this documentary really interesting to watch not only because of the main story, but because a lot of my childhood was wrapped up watching her. It gave me an extra dimension to the viewing.
    Seriously, give it a watch.