This weekend, the Widget discovered how to play Monopoly on her iPad, but couldn’t figure out how to win, as her bout with the computer players kept going on and on.  Having explained that endless rounds of rolling and trading money are, in fact, the reason why Monopoly stopped being one of my favorites during the mid-1980s (and the reason why many adults won’t so much as touch the game with a ten-foot pole), I proceeded to explain to her Daddy’s basic rules of Monopoly:    Buy when you can.  Trading is good.  Going to jail late in the game isn’t bad.  Using those rules, she then proceeded to beat the AI so badly that she had to up the game’s difficulty for the next round of the game.  Even having experienced this success, though, she questioned my last hard-and-fast Monopoly rule, (Winners always play the racecar) because of her affection for little Scottie dogs, but our discussion did at least trigger an idle Sunday morning query..

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) misses the days of battleship and cannon, asking:  Which Monopoly token is your favorite?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

STATUES: Yamato USA announces Lilith statue

BOOKS: Goblinopolis: The Tol Chronicles announced

1. Ingrid LJ
    August 25, 2013 at 11:49 am — Reply

Hate to break it to you, Matthew, but the Widget is right – the Scottie dog is totally the best! That was always my piece of choice when I played Monopoly, which ultimately became known as “Monotony,” and then I moved on to other games.

2. August 25, 2013 at 12:26 pm — Reply

Never much cared for Monopoly, but I did have a Star Wars version that had cool pewter coins that were worth 1000. I was always Boba Fett.

• August 25, 2013 at 3:38 pm — Reply

Surprisingly that is one of the few versions I don’t have any game parts from. Twice I actually intended to just go buy the game after having seen it during a previous store visit when I couldn’t afford it, but it was out of stock by the time I could.

At least I have my Star Wars Trivial Pursuit, but nobody will play me because I’ve never lost.

3. August 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm — Reply

I picked up the tokens of various non-standard editions at yard sales, so I’ve got several extras for a little variety. My personal preferences are Charmander, The Swedish Chef and a classic NES controller.

Of the regular tokens, I prefer the top hat (though I’d like to get one of the new editions with the cat piece that is replacing the iron).

4. August 25, 2013 at 2:06 pm — Reply

The ship because then I get to make terrible puns about the game’s economy sinking like the Titanic.

5. August 25, 2013 at 4:41 pm — Reply

I like the thimble.
    I have no clever catchy reason why.

But heyyy. How cool would it be if we could start a Monopoly game right here right now?

6. B.V.K.
    August 25, 2013 at 5:48 pm — Reply

From the Star Wars version that we almost always used, Darth Vader. I liked the idea of the Empire owning everything.

7. Ron
    August 25, 2013 at 8:16 pm — Reply

The Scottie, which I will have it lift its leg when passing a leading opponent. As a salute to their superior gamesmanship, of course.

8. Hannah Jones
    August 25, 2013 at 9:06 pm — Reply

Awhile back there was a “Special Addition” Monopoly that had a bag of money as one of the pieces. That’s my favourite one. After that, it’s probably the Gimli Figurine from the LOTR Monopoly set.

My Dad likes to use a Spyro the Dragon miniature in pretty much every board game we play. My brother does the same thing with his Warhammer models(I do too)

9. August 26, 2013 at 4:42 am — Reply

The Scottie, because dogs are awesome.