A few years ago, I chanced to go to lunch with a colleague at the local Chinese buffet, only to find that the place had installed a Tekken machine.  She, being much younger, thought to school me in the ways of the fighty-fighty, only to discover my skills with Christie Monteiro to be up to her angry jaguar-headed something-or-other attacks.  Sadly, she eventually overpowered me, making me wish that I had the reach of SoulCaliber’s Seung Mina, or perhaps Raiden’s human cannonball attack.  Indeed, much of the time when I play video games, I find myself wishing I had accessories from other games, as Johnny Cage finally getting a decent sword, CM Punk using The Force, or the chance to finally give my Sims a plasma rifle.  (Don’t look at me like that, we’ve all put fireworks in the middle of the living room, invited the entire neighborhood over and edited out all the doors.  There’s a reason that game sold well, and it wasn’t because humans are kind and beneficial overlords, folks.)  These are, after all, the kind of thoughts that kept me out of the really good schools, but they at least beg today’s query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) remembers playing Asteroids in the arcades (back when either of those were still a thing) and wanting the beam weapon from , asking: If you could arrange it right now, what video game mashup/crossover sounds most fun to play?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

SOLICITATIONS: Valiant for October 2013

SDCC'13: Michael Turner art book debuts at convention

1. July 13, 2013 at 12:11 pm — Reply

Anyone who doesn’t want a DC/Marvel fighting game needs to check their pulse.

• July 13, 2013 at 12:13 pm — Reply

Also, Christie Monteiro looks like Jennifer Lopez in that photo. I haven’t played Tekken in years, but I have to assume that’s intentional.

• July 13, 2013 at 8:13 pm — Reply

I’d have to say yes, especially given the time frame…

2. Arbor Day
    July 13, 2013 at 12:15 pm — Reply

Pokemon + GTA, with an online component.

3. July 13, 2013 at 1:08 pm — Reply

A Marvel versus DC fighting game would be awesome, especially if other companies & creators could get in on the DLC.

Personally, I always thought a series with scads of characters like X-Men or the Legion would work well as a quirky Disgaea-style strategy RPG. But that’s because I love Disgaea & think more games should try to be as absolutely pure fun.

4. SmarkingOut Adam
    July 13, 2013 at 1:13 pm — Reply

I was disappointed when they came out with Mortal Kombat vs. DC. I can’t fathom any Mortal Kombat character hanging with most DC characters. I love MK games, though, and would love to have seen it crossed over with Marvel instead. Johnny Cage vs. Gambit, Liu Kang vs. Wolverine, Kung Lao vs. Captain America–it all works so much better.

5. July 13, 2013 at 2:48 pm — Reply

Tetris/Tempest please.

6. July 13, 2013 at 4:01 pm — Reply

I want to play as Spider-Man in pretty much every action game ever.

7. July 13, 2013 at 4:11 pm — Reply

It has already been said, but a Marvel/DC fighting game. What I’d want to see is a loose storyline that brings back elements of the old Marvel/DC crossovers and you’ll have the ability to fight or play Amalgam characters as well (either through unlocks or DLC).

I’d also be exquisitely excited if Disney/Square Enix decided to make a somewhat Kingdom Hearts style game with Marvel and Final Fantasy. Have one of the big evil magic users or cosmic beings of the Marvel U trying to open an interdimensional portal while someone from one of the Final Fantasy settings tries the same thing, causing ripples in time/space that throw some Marvel heroes and villains into Final Fantasy timelines and vice-versa. Your main character will be a young mutant magic user from the Marvel U traveling across timelines to find some way to fix the problem, and you gain party members from both Marvel and Final Fantasy characters of various settings (maybe they can even throw in TOEI’s Spider-Man alongside characters like Spidey 2099 and AoA Magneto).

8. B.V.K.
    July 13, 2013 at 4:47 pm — Reply

Army of Darkness (It has multiple entries) meets Dragon Age. It would be awesome to play a sweeping Fantasy RPG as Ash.

9. Oldcomicfan
    July 13, 2013 at 6:11 pm — Reply

I can’t think of a mash-up, but that thing with the Sims, that sounds almost as much fun as inviting everybody over to your swimming pool and then deleting all the ladders…