Lobo is getting a redesign for Villains Month in the New52. The new design, by artist Kenneth Rocafort, was revealed on DC’s “What’s New in the New 52?” column on their blog. We’ve got the new look after the jump, as well as a few alternates to see where Lobo could have gone.

LoboFinal

He looks, different. I don’t mind the new look, but will miss the big bastich the way he was. Either way, here’s the alternate designs Rocafort worked up.

I actually prefer the first of the alternates to the new design, but I like a beefier Lobo. What do all of you think? Let us know in the comments below.

Oh yes, what about the classic looking Lobo that’s actually shown up in the New 52? “The Lobo you’ve seen so far in the New 52 is not who you think he is,” Harras explained of the incoming story by Marguerite Bennett and Ben Oliver. “In this one-shot, you’ll be introduced to the real Lobo. A ruthless killer, Lobo is on a quest to kill the man who has taken his name.”

Rob Rasmussen

Rob Rasmussen

I'm Rob. Gamer, geek, student, friend. I'm Trebor Srarcinth, Blazankar Mristari, and Bor, Immortal. You know one, but do you know the rest?

SOLICITATION: Image Comics announces Protectors, Inc.

SNEAK PEEK: Dynamite Entertainment for August 28, 2013

1. Arbor Day
    August 26, 2013 at 6:03 pm — Reply

Lobo the Duck?

Isn’t the entire point of Lobo to be a pastiche of 80’s comicbook characters? Making him serious sort of defeats his own purpose.

2. B.V.K.
    August 26, 2013 at 7:12 pm — Reply

I think I am going to cancel my Lobo #1 pre-order

3. comicfan1974
    August 26, 2013 at 9:13 pm — Reply

A beautiful example of what continues to strike me as the fundamental awkwardness of the new 52…as a lifelong DC fan, I can’t tell you how sad it makes me…

4. DrNobody
    August 26, 2013 at 10:16 pm — Reply

It’s like Li’l Lobo… All grown up… And kind of a wuss…

• Allen Jones
      August 27, 2013 at 11:41 am — Reply

I was thinking the exact same thing.

5. August 26, 2013 at 10:47 pm — Reply

I’m going to have to cross my fingers and wish really hard that this isn’t the REAL Lobo, but instead a clone (maybe Lil Lobo) or an alternate, or even just some guy stealing the name Lobo and the real Lobo will show up in about a year to hunt down the guy using his name.

6. August 26, 2013 at 11:18 pm — Reply

What is this I don’t even…… Ben Affleck as Lobo? When did this happen? ^_^

7. August 27, 2013 at 1:17 am — Reply

It’s a nice picture, but it’s not the beefy heavy meta Lobo I know and love. If I remember to, I’ll pick up the one-shot and see what they do with him.

• August 27, 2013 at 12:08 pm — Reply

It really IS a nice picture, and if it weren’t going to be the “real” Lobo I might actually like it. But as it is, it looks more like a Final Fantasy or other Japanese RPG hero than the guy we all know and love. If it were going to be an alternate Lobo or some Earth-Number version or even a clone I’d be okay with it, but not for the main man.

8. Sebastian
    August 27, 2013 at 2:00 am — Reply

In my opinion it’s a very problematic design. Problematic not in the way as how much they changed the character, but instead that there are some hero designs which only work properly when they are executed by the right artist.

9. August 27, 2013 at 5:14 am — Reply

I was looking forward to reading more Lobo……. Not anymore!

10. August 27, 2013 at 6:20 am — Reply

I try to be positive about change in comics, but Legion of Super-Heroes and this have broken me finally. I wash my hands of DC and it’s retro 90’s Bob Harras lead disaster. Here’s to the next crisis.

11. August 27, 2013 at 7:24 am — Reply

Kinda looks like the teen idol version of Kratos. Still, I’m against the idea of pre-judging things before I’ve had a chance to see the final product. Who knows how it will turn out? Putting the ‘new’ in New 52, that’s for sure.

12. mark
    August 27, 2013 at 8:53 am — Reply

But dc we have lobo as we speak in your key dc book stormwatch
    you do recall stormwatch the book you pitched as the cornerstone of the New 52 that stormwatch…

no you don’t recall that why yes it has had 4 writers on it why do you ask?

• Eh, Steve!
      August 27, 2013 at 12:01 pm — Reply

Well, if you notice they re-worked his backstory there – they made him a born a weakling and wiping out his home planet in self defense. Sadly, now I see why.

13. August 27, 2013 at 7:26 pm — Reply

Oh look, an angsty teenager. What an original redesign. Does he sparkle? Also, I would like to take this time to trademark the phrase TwiLobo.

14. Law
    September 3, 2013 at 6:34 am — Reply

The character has always been too much and too dumb for me, so I would have preferred he not come into the new 52. However, I understand his popularity demands his introduction. That being said, I don’t think this look will work with his previous persona.