There is a long-standing (and not entirely baseless) stereotype that nerds love and incessantly quote the works of Monty Python.  While the seminal seventies comedy troupe still have an influence, in recent years it seems that their ubiquity may finally be on the wane.  In the age of multiple sensory input designated for specific demographics, it’s rare to find anything that has universal appeal anymore, but it would be interesting to see those in our particular substrata unified in quoting ‘Firefly’ or ‘How I Met Your Mother.’  Given my druthers, I’d like for the whole world to endlessly quote George Carlin, if only for the wonderment of hearing his language out of the mouths of grandmothers, young children and the clergy…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) ran away, bravely ran away away, when danger reared it’s ugly head, MS-QOTD turned it’s tail and fled, asking:  What bit of pop culture would you most LIKE to see replace Python as universal geeky quote-machine/touchstone?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

SOLICITATIONS: Titan Comics for December 2013

REVIEW: Planet of the Apes Spectacular #1

1. SmarkingOut Adam
    July 31, 2013 at 12:16 pm — Reply

I quote UHF heavily and get a lot of strange looks, so that might be nice.

• July 31, 2013 at 6:04 pm — Reply

Have you ever tried a Twinkie Wiener Sandwich? They are surprisingly good, but you HAVE to make it with the right cheese in a can or it tastes off.

2. Frank
    July 31, 2013 at 12:20 pm — Reply

Blazing Saddles or Space Balls by Mel Brooks.

3. Gary
    July 31, 2013 at 12:26 pm — Reply

Batman!

Real answer… nothing. MPATHG is the perfect bit of quotable goofiness. Why change a good thing?

If I had to pick something recent though, I’d probably go with the Scott Pilgrim movie. It’s got a similar flavor of zaniness, though the tone and style of the movies are very different.

4. July 31, 2013 at 1:20 pm — Reply

I’m all over the place with my quotes, but when I’m looking for something and can’t find it I say, “I’m not seeing it here Lloyd.” 5 nerd points to whoever can guess what that’s from with no hints.

5. July 31, 2013 at 2:58 pm — Reply

I dunno if my answer really qualifies as pop culture, but when i read that George Carlin was mentioned in the write-up, i went instantly to Eddie Izzards stand-up shows.. in my miiiind!

6. July 31, 2013 at 3:38 pm — Reply

I agree with the previous poster… Monty Python in general should not be replaced by any means… but if we must, can we at least go to Blues Brothers or Ghostbusters?

• July 31, 2013 at 6:06 pm — Reply

Honestly, as much as I’d love Ghostbusters quotes to be more commonplace, I’m not sure my friends could handle it. I think I may have actually brought a couple of them to despise the movie with the frequency of which I use quotes from it, but I cannot help it that so many opportunities present themselves.

7. B.V.K.
    July 31, 2013 at 6:14 pm — Reply

For me and my friends in college it was always Dumb and Dumber or Anchorman quotes. “We got no food, we got no money, OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

8. July 31, 2013 at 8:18 pm — Reply

I’m always fond of super troopers, but they are a shade to nsfw,

9. Oldcomicfan
    August 1, 2013 at 7:17 am — Reply

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is already poised in a fair way to replace Monty Python.

10. EricJude
    August 2, 2013 at 2:53 pm — Reply

With the upcoming release of “The World’s End,” I would have to vote for the Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Flavours_Cornetto_trilogy).

There are many lines that can be nearly universally applied to any situation (e.g., “You’ve got red on you.” “I ran it under a cold tap.” “Player two has entered/left the game.” “SWAN!” “Want anything from the shop?” “Yarp!”)