We’ve mentioned it several times on the site and the Major Spoilers Podcast since it was announced at the San Diego Comic Con, and instead of waiting for it to air on the Cartoon Network, Warner Bros. and DC Comics has released the animated short online for all to see.

What did you think? Did it live up to the hype? Does it pay homage to the Man of Steel?

MERCHANDISE: DARK HALL MANSION HALLOWEEN REVEAL: "UNIVERSAL MONSTERS X SHAG"

TELEVISION: First images from Dr. Who 50th Anniversary Special

1. October 16, 2013 at 1:22 pm — Reply

I misted up for a bit there. It did not go as far as giving me shivers.
    Good stuff.

2. October 16, 2013 at 2:07 pm — Reply

Pretty good. I would have liked the flag flying behind ‘George Reeves’, and maybe have him leap up the Daily Star building and fly down off the Daily Planet, but that’s just nitpicking.

3. kaptaran
    October 16, 2013 at 4:16 pm — Reply

the Superman themes always get to me, so they could have put that behind a video of a kitten chewing on a sock and I would have liked it.

That said, I thought this was put together pretty well with some really nice transitions.

4. October 16, 2013 at 5:49 pm — Reply

No Routh no Cain…

• October 16, 2013 at 9:55 pm — Reply

I didn’t notice Welling directly either, just the “Smallville” logo on the water tower.

But I think as Routh was a continuation of the Reeves series, it would be kinda redundant to have included him in a separate spot. And there were better things to commemorate the 90’s with than Cain’s Superman (S:TAS, the whole death/life bit, etc.).

And I gotta ask, did anyone else get a laugh out of the transition to the old video game part? The rest was so beautiful and brilliant that seeing that bit suddenly made me burst out in laughter.

• October 17, 2013 at 8:24 am — Reply

I played the Atari Superman game for hours one summer… good times… good times…

• October 17, 2013 at 2:40 pm — Reply

Unfortunately I didn’t have that luxury, as I never had my own copy (but my friend’s brother did).

I’m glad they included it as one of the representations, don’t get me wrong. It just made me laugh at the sudden shift when everything else was a little more smoothly transitioned between incarnations.

5. Oldcomicfan
    October 16, 2013 at 8:03 pm — Reply

I didn’t notice. George Reeves was a nice touch. He was still on as Superman television when I was a kid. The show wasn’t really that bad, though George was actually more stocky than muscular. I thought as a kid that it was odd that Lois Lane changed between seasons. I think the TV show worked better than the comic at the time because of budget restrictions – they weren’t able to have the stupid super monkey, horse, dog, cat or magic imps, and stayed away from the goofier story lines.

6. Frank
    October 16, 2013 at 8:38 pm — Reply

“No Routh no Cain…” No big loss. Cain was Clark most of the show, not Superman and I am sure DC would like to forget all about Superman Returns.

Overall, I enjoyed it and would have liked to see a scene or two more: The Wedding Album and the helicopter scene from the 1978 Superman.
    A version of Schaffenberger’s Lois Lane would be fun.

7. October 17, 2013 at 3:46 am — Reply

They did good job with this one. On the other hand, im easy to please, all it takes is the John Williams theme coupled with “S”.

8. October 17, 2013 at 4:13 am — Reply

For mine, it shows the modern incarnations as a bit idiosyncratic. Definitely not in the same vein as the rest of the representations…

9. bob
    October 17, 2013 at 4:48 am — Reply

The only thing I feel was missing was that Superman inspired so many other heroes.There should have been a full splash with the League and LSH. Other than that,I liked it!

10. Kirby
    October 17, 2013 at 9:51 am — Reply

I’m with Bob in that we needed at least a shot of the LSH, but other than that, it’s pretty good with changing from design-to-design.

11. October 17, 2013 at 7:44 pm — Reply

excellent Job. Better than some of the comics now.