Breaking news out of H’wood tonight – Ben Affleck will play Batman in the Man of Steel sequel, currently titled Superman vs. Batman.

This is confirmed as Warner Bros. made it official a short while ago.

“Man of Steel” actors Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane are reprising their roles with Zack Snyder on board to direct.

How do you like them apples? Lately Affleck has been a star/director in his movies, and if he really is playing Batman, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a follow up announcement that he’ll also direct the Justice League movie as was rumored months ago.

Superman vs. Batman or Batman vs. Superman or Man of Steel II: Comic Geek Boogaloo is scheduled to arrive in theaters on July 17, 2015.

Complete press release after the jump!

Ending weeks of speculation, Ben Affleck has been set to star as Batman, a.k.a. Bruce Wayne. Affleck and filmmaker Zack Snyder will create an entirely new incarnation of the character in Snyder’s as-yet-untitled project—bringing Batman and Superman together for the first time on the big screen and continuing the director’s vision of their universe, which he established in “Man of Steel.” The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.
The studio has slated the film to open worldwide on July 17, 2015.

Last month’s surprise announcement of the new movie featuring both Superman and Batman created a wave of excitement and immediately fueled discussion and debate—among fans as well as in the media—about who would put on the cape and cowl of Bruce Wayne’s alter ego.

Snyder successfully re-imagined the origin of Clark Kent/Superman in the worldwide blockbuster “Man of Steel,” which has earned more than $650 million worldwide to date, and climbing. The director will now create an original vision of Batman and his world for the film that brings the two DC Comics icons together.
Affleck will star opposite Henry Cavill, who will reprise the role of Superman/Clark Kent. The film will also reunite “Man of Steel” stars Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane.

In the announcement, Silverman stated, “We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character.”

Snyder also expressed his excitement about the casting of Affleck, noting, “Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can’t wait to work with him.”

Kroll added, “We are so thrilled that Ben is continuing Warner Bros.’ remarkable legacy with the character of Batman. He is a tremendously gifted actor who will make this role his own in this already much-anticipated pairing of these two beloved heroes.”

Affleck recently starred in the Academy Award®-winning Best Picture “Argo,” which he also directed and produced, earning acclaim and a BAFTA Award nomination for his performance in the film, as well as a number of directing honors. In 2010, he starred in and directed the hit crime thriller “The Town.” His recent acting work also includes “The Company Men,” “State of Play,” and “Hollywoodland,” for which he received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor. Earlier in his career, Affleck starred in and co-wrote (with Matt Damon) “Good Will Hunting,” for which he won an Oscar® for Best Original Screenplay.

The new Super Hero film is being scripted by David S. Goyer from a story he co-created with Zack Snyder. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan and Wesley Coller serving as executive producers.

Production is expected to begin in 2014.

The film is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, and Batman characters created by Bob Kane, published by DC Entertainment.

This is really great news! I’m personally excited to see Affleck’s take on the stoic Dark Knight, and the team up or smack down, or whatever the hell is going to happen, is going to be all kinds of nerdgasm fun.

VIDEO: Dueling Banjos with Kermit and Martin

OPINION: Maybe Ben Affleck will be awesome

1. August 22, 2013 at 8:24 pm — Reply

What?!

2. August 22, 2013 at 8:36 pm — Reply

I call shenanigans!

3. Arbor Day
    August 22, 2013 at 8:37 pm — Reply

I hope the more accurate statement is: Ben Affleck is Bruce Wayne. And they have someone else do the batman stuff.

Although, since you got Superman, it makes the physicality of Batman somewhat obsolete, so maybe they play up the intellectual, tactical side of Batman’s character. Something I thought was kinda missing in Nolan’s trilogy.

4. August 22, 2013 at 8:46 pm — Reply

I like it. Affleck has the range to do both, and I’m going to enjoy the heck out of it.

5. August 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm — Reply

Maybe he can save Batman! Just like he did with Daredevil!

Maybe it won’t be that bad lol

6. Mike
    August 22, 2013 at 9:25 pm — Reply

Ben Affleck sucks every kind of balls ever made by mankind. But if there is a scene where Batman sucks balls then this will be good.

7. B.V.K.
    August 22, 2013 at 9:37 pm — Reply

How do ya like them apples!?

• gary
      August 22, 2013 at 9:50 pm — Reply

I don’t like apples :-(

8. August 22, 2013 at 9:52 pm — Reply

I say this: I’m sure after I see it, I’ll be okay with it, but until then, all I can see is “Daredevil”. it’s kind of an odd situation. Affleck had a lot of credibility behind the camera with “Argo” – fans had no trouble accepting as a possibility for directing the “Justice League” movie, but they are less keen on him as Batman. I don’t think people will forget Daredevil and dare I say it . . . Gigli . . . as easily as Warner Bros thinks.

• Spiderlover
      August 22, 2013 at 10:31 pm — Reply

That was my thought too. He can act but he can also give a bad performance. I’m not saying it will be awful or good. I’m just going to wait and see.

9. SpiderLover
    August 22, 2013 at 9:52 pm — Reply

Part of me wants to laugh. However I think the wait and see approach is best. Nothing to get up in arms about I suppose.

10. Andy
    August 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm — Reply

The guy has chops. I’ll see it before I judge it.

11. August 22, 2013 at 10:45 pm — Reply

If they don’t title this movie “World’s Finest” I will be very disappointed.

12. comicfan1974
    August 22, 2013 at 10:45 pm — Reply

While I agree with most comments on here so far that we ultimately need to wait and see (certainly a lot of people thought Michael Keaton was a horrible choice originally), I have to admit that this casting news doesn’t fill me with confidence and could, at its worst, prove thoroughly and embarrassingly ludicrous if it fails.

• August 22, 2013 at 11:26 pm — Reply

Keaton following West after a couple of decades is much more palatable than Affleck immediately following Bale. Hera… that chin o’ his… uch.

At least Cavill is hot. Wicked hot.

13. Remco van de Kant
    August 23, 2013 at 1:33 am — Reply

Good choice. They needed someone to play off of Cavill Superman and eventually join a Justice League. I don’t see a Nolan Batman doing that at all.

I like Bruce Wayne dressing up as Batman compared to Batman dressing up as Bruce Wayne.

Farewell ‘Dark Knight’

Welcome ‘Caped Crusader’

14. Sebastian
    August 23, 2013 at 1:48 am — Reply

So Matt Damon is going to be Robin?

• Brandon
      August 23, 2013 at 9:22 am — Reply

Haha! I was thinking the same exact thing when I saw the news. Hope Batman runs into the criminals Jay and Silent Bob in front of the Gotham Quickie Mart.

15. TheThinman
    August 23, 2013 at 2:28 am — Reply

I’m down. I’m one of the very few who thought he was a good Daredevil with a bad script. Never understood all the Affleck hate.

• bob
      August 23, 2013 at 6:26 am — Reply

I have to agree. Lets give him a try!

16. Bruno
    August 23, 2013 at 3:06 am — Reply

I like it. I’m an Affleck fan, and he’s been in some shitty movies, but he’s pretty good in the right roles.

17. August 23, 2013 at 5:35 am — Reply

I like Affleck in various roles, but most of those were comedies or other roles where he’s not even in the same neighborhood as being a Bruce Wayne or Batman type character. I really disliked his role in Daredevil, but that may have been the writer/director and not his fault (I also hated Electra even though I had a huge crush on Jennifer Garner, so…).

I can’t say I’m excited, but I can’t say I’m going to rage about it either. Do I think he’s perfect for the role? No, but he might surprise me.

18. Cent
    August 23, 2013 at 7:37 am — Reply

Coming on the heels of Bale owning the character for almost a decade, casting Affleck as Batman instantly resets the expectations of who/what Batman is. I think getting the public primed for a different type of Batman early on is solid decision on the part of DC/WB.

Plus, as much as I liked Bale as Batman, I am pretty pumped to see a guy like Affleck, who can infuse a sense of levity into the Batman, get a crack at the role. Snyder is often too serious by a mile, but Affleck has enough cred to make his voice heard on how he wants Batman portrayed. Which I hope means at least a smidge less brooding.

Now if we can get Cranston as Luthor, we’ll be set!

19. August 23, 2013 at 7:41 am — Reply

Im tottaly down with Affleck as Batman.
    Let Bruce be a bit older than Clark and this will be great.
    Have anybody heard Kevin Smiths reaktion?

20. August 23, 2013 at 9:13 am — Reply

I like it. I don’t see why everyone hated Daredevil and I thought Affleck did a good job.

21. August 23, 2013 at 3:23 pm — Reply

I submit to you the wisdom of the internet: http://i.imgur.com/MpguI.jpg

22. August 23, 2013 at 3:39 pm — Reply

Ok, three thoughts on this…1.) Since pursuing directing, and Affleck has admitted this, he has grown as an actor to almost academy award levels. 2.) Let’s not hold past roles against him, after all Heath Ledger did “A Knight’s Tale”. 3.) Everyone is hating on daredevil. But I got simple math on this one.

Look at that time period, arguably the three worst marvel from 2003 – 2007 were “Ghost Rider”, “Elektra”, and “Daredevil”. (I actually liked the director’s cut, but most consider them off).

Now, one could argue that all those actor’s are to blame, but there is one common demoniator between all of them “Mark Steven Johnson”, he wrote / directed Daredevil and Ghost Rider, and wrote Elektra. All piles of crap when you think about it.

Now, you can have a good actor, but if you give them crap to work with, you get crap in return. Garbage in = Garbage out.

You want a perfect example. Brandon Routh, arguably one of the worst people to play superman. But look at the actor, he did a pretty good job in Dylan Dog, and did a great job on Chuck. But his superman was bland and boring, and if you read interviews since he says that his direction from Bryan Singer was basically…”Ok, so be Christopher Reeve…Action!”

So I’m not sure we can totally hold Daredevil against Ben Affleck, if anything Argo, and the Town were fantastic.