MOVIES: Strange things are afoot in the H'wood

TELEVISION: Beware the Batman

1. June 24, 2013 at 12:01 pm — Reply

I think he saw a different version of Chronicle than I did, because more than 17 people died in that end fight.

I also find it funny that the destruction was his big problem with Man of Steel when his own film “kind of” started the trend of superhero movies destroying towns.

2. Phillip
    June 24, 2013 at 12:47 pm — Reply

This is kind of amazing, and probably the most articulate argument I’ve heard thus far concerning the violent end of the film (and I say this as someone who initially did not have a problem with it).

3. Oldcomicfan
    June 24, 2013 at 2:13 pm — Reply

What is this a** hole smoking? I read Max Landis’ resume – and most of the stuff he’s done, I never heard of. And I think I do know Superman a hell of a lot better than he does. Been reading Superman since the early sixties and I’ve seen the early TV show with George Reeves and all the Superman movies, and I wasn’t stoned out of my mind when I saw Man of Steel. So I think I’m probably better qualified to make judgements about Superman than this pr**k. Man of Steel? Great movie. Death of Zod – well, I had a problem with it, but Landis was right about one point – Zod made his choice and Supes had no option but to respond. As to the city being wrecked. Hell, Supes had three Kryptonian ships firing at him and three or more Kryptonians beating the snot out of him ALL AT THE SAME TIME and he’s going to be able to stop buildings from caving in, put out fires, pick up litter and rescue kittens in the middle of all that? I think not. I also think Mr. Landis needs to A.: Get over himself and B.: Get into a 12 Step program. What a flake.

• June 24, 2013 at 8:26 pm — Reply

The nerd rage is strong with this one.

• Mike
      June 24, 2013 at 9:07 pm — Reply

I think he might have been talking from a directorial and story standpoint, not from a “why didn’t Superman save all those people?” standpoint. It’s not that Superman didn’t save people from dying (until the end, and I’m with him as well on the “adult vs. adult” opinion), it’s that the screenwriter/director chose to have that kind of death and destruction in the film in the first place.

4. Sean
    June 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm — Reply

Well I think your refering more to the fight in Smallville as opposed to the fight in Metropolis. Superman shoulda and coulda stopped that. The Superman we all know and love would have done everything in his power to stop that. Except he didn’t. Killing Zod isn’t much of a problem for me. I even agree with Landis feelings about Supes killing Zod, however I also agree with Waid and feel that Superman also hadn’t earned the right to kill Zob up to that point. It isn’t so much rationalizing it in the movie, and more coming to the realization that Goyer went way overboard with those scenes. Clark didn’t even try to get Zod out of the city during their fight. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve heard say that although they loved the film, “why didn’t Superman just take Zod to a cornfield?” There should have been more scenes of Superman distraught over the destruction. Of him being depressed that he couldn’t make it in time to stop it. Except we get more smiles and Jenny(NOT) Olson saying he saved us. Actually it was the General who saved you personally Jenny, not Superman.