Driving home from work last night, I found myself singing (read: screaming my not-inconsiderable guts out) to Journey’s 1983 power ballad, ‘Faithfully.’  It’s a song I came to late, seein’ as how I didn’t get the album til ’87, and one that I associate with my last high school girlfriend and long drives in the awesome Grand Prix that I refused to tell anyone I borrowed from my mom.  When it comes to flashback-city, though, the only thing that causes quicker reversion to my teenage self is side two of the Monkees ‘Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones Ltd’ album (although even then I knew that ‘Peter Percival Patterson’ was pure pig poop.)  Still, it does beg a query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) looks disgusting, but whose chops are we busting?  In a year, maybe two, we’ll seem tame, and three years down the track we’ll be a Las Vegas lounge act, asking: What one song most reminds you of times past?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Critical Hit #215: Deep in the Everdeep Forest, the Giggles Began

Major Spoilers Question Of The Day: I'm Da Last Do-Do Boid Edition

1. September 7, 2013 at 12:58 pm — Reply

It would have to be Weird Al’s ‘Albuquerque’. I remember throughout high school my best friend Patrick and I would randomly start the song up during the school day and then we would proceed to sing all 11 minutes of it.

2. Frank
    September 7, 2013 at 3:41 pm — Reply

For some reason, Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It.” takes me back to the mall in McAllen, TX in the mid-80’s. It was playing over the speakers in the food court while my best friend and I having some mall pizza.

3. Hannah Jones
    September 7, 2013 at 6:06 pm — Reply

That’s a tough one. So I’m ignoring the rules and telling you the collection of songs that come to mind immediately.

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. I made all my friends watch Wayne’s World so we all did our bits in that song(Headbanging Included). Although we all still do that….

I Want To Break Free by Queen, me and my friends breaking into song, it was always this song.

Ten by Pearl Jam, the whole damn album.

Dookie by Green Day, again the whole damn album, I had both of those on repeat for the better part of 18 months… It reminds me of my own teenage angst and how those albums made me feel less isolated.

4. September 7, 2013 at 6:57 pm — Reply

“Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?” by Culture Club. 10th grade, small town Oregon, first hint of New Wave.

Runner up – anything by Men At Work. My whole damn junior year.

5. Kirby
    September 7, 2013 at 11:01 pm — Reply

“One Week” by Bare Naked Ladies, it always reminds me of being a kid in the late ’90s for some reason.

6. September 7, 2013 at 11:07 pm — Reply

“Dear Maria Count Me In” takes me back very strongly, and vividly to my first year of college. That and Metro Station’s “Shake It”

7. September 8, 2013 at 12:01 am — Reply

“The Touch” by Stan Bush, as well as “Dare to be Stupid” by Weird Al, both of which were featured in “Transformers: The Movie” (the original animated one, not the Michael Baysplosion one). Hearing either of those songs anywhere immediately make me feel like I’m a little girl again (between 5 and 10).

Alternately, “Touch of Grey” by Grateful Dead, “Thunderkiss ’65” by White Zombie and “Come as You Are” by Nirvana take me back to my early to mid teens.

8. Bruno
    September 8, 2013 at 12:08 am — Reply

Queen’s “The Show Must Go On”, it takes me back to my first huge crush on a girl, and the break up that followed.

9. September 8, 2013 at 12:21 am — Reply

NOFX – The Decline was the song I listened to in the car on the way home from school in Grade 12. I had such a crappy car, it had under 100 hp when we put it through the dyno in shop.

10. Gordon T
    September 8, 2013 at 11:04 am — Reply

Two Princes by The Spin Doctors takes me back to the roller rink I worked at when that song came out.