As is tradition, the Eisner Awards were last night at San Diego Comic Con and we have a run down of who and what won which awards for you!
To start the night off Spain Rodriguez, Lee Faulk, Al Jaffee, Joe Sinnott, and Trina Robbins were all inducted into the Will Eisner Hall of Fame.
Now, on to the awards!
- Best Short Story– Moon 1969: The True Story of the 1969 Moon Launch, by Michael Kuppperman, in Tales Designed to Thrizzle #8
- Best Single Issue (or One-Shot)– The Mire, by Becky Cloonan (self-published)
- Best Continuing Series– Saga, by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (Image)
- Best New Series– Saga, by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (Image)
- Best Publication for Early Readers– Babymouse for President, by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm (Random House)
- Best Publication for Kids (Ages 8-12)– Adventure Time, by Ryan North, Shelli Paroline, and Braden Lamb (kaboom!)
- Best Publication for Teens (Ages 13-17)– A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L’Engle, adapted by Hope Larson (FSG)
- Best Humor Publication– Darth Vader and Son, by Jeffrey Brown (Chronicle)
- Best Digital Comic– Bandette, by Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover
- Best Anthology– Dark Horse Presents, edited by Mike Richardson (Dark Horse)
- Best Reality-Based Book– Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller, by Joseph Lambert (Center for Cartoon Studies/Disney Hyperion) AND The Carter Family: Don’t Forget This Song, by Frank M. Young and David Lasky (Abrams ComicArts)
- Best Graphic Album– Building Stories, by Chris Ware (Pantheon)
- Best Adaptation from Another Medium– Richard Stark’s Parker: The Score, adapted by Darwyn Cooke (IDW)
- Best Graphic Album (Reprint)– King City, by Brandon Graham (TokyoPop/Image)
- Best Archival Collection/Project Strips– Pogo, vol. 2: Bona Fide Balderdash, by Walt Kelly, edited by Carolyn Kelly and Kim Thompson (Fantagraphics)
- Best Archival Collection/Project Comic Book– David Mazzucchelli’s Daredevil Born Again: Artist’s Edition, edited by Scott Dunbier (IDW)
- Best US Edition of International Material– Blacksad: Silent Hell, by Juan Diaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido (Dark Horse)
- Best US Edition of International Material-Asia– Naoki Urasawa’s 20th Century Boys, by Naoki Urasawa (VIZ Media)
- Best Writer– Brian K. Vaughan, Saga (Image)
- Best Writer/Artist– Chris Ware, Building Stories (Pantheon)
- Best Penciller/Inker– Chris Samnee, Daredevil (Marvel); Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom (IDW) AND David Aja, Hawkeye (Marvel)
- Best Painter/Multi-Media Artist (Interior Art)– Juanjo Guarnido, Blacksad (Dark Horse)
- Best Cover Artist– David Aja, Hawkeye (Marvel)
- Best Coloring– Dave Stewart, Batwoman (DC); Fatale (Image); BPRD, Conan the Barbarian, Hellboy in Hell, Lobster Johnson, The Massive (Dark Horse)
- Best Lettering– Chris Ware, Building Stories (Pantheon)
- Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism– The Comics Reporter, edited by Tom Spurgeon
- Best Comics-Related Book– Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, by Sean Howe (HarperCollins)
- Best Educational/Academic Work– Lynda Barry: Girlhood Through the Looking Glass, Susan E. Kirtley (University Press of Mississippi)
- Best Publication Design– Building Stories, designed by Chris Ware (Pantheon)
Any surprises? Saga completely stole the show it would seem like with three different category wins.