Last week, DC Comics kicked off Villains Month and the Forever Evil event with a series of lenticular covers. Obviously it’s a marketing gimmick that ups the cover price, shines the spotlight on the company, and hopefully gets the reader to pick up the book and buy it.  But are you impressed with results?

Are you impressed with the end result of DC's 3D "moving" covers?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

SOLICITATIONS: Ming Doyle Joins Quantum and Woody team

BUSINESS: ComiXology Appoints New CTO

1. September 10, 2013 at 11:36 am — Reply

Eh. A gimmick cover is a gimmick cover. All we need are sealed bags with armbands, and it’s 1993 again at this point.

2. ClubberLang6
    September 10, 2013 at 11:46 am — Reply

Seems like a gimmick to me.

3. September 10, 2013 at 11:55 am — Reply

I Voted NO. It is just a big gimmick, and it will not make me want to buy them. Not to say my comic book store put them for me. Now if they did something like the AR Marvel is doing (Which I like a lot) then I would give them the extra money without any issue.

4. Andy
    September 10, 2013 at 12:02 pm — Reply

I’m going to say yes because it’s extremely gimmicky but some of them look pretty decent.

5. Ingrid
    September 10, 2013 at 12:12 pm — Reply

I find it too gimmicky – and that’s even considering that I am a sucker for these sorts of things. As fun as they are to play with, meh, I don’t want them on my comics.

6. Kevin Kortekaas
    September 10, 2013 at 12:47 pm — Reply

Not impressed, and the pseudo-motion made me feel like I was going to barf.

7. Cat Halo
    September 10, 2013 at 2:41 pm — Reply

It is undeniably a gimmick, a twenty year old gimmick at that. However, the Darkseid one is kinda cool.
    At least they’ve released non-“3D” covers too, so we’re not stuck with the more expensive, and FLAMMABLE (my guys in my store told me that the covers MELT, if they get too hot!!!) covers.
    In short, i voted yes.

8. September 10, 2013 at 7:28 pm — Reply

Does it make the story any better? Nope! Not buying it. I’m old enough to remember all those 90s foil covers.

9. B.V.K.
    September 10, 2013 at 7:35 pm — Reply

In my brain I know this is a gimmick as DC tries to pry more from my wallet, however, as I picked up my Joker #1 from my weekly pull list and saw the 3-D cover my first reaction was “Damn this looks awesome!” So I guess DC sold me.

10. Oldcomicfan
    September 10, 2013 at 7:40 pm — Reply

Lenticular prints have been available for almost twenty years now. Ho Hum.

11. September 10, 2013 at 7:44 pm — Reply

Who gives 2 shits?
    Give me my foil embossed variant with the Hologram card cover in a sealed bag please. $20? Sure, a book like this will go up in price I’m sure.

12. September 10, 2013 at 7:48 pm — Reply

I often find the chrome covers to be one of the only nineties gimmicks that ever worked, but I’m sort of inclined to give the moving covers a pass as well. It’s a gimmick sure, but it’s a well-made gimmick. They look nice enough, although I find some to be difficult to look at for more than a few seconds.

And at least these span the entire cover. I’ve seen nineties comics attempting the same thing, but only sticking a square of the material on an otherwise normal cover. If these look off, at least it’s a unified deal.

13. September 11, 2013 at 1:48 am — Reply

I bought up my store’s entire supply. I’m putting them in a safety deposit box so I can sell them later and put my kid through college! Nothing could possibly go wrong!

14. mrmonkey
    September 11, 2013 at 7:13 am — Reply

I heard about these and thought…..these are going to be sooooo dumb. Just another gimmick. Hop on the 3D bandwagon. Once I saw them, I thought they were pretty cool actually. I was quite surprised to find that the back advert was lenticular as well. In short, its silly, but well done.

15. SmarkingOut Adam
    September 11, 2013 at 7:32 am — Reply

A lot of these people are right. It’s a gimmick that doesn’t make the story any better. Regardless, I liked it and spent the extra dollar on the ones I was going to buy anyway. I voted “yes.”

16. Frank
    September 11, 2013 at 8:26 am — Reply

If Ebay is a guide, the prices have dropped to close to cover prices. Gimmick.

They’re cool, but at the end of the day, they will go into a bag and sit in a box until I read them again.