When I worked in a call center, I often found that people assumed a great deal about what I did and didn’t know, and when several of my team members started talking things nerdy (comics and Doctor Who), there were some stunned glances when I actually flexed my pop culture nerd muscles and dropped some knowledge on them.  My knowledge of old-school Who impressed them, but the real kicker came when I not only KNEW Deadpool, but could discuss his history and the fact that Rob Liefeld cribbed much of his schtick from Teen Titans villain Deathstroke The Terminator.  During that discussion, the standard question of what would happen if they fought came up, but one hardy young soul asked what has been a more important and enduring question:  “If Deadpool and Deathstroke were fighting over a girl, who would they choose and who would win?”  That young man, by the way, quit to work in a cheese factory, but his keen and unusual senses should have had him in the space program.  (The answers, bee tee dubs, are “Gwen Stacy” and “Deathstroke, but at a serious cost personally and in terms of property damage”, just for the record.)

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) is always a little bit entertained when people try to impress me with their knowledge of things nerdy, asking: What’s the strangest pop-culture question you’ve ever heard/been asked?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Wayne's Comics Podcast #97: Jay Faerber

CONVENTIONS: Star Wars Celebration Europe comes to an end

1. July 28, 2013 at 2:23 pm — Reply

Are you just out of ideas for the MSQOTD and want us Spoilerettes to supply a week or two’s worth?

(not an idea I’m totally against, btw)

2. teletran1
    July 28, 2013 at 2:47 pm — Reply

I think everyone has has heard the one about how Superman could have sex with a human?

3. July 28, 2013 at 6:35 pm — Reply

Sometimes my brain goes on a walkabout and the other day I asked my girlfriend Why didn’t the Darth Vader toy in Indian in the Cupboard take over the world. That is easily the wierdest I can remember spouting

• Ryan 'Halite' King
      July 29, 2013 at 8:50 am — Reply

Since putting a toy into the cupboard grabs the real life version of that person, even through time, that means that a Darth Vader toy would become either a guy at a convention dressed as Darth Vader, or David Prowse.

• July 29, 2013 at 10:12 am — Reply

Except the movie wasn’t quite accurate to the books. In the movie, the Jurassic Park T-Rex toy became a “real” T-Rex rather than an animatronic, the Vader toy’s lightsaber became a “real” lightsaber and a couple of the toys fired energy weapons.

That was my biggest gripe with the movie since the books would probably have portrayed it how you mentioned.

4. B.V.K.
    July 28, 2013 at 7:21 pm — Reply

First, Deadpools girl has always been Bea Arthur. Second the strangest question (and one of the funniest) is when Brody asks Stan Lee “is the Things dork orange?” in Mallrats.

5. July 28, 2013 at 7:25 pm — Reply

Friend: “Why didn’t He-Man and She-Ra ever get married?”
    Me: “Because they are brother and sister.”
    Friend: “Since when?”
    Me: “It says so right in the opening credits of She-Ra, when she says ‘I am Adora, He-Man’s twin sister’ and then goes on to an introduction very similar to that He-Man gives at the beginning of his show.”
    Friend: “…..”

I also tend to get asked numerous questions of adult natures about characters of various fiction as if I’m an expert.

6. gary
    July 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm — Reply

There’s a whole class of questions, the answers to which are found in bad fanfic across the interwebz

7. July 30, 2013 at 4:03 am — Reply

I’m thinking of the Cheers episode where the question “If the Brady Bunch crashed in the Andes and had to eat each other to survive, who would they eat first?” came up.