We’ve talked before about the “earworm,” a song or snippet thereof that gets stuck in your head, repeating and repeating, chiming endlessly through your poor skull until you want to run your head over with a clockwork train like Gomez Addams.  This afternoon, it happened to the Widget in the car, forcing me to play OTHER songs at top volume to keep her from humming three seconds of a song that she didn’t know the end of, thereby making it impossible for her to end the process by singing the song all the way through.  I once knew a woman who would go into a fit of utter rage if you even began to sing the ‘Small World’ song from Disneyland, while another college friend couldn’t stand Jethro Tull.  For my part, I tend to have the biggest problem with songs that aren’t in English that I encounter around the web and/or in various episodes of Super Sentai, but having spent an afternoon dealing with pernicious rhythms at least begs a query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) has heard some ignoble earworms in his time, but has always been able to defeat them with John Denver’s ‘Country Roads,’ which overrides other songs without sticking in your head, asking: What single song would you (given absolute power, albeit only over this one thing) erase from the time/space continuum?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Wayne’s Comics #101: Curt Pires

RETRO REVIEW: Batman Special #1 (April 1984)

1. September 22, 2013 at 12:16 pm — Reply

Without You by David Guetta ft Usher.

I had to edit a video with a COVER of this song as the backdrop. and I had to listen to it over… and over… and over…

I have nothing against it really, but I think I can live without this song for at least a decade.

2. September 22, 2013 at 1:52 pm — Reply

Truckin’ byr the Greatful Dead. actually I would be happier if the Dead were erased entirely, but I will settle for this song.

3. September 22, 2013 at 2:59 pm — Reply

“This is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends…”

It was banned from bus rides during my elementary years, but it took root and rears its ugly head from time to time to torment me.

4. Tonny
    September 22, 2013 at 4:37 pm — Reply

The final countdown.

I just cant say that without walkimg around the next five hours muttering “doooo-de-dooo-do do-de-dooo-doo-doo” under my breath.

Or if i could be real greedy and choose two songs, my second pick would be eye of the tiger.
    I really like both songs, but my wife says she likes them less every time i hear them.

5. Zombi
    September 22, 2013 at 5:26 pm — Reply

Anything by Foxygen

6. September 22, 2013 at 7:31 pm — Reply

Achy Breaky Heart. I despise that song so much that I can’t even listen to the Weird Al version.

7. Oldcomicfan
    September 22, 2013 at 8:25 pm — Reply

Oh, sit right back and you’ll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip….

8. Oldcomicfan
    September 22, 2013 at 8:27 pm — Reply

If that didn’t plant an earworm in your ear, then try this:
    A horse is a horse, of course, of course; and no one can talk to a horse, of course, unless the horse…

9. Mike E
    September 22, 2013 at 9:05 pm — Reply

Recently it has been this song. It is called Sovngard Song and is based on the Skyrim game, that slow big has just been running through my head

• Mike E
      September 22, 2013 at 9:51 pm — Reply

Its great and all but I cant stand that running through my head thing. Next week it will be a different song I’m sure

10. Kirby
    September 22, 2013 at 9:42 pm — Reply

Hmm, personally could do without 99.9% of country and most modern music.

One song choice would be: “She only likes me for my Willie”