Many of the most avid fans of popular cult movies, TV shows, comics and other characters will be roaming the floor as members of fan communities during Wizard World Ohio Comic Con, Sept. 20-22 at the Greater Columbus Convention Center. Followers of Harry Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek, and others will join famed cosplayers Eric “The Smoke” Moran and Ivy Doomkitty in a celebration of ultimate fandom all weekend.
Additionally, replicas of the famous Batmobile from the 1966 TV series and the DeLorean Time Machine from the hit movie Back to the Future will be on hand for photo ops for fans, along with the “Zombie Killer Motorcycle,” when fans are ready to battle zombies (or at least look that way).
Groups scheduled to show their devotion at Wizard World Ohio Comic Con include:
- Ohio 501st Legion, a regional chapter of the 501st Legion, a worldwide Star Wars costuming club, with over 5,000 members in 21 countries, and six continents. The 501st wears the costumes of the “bad guys” from the Star Wars movies.
- Airship Archon, a diverse group of entertainers, tinkerers, and business people hailing from Columbus, who focus on fashion, character creation, prop building, sewing and being thrifty.
- Heroes Alliance, an all volunteer group of superhero costumers for charity which has chapters in 10 states, often making appearances at community and children-oriented charity events.
- International Quidditch Association (IQA), dedicated to governing the sport of quidditch and inspiring young people to lead physically active and socially engaged lives.
- Jedi Knights of Columbus, dedicated to all Science Fiction & Fantasy. This “merry band of misfits” discuss all things fiction and fantasy and organize viewing parties for favorite films and TV shows.
- Local cosplayers like Chelsea Cosplay and Michael Maurice “Knightmage” who will both wear a variety of costumes all weekend.
- Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club, the world’s premier custom Mandalorian costume organization, with 35 chapters in 7 countries around the world. Members attend conventions, charity events and fan gatherings.
- Ohio Star Wars Collectors Club, a resource to discuss new items that are arriving, toy and collectible show dates and generally anything else Star Wars related.
- Rebel Legion, the premiere Heroes costuming group of the Star Wars Galaxy, with 2400 active members. It accepts over 200 hero costumes; from Han Solo and Princess Leia to the Imperial Knights and Deliah Blue.
- USS Asgard, a chapter of Starfleet International. Members go to movies, museums, restaurants, cookoffs, murder mysteries, picnics, and other fun events, and participate in community events.
- USS Columbus has been a member of Starfleet International for the past 22 years. It conducts an annual school supply drive for a local school, helps in the Firefighters Toy Drive, and collects food for Mid Ohio Food Bank along with other local clubs.
- USS Lagrange, an important chapter in Starfleet for 29 years, has raised hundreds of dollars for the Akron Children’s Hospital and for various food banks in the state and has made numerous appearances in parades throughout the year in a “shuttlecraft” built by the club.
- Eisner Award Hall of Famer Stan Lee, pop culture icon William Shatner, Summer Glau (Serenity, “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles”) and WWE® Superstar Sheamus® are among the top celebrities scheduled to attend Wizard World Ohio Comic Con. The standout roster will also include Michael Rooker, Laurie Holden, Steven Yeun and Chandler Riggs of “The Walking Dead” and Ernie Hudson of Ghostbusters. It is the sixth in the 2013 series produced by Wizard World, Inc. (OTCBB: WIZD) and will also feature a top-drawer collection of well-known artists and writers and a variety of activities, exhibitors and special attractions.
Additionally, all full price attendees will receive a free copy of the Exclusive Variant Cover of The Walking Dead #1 comic, drawn by Mike Zeck, available only at Wizard World Ohio Comic Con.
Superstar comics creators scheduled to attend include Zeck (“Spider-Man,” “Punisher”), CAFU (“Teen Titans,” “Superboy”), Eisner Award Hall of Famer Neal Adams (“Batman,” “Green Lantern”) and Eisner Award Nominees Darick Robertson (“HAPPY!,” “Transmetropolitan”) and David Marquez (“Ultimate Spider-Man”, “Fantastic Four: Season One”).
Wizard World Comic Con events bring together thousands of fans of all ages to celebrate the best in pop-fi, pop culture, movies, graphic novels, comics, toys, video gaming, television, sci-fi, gaming, original art, collectibles, contests and more. Wizard World Ohio Comic Con show hours are Friday, Sept. 20, 3-8 p.m.; Saturday, Sept. 21, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 22, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
For more on the 2013 Wizard World Ohio Comic Con, visit http://www.wizardworld.com/home-ohio.html.
About Wizard World:
Wizard World (OTCBB: WIZD) produces Comic Cons and pop culture conventions across North America that celebrate graphic novels, comic books, movies, TV shows, gaming, technology, toys and social networking. The events often feature celebrities from movies and TV, artists and writers, and events such as premieres, gaming tournaments, panels, and costume contests.
The full event schedule can be found at www.wizardworld.com.
***** SAVE THE 2013-14 DATES *****
September 20-22 – Wizard World Ohio Comic Con
October 18-20 – Wizard World Nashville Comic Con
November 22-24 – Wizard World Austin Comic Con
January 24-26, 2014 – Wizard World Portland Comic Con
February 7-9, 2014 – Wizard World New Orleans Comic Con
April 4-6, 2014 – Wizard World St. Louis Comic Con
June 19-22, 2014 – Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con
August 21-24, 2014 – Wizard World Chicago Comic Con