It’s here! San Diego Comic-Con 2013 is upon us, and Dark Horse Comics is delivering a full slate of signings from your favorite creators!
DARK HORSE SIGNINGS
IMPORTANT: All giveaway, limited edition, and exclusive items are available while supplies last. Free prints, comics, or posters are provided for each signing while supplies last. You may bring items to sign or purchase them at the Dark Horse Store or Dark Horse Exclusives Store. We reserve the right to restrict the nature and/or limit the number of items to be signed, at our discretion. Signing lines will be closed as needed.
Ticketed signings are noted below. Drawings for these events will begin at show opening the day before and day of each signing. Come to the Dark Horse booth early for your best chance to get a ticket.
Events are subject to change. Some restrictions apply. Please see Dark Horse staff for details.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 17
- Special Preview Night Signings for Exclusives and Limited Editions
- 6:00 p.m. LAST MAN STANDING: KILLBOOK OF A BOUNTY HUNTER: Daniel LuVisi
- Free print. Limited edition hardcover for sale at Dark Horse Exclusives Store.
- 7:00 p.m. PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES: Paul Tobin
- Free print. San Diego Comic-Con International Exclusive Plants vs. Zombies comic for sale at show opening at Dark Horse Exclusives Store (two per person limit).
- 8:00 p.m. MASS EFFECT: Cosplayer Holly Conrad as Commander Shepherd
- Free double-sided Mass Effect/Dragon Age poster. Limited edition Mass Effect Bronze Alliance Normandy SR-1 Ship Replica on sale at show opening at Dark Horse Exclusives Store (two per person limit).
THURSDAY, JULY 18
- 10:00 a.m. LAST MAN STANDING: KILLBOOK OF A BOUNTY HUNTER: Daniel LuVisi
- 10:00 a.m. THE STRAIN: Mike Huddleston, E.M. Gist
- 11:00 a.m. LONE WOLF AND CUB: Kazuo Koike
- 11:00 a.m. DRAGON RESURRECTION: Lin Zhang
- 12:00 p.m. X: Duane Swierczynski, Eric Nguyen, Dave Wilkins
- 12:00 p.m. DRAGON AGE: THE WORLD OF THEDAS: Ben Gelinas, Nick Thornborrow
- 1:00 p.m. BLOOD BROTHERS: Andrew Waller, Mike Gagerman
- 2:00 p.m. HALO: INITIATION: Terry and Rachel Dodson
- 2:00 p.m. LONE WOLF AND CUB: Kazuo Koike
- 3:00 p.m. CATALYST COMIX: Joe Casey, Ulises Farinas
- 3:00 p.m. BEANWORLD: Larry Marder
- 4:00 p.m. BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, ANGEL & FAITH: Georges Jeanty, Christos Gage
- 5:00 p.m. PICTURES THAT TICK: Dave McKean
- 5:00 p.m. DYNAMICS PRESENTS CONAN: THE PHANTOMS OF THE BLACK COAST: Attila Futaki
- 6:00 p.m. THE BLACK BEETLE: Francesco Francavilla
- DREAM THIEF: Jai Nitz
- BUZZKILL: Donny Cates
- 6:00 p.m. CREEPY, EERIE: Dan Braun, Jason Shawn Alexander, Chris Zephro, Justin Mabry
FRIDAY, JULY 19
- 10:00 a.m. CREEPY, EERIE: Dan Braun, Glenn Hetrick, Chris Zephro, Justin Mabry
- 10:00 a.m. THE MONKEY KING: Katsuya Terada
- 11:00 a.m. LONE WOLF AND CUB: Kazuo Koike
- 11:00 a.m. SACRIFICE: Sam Humphries
- 12:00 p.m. THE GUILD: Felicia Day *Ticketed event
- 12:00 p.m. MIND MGMT: Matt Kindt
- 1:00 p.m. STAR WARS: LEGACY: Corinna Bechko, Gabriel Hardman
- 1:00 p.m. BANDETTE: Paul Tobin, Colleen Coover
- 2:00 p.m. THE LAST OF US: Neil Druckmann, Faith Erin Hicks *Ticketed event
- 2:00 p.m. LONE WOLF AND CUB: Kazuo Koike
- 2:00 p.m. MASS EFFECT: Courtenay Taylor (voice actor of Jack), Mike Gamble
- 3:00 p.m. THE FIFTH BEATLE: Vivek Tiwary, Andrew Robinson
- 3:00 p.m. NUMBER 13: David Walker, Robert Love
- 4:00 p.m. DRAGON AGE: Claudia Black (voice actor of Morrigan), Ben Gelinas, Nick Thornborrow *Ticketed event
- 4:00 p.m. THE MONKEY KING: Katsuya Terada
- 5:00 p.m. DARK HORSE PRESENTS: Shannon Wheeler (Villain House), Ulises Farinas and Erick Freitas (Gamma), Geoffrey Thorne and Todd Harris (Genre 19)
- 5:00 p.m. STAR WARS: Carlos d’Anda and Gabe Eltaeb (Star Wars), Randy Stradley and Doug Wheatley (Dark Times), Dan Parsons and Wes Dzioba (Dawn of the Jedi), Mark Irwin (Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin), Dave Wilkins (Legacy), Zack Giallongo (Ewoks: Shadows of Endor)
- 6:00 p.m. TNT PRESENTS FALLING SKIES: Noah Wyle, Moon Bloodgood, and Falling Skies cast *Ticketed event
- 6:00 p.m. CONCRETE PARK: Tony Puryear, Erika Alexander
SATURDAY, JULY 20
- 9:00 a.m. LAST MAN STANDING: KILLBOOK OF A BOUNTY HUNTER: Daniel LuVisi
- 10:00 a.m. EMILY AND THE STRANGERS: Rob Reger, Jessica Gruner
- 11:00 a.m. ELFQUEST: Wendy and Richard Pini
- 11:00 a.m. VALVE PRESENTS: Jay Pinkerton, Erik Wolpaw, Heather Campbell, Tristan Reidford
- 12:00 p.m. CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT: Josh Williamson, Raymond Swanland
- BLACKOUT: Frank Barbiere, Micah Kaneshiro
- THE OCCULTIST: Tim Seeley, Mike Norton
- 1:00 p.m. AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER, LEGEND OF KORRA: Michael Dante DiMartino, Bryan Konietzko, Joaquim Dos Santos, Ki-Hyun Ryu, Gene Luen Yang, Chifuyu Sasaki and Naoko Kawano from Gurihiru Studio
- 2:00 p.m. THE GOON KICKSTARTER TEAM: Eric Powell, Tim Miller and Jeff Fowler from Blur Studio
- 3:00 p.m. UNDERGROUND: Andrew Vachss
- 3:00 p.m. BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, ANGEL & FAITH: Georges Jeanty, Andrew Chambliss
- 4:00 p.m. HOUSE OF GOLD & BONES: Corey Taylor *Ticketed event
- 5:00 p.m. HELLBOY, B.P.R.D., ABE SAPIEN, BALTIMORE: Mike Mignola
- 5:00 p.m. ITTY BITTY HELLBOY: Art Baltazar
- 6:00 p.m. THE SHAOLIN COWBOY: Geof Darrow
- 6:00 p.m. THE TRUE LIVES OF THE FABULOUS KILLJOYS: Becky Cloonan
SUNDAY, JULY 21
- 10:00 a.m. BUNNY IN THE MOON: THE ART OF TARA MCPHERSON: Tara McPherson
- 10:00 a.m. LAST MAN STANDING: KILLBOOK OF A BOUNTY HUNTER: Daniel LuVisi
- 11:00 a.m. Joss Whedon *Ticketed event
- 12:00 p.m. R.I.P.D.: Peter Lenkov
- 1:00 p.m. ALIENS: INHUMAN CONDITION: John Layman
- 1:00 p.m. 47 RONIN: Mike Richardson, Stan Sakai
- 2:00 p.m. EMILY AND THE STRANGERS: Rob Reger, Jessica Gruner, Buzz Parker
- 2:00 p.m. HUSBANDS: Jane Espenson, Brad Bell, Sean Hemeon
*Events are subject to change. Some restrictions apply.
DARK HORSE/PARTNER PANELS
Thursday, July 18
11:45am – 12:45pm – Inside the Looking Glass: Building Halo Worlds and Wonders, Past, Present…and Future
Spartans Unite! Frank O’Connor (franchise development director), Dan Ayoub (executive producer), and other 343 Industries personnel celebrate and discuss the exciting new addition to the Halo universe Halo: Spartan Assault, the new comic book series from Dark Horse Comics, Halo: Initiation, and with some “Mega” surprises. Panelists include Nick McWhorter (director of custom programs, Dark Horse Comics), Graeme Jennings (senior producer, 343 Industries),Martin de la Ronde (creative director, Vanguard), and Brian Reed (franchise writer, Halo).
1:00pm – 2:00pm – Dark Horse: (Super)Powered by Creators
The latter half of 2012 saw the return of two of Dark Horse’s classic characters, Ghost and X, the appearance of new faces like Michael Avon Oeming’s The Victories and Francesco Francavilla’s The Black Beetle, and the reimagination a hero from yesteryear, Captain Midnight! Join Dark Horse publisher Mike Richardson, PR director Jeremy Atkins, and a cast of the industry’s top talent, including Joe Casey (Catalyst, Sex), Francesco Francavilla (The Black Beetle), Duane Swierczynski (X, Two Past Midnight), Joshua Williamson (Captain Midnight, Masks and Mobsters), Tim Seeley and Mike Norton (Revival, The Occultist), along with comics newcomer Donny Cates (Buzzkill), for a look at an exciting new cast of characters!
2:00pm – 3:00pm – The Writer’s Journey: Breaking into Hollywood and Comic Scriptwriting
As we move from the Insight to Indies panel, we’ll address the question every aspiring writer wants answered: “How do I break into the business?” If you are an unpublished writer with dreams of making it in the transmedia marketplace and you don’t know how or where to begin, this is the panel for you. Hollywood screenwriters and graphic novel producers Brandon M. Easton (ThunderCats (2011), Transformers: Rescue Bots), Geoffrey Thorne (TNT’s Leverage, Ben 10), Jonathan Callan (Ben 10, Generator Rex), veteran screenwriter Tony Puryear (the Schwarzenegger film Eraser), and actress/writer Erika Alexander (Maxine Shaw from Living Single and Concrete Park graphic novel from Dark Horse) share insider information, publishing secrets, and the professional realities on how to develop your ideas into a viable comics proposal. Topics include how to hire artists and build a strong contract, how to seek out a publisher, and how to navigate the tough new world of intellectual property management in the digital frontier.
4:30pm – 5:30pm – Creepy and Eerie REBORN and UNDEAD
Are you ready to experience the Creepiest of the Creepy? An evil assemblage of ghoulish creators discuss all things Creepy and Eerie. Artist Jason Shawn Alexander (House of Gold and Bones), Creepy writer and editor Dan Braun, producer Josh Braun (Button Man), and moderator J. C. Vaughn (Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide) discuss the influence of the original Warren Creepy and Eerie magazines relaunched at Dark Horse in hardcover archival editions, new comic books, and artist compilation formats. They’ll also divulge details about the upcoming Creepy feature film. With very special guests and extra-spooky giveaways!
6:00pm – 7:00pm – The Goon Kickstarter and Beyond with Eric Powell and Blur Studios
Back in November, legions of fans rallied together to raise over $400,000 to put together a story reel for the David Fincher-produced feature film based on Eric Powell’s hit comic book series The Goon! Now, Kickstarter supporters and Comic-Con attendees alike will have a chance to catch an exclusive glimpse of this work in progress! Creator Eric Powell, Blur Studios owner Tim Miller, and veteran visual effects guru Jeff Fowler present an update on this crowdfunded full-length motion picture.
Friday, July 19
10:00am – 11:00am – Star Wars Comics: Here and Now
What is the current state of Star Wars comics? Join Dark Horse editor Randy Stradley and Star Wars creators Carlos D’Anda, Corinna Bechko, Gabriel Hardman, Doug Wheatley, Gabe Eltaeb, Tom Taylor, Zack Giallongo, and others for the lowdown on what’s up, what’s coming up, and why you should be reading!
2:00pm – 3:00pm – A Tribute to Kim Thompson of Fantagraphics Books
Gary Groth, Eric Reynolds, and Mike Catron of Fantagraphics Books are joined by Dark Horse’s Diana Schutz and Love and Rockets co-creator Gilbert Hernandez to celebrate the life and career of Kim Thompson, whose legacy as co-publisher of Fantagraphics and bande dessinée’s greatest ambassador in America spanned five decades.
3:00pm – 4:00pm – Four Colors of Fear: Horror in Comics Past and Present
Throughout comics’ storied history, horror has been an important part of the medium. In 2012 Dark Horse released its most ambitious horror publishing slate to date. Now, Dark Horse unveils a whole slate of new titles guaranteed to have you running for the covers! Join Dark Horse horror line editor Scott Allie, along with Eric Powell (The Goon), Tim Seeley (Hack/Slash/Ex Sanguine),Paul Tobin (Colder), Gabriel Hardman and Corinna Bechko (Station to Station), and others, for an exciting look at this year’s most promising thrills and chills!
4:00pm – 5:00pm – The Art of Video Games
Quite a bit has changed since Dark Horse first published Mass Effect in 2010, as the publisher has grown this line of books to include franchises like Last of Us, Dragon Age, Bioshock, The Legend of Zelda, and most recently, HALO and Tomb Raider! From canonical comics to beautiful hardcover art books, Dark Horse has firmly established that there is life for popular gaming franchises far beyond the games themselves. Dark Horse PR director Jeremy Atkins, creators Faith Erin Hicks and Neil Druckmann (The Last of Us), PopCap Games- Plants vs. Zombies Franchise Art Director Jeremy Vanhoozer, 343 Studios- Halo Franchise Development Director Frank O’Connor and some surprise guest writers and artists offer a look at what’s to come.
5:00pm – 6:00pm – Breaking into Comics Right Now
If you’re an aspiring comic book creator, this is a panel you don’t want to miss! Some of comic book publishing’s top decision makers, including BOOM! Studios editor-in-chief Matt Gagnon, Dark Horse editor-in-chief Scott Allie, IDW Publishing chief creative officer and editor- in-chief Chris Ryall, and Archaia editor-in-chief Stephen Christy, give you up-to-date practical advice on how to break into the comic book industry.
6:00pm – 7:00pm – Rise of the Independents
Word Balloon host John Suintres moderates a conversation with some of the brightest minds in independent comic publishing, including Image Comic’s director of business development Ron Richards, Dark Horse’s director of publicity Jeremy Atkins, BOOM! Studios’ VP of publishing and marketing Filip Sablik, and IDW’s VP of marketing Dirk Wood, discussing what they are doing to expand the marketplace.
6:15pm – 7:15pm – Dark Horse: Joss Whedon
Joss Whedon has rewarded fans the world over with some of the most compelling characters and plotlines in the history of comics, television, and movies. Here’s your chance to find out what he has in store next, and get exclusive insight into Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Serenity, and much more!
6:45pm – 7:45pm – Animation Domination High-Def
Nick Weidenfeld, head of FOX’s all-new Saturday late-night animation programming block, Animation Domination High-Def, will show an exclusive advance preview of two new animated series, Axe Cop and High School USA!, premiering July 27 on FOX. Joining Weidenfeld on the panel Q&A will be Axe Cop executive producers Matt Silverstein and Dave Jeser (Drawn Together), High School USA! creator Dino Stamatopoulos (Community), Axe Cop comic creator Ethan Nicolle, and special surprise appearances by the series’ voice talent.
8:00pm – 9:00pm – Axe Cop
Join brothers Ethan Nicolle and Malachai Nicolle, the 32-year-old and 9-year-old creators of the Dark Horse comic series Axe Cop, with surprise guests to celebrate the premiere of the new Axe Cop TV series as part of Animation Domination Hi-Def, beginning Saturday, July 27 on FOX. Panel events will include a live Ask Axe Cop Q&A, a series of staged battles between cosplayers choreographed by Malachai, and a screening of the premiere episode of Axe Cop.
8:00pm – 9:00pm – Husbands: The New Marriage
The hit series Husbands has just completed filming its first new content under its exciting new relationship with the CW, and has already had a big year with the release of the hardcover Husbands comic book. Hear about the bouquet of new plans, new stories from the set, and the show’s ring of bigger-than-big guest stars. Creators Jane Espenson and Brad Bell are joined by Husbands’ co-stars Alessandra Torresani and Sean Hemeon, director Jeff Greenstein, and upcoming guest star Amy Acker (Angel, Dollhouse, Much Ado About Nothing)to discuss the much-anticipated future happiness of the comedy. Moderated by Jeff Jensen (Entertainment Weekly).
8:00pm – 10:00pm – Syfy Presents the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards
Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront
The 25th annual Eisner Awards (the “Oscars” of the comics industry) honor comics creators and works in 30 categories. Presenters will include British talk show host/comics writer Jonathan Ross, bestselling author Neil Gaiman (The Sandman, Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neverwhere), actor John Barrowman (Doctor Who, Torchwood, Arrow), TV host Chris Hardwick(The Talking Dead, The Nerdist), nominee artist Becky Cloonan (Conan the Barbarian), Hall of Fame cartoonist Sergio Aragonés (Groo,MAD), writer/artist Bill Morrison (Bongo Comics), and voice actors Maurice LaMarche (Pinky and the Brain, Futurama), Lauren Tom (Futurama, King of the Hil), and David Herman (Office Space, Futurama), plus some special surprises! Other prestigious awards to be given out include the Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award, the Bob Clampett Humanitarian Award, the Bill Finger Award for Excellence in Comics Writing, and the Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award.
Saturday, July 20
11:00am – 12:00pm – Avatar the Last Airbender: Beginning and Beyond
This panel is for fans who can’t get enough of the Avatar: The Last Airbender universe. Moderator Avatar_Mom, Kevin Coppa (Puppetbenders), Alisa Christopher (FatCat Gameworks), Gene Luen Yang (writer, The Promise/The Search), Gurihiru (artist team Sasaki and Kawano, The Promise/The Search), Sifu Kisu (martial arts coordinator), and Dante Basco (voice of Zuko/General Iroh) will be on hand to share their experiences and answer questions. Who knows, perhaps a surprise guest or two might stop in! Finally, the panel will end with a show of talented cosplay contestants.
1:30pm – 2:30pm – Star Wars vs. Serenity
Without question, Serenity fans and Star Wars devotees are two of most passionate groups in fandom. From the ongoing charity work of the Browncoats and the 501st/Rebel Legion alike, fans have taken these two massive science fiction franchises far beyond the screen. Now, Dark Horse is set to bring these two groups together for exclusive announcements, games, prizes, and more. Join Dark Horse PR director Jeremy Atkins, editor-in- chief Scott Allie, and Dark Horse resident Jedi Randy Stradley, a cast of writers and artists, and even a few surprise guests, for what is sure to be one of these year’s most memorable programs!
3:00pm – 4:00pm – Hellboy 20th Anniversary Panel
This year’s Comic-Con marks the 20th anniversary of Mike Mignola’s best-loved beast. Hellboy has achieved the status in the industry typically reserved for characters created 40 years before him. Following up on the first arc on one of his most popular miniseries to date, the all-new Abe Sapien ongoing series, and the continuing adventures of the supporting cast of the BPRD, this will be one of the biggest Hellboy panels to date! Join creator Mike Mignola and Dark Horse editor-in-chief Scott Allie, for an open forum on your favorite cast of characters.
Sunday, July 21
10:00am – 11:00am – Emily the Strange Panel Experience
Join Emily the Strange creator Rob Reger and special guests to see the premiere of the Emily and the Strangers FIRST animated music video and single. See and hear private, behind-the-scenes footage in the recording studio and “making of” the animation. Take a sneak peek at the new comic book Emily and the Strangers #3 by Dark Horse Comics and hear more about the making of this new series and how it comes to life with Emily’s new band. There will be time for Q&A, including updates on the development of the motion picture with Universal Pictures and Dark Horse Entertainment. Reger will be encouraging “audience participation” to get giveaways, so bring on your strange and show him what you’ve got!