This week’s Major Spoilers Podcast, aside from incoherence on my part, focuses on several instances of strange visitors from outer space, notably ROM: Spaceknight and some movie about that one red-caped guy from DC Comics who totally ripped off ROM by also crashing to Earth from space.  When you think about it, there are an awful lot of human-looking aliens in the various imaginary universes, and a great many of them are indistinguishable from humans in any meaningful way, going so far in some cases as to be capable of cross-species reproduction.  While we all know why this happens (limited budgets, audience identification, simplicity of design, blah blah blah fishcakes) the best part is the various in-universe explanations of WHY this happens, from the ‘Star Trek: TNG’ common ancestor explanation (notably, one of the series’ weakest episodes) to the Doctor’s rather cheeky response of “I don’t look human, you look Time Lord.”

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) sometimes doesn’t mind this trope in practice, especially when the aliens look like this, asking: Who’s your favorite not-so-alien alien?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

SOLICITATIONS: Arcana announces Bill Paxton project

TRAILERS: International Riddick Trailer

1. June 19, 2013 at 11:33 am — Reply

The dog on MIB

2. SmarkingOut Adam
    June 19, 2013 at 12:18 pm — Reply

Karolina Dean from Marvel’s Runaways.

3. June 19, 2013 at 12:58 pm — Reply

To quote a certain BBC character, “I look human? Time Lords came first! You look Time Lord!”

• June 19, 2013 at 12:59 pm — Reply

Sorry. It deserved to be repeated.

4. Hezzie
    June 19, 2013 at 1:29 pm — Reply

Since superman and the doctor have already been taken, then i’m gonna say Keanu Reeves, just because he got so close to having us all fooled about his humanity, but is still somewhat in the uncanny valley when it comes to facial expressions.

Ooooo, or Ford Prefect from the hitchhikers guide. Never seen the movie, but i’m pretty sure he’s indistinguishable from a human in the books.

5. Ricco
    June 19, 2013 at 7:15 pm — Reply

Matthew, we all know no human can contain that much pop culture information in his brain! he has no recent picture either, think about it…

Also most of the cast in Star Wars, there are all aliens seen how there doesn’t seem to be an Earth in that universe.

• June 19, 2013 at 11:11 pm — Reply

There is technically an Earth in the Star Wars universe, it is just in another galaxy entirely (Remember the first words are “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…”). And we don’t know exactly how long “A long time ago” is, so it could be anywhere from primordial goo Earth to prehistoric Earth to medieval Earth and so on.

• June 20, 2013 at 7:05 am — Reply

I’ve made no secret of my half-Kryptonian heritage.

Of course, the origin of the OTHER half of my heritage is, less notably, Auton.

6. June 19, 2013 at 11:42 pm — Reply

I’d have to say me, because I’m still not entirely convinced my biological father isn’t at least part alien. He was born about 9 months after the Roswell New Mexico crash, and it would explain so very, very much. Although I’d technically only be part alien, but that could explain why I’m allergic to human blood (I’m not kidding).

Half joking aside (How sad is that?), I’m rather partial to certain alien races rather than individuals, like Twi’lek, Klingon, Time Lord and Kryptonian.

For individuals, my top three favorites are (in no particular order) Aayla Secura (Twi’lek), Kara Zor-El (Kryptonian) and The Doctor (Time Lord).

7. June 20, 2013 at 12:22 am — Reply

I dunno. The incomparable Dejah Thoris? Uncle Martin? Aeryn Sun? Kro-Bar and Lattis? Kolak of twylo as long as you don’t look at the back of his head.

• June 20, 2013 at 1:29 am — Reply

I keep forgetting Aeryn Sun isn’t human.

8. Oldcomicfan
    June 20, 2013 at 6:48 am — Reply

I was going to say Gilligan. No human could be that stupid and survive. Then I watched C-Span…

9. Rome
    June 20, 2013 at 9:20 am — Reply

Captain Marvel (original only please… ok, maybe Genis Vel under Peter David’s pen, too, but that’s it!)

But I think it’s hilarious that the vast majority of Kree are blue, except for the one who becomes Earth’s champion. He is pink. That always cracked me up.

• June 22, 2013 at 10:38 am — Reply

Billy Batson was an alien??