This weekend at the shop (Gatekeeper Hobbies, Huntoon & Gage, Topeka!  Ask me about our blow-out Dennis The Menace sale!), Chris The Counter Guy bought a rather enormous batch of comics featuring a copy of Son Of Satan #1, a book that I immediately filed under “No Way They’d Get Away With That Today.”  The batch also features a copy of Tod Holton, Super Green Beret #2, a couple of Howard The Duck comics, and some mixed schadenfreude/nostalgia for a time when the stories might have seemed goofy, but not every character was a nearly-interchangable bad@$$ ninja and/or armored powerhouse.  Though my discomfort with the cavalier comic-book treatment of theological issues makes Son of Satan somewhat disturbing to read about, I keep thinking that, if a minor Hulk villain can become the most popular super-character in history, there might still be legs in the likes of the Fat Fury or The Hell-Rider…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) has nonetheless always kind of liked Daimon Hellstrom as a character, asking: What seemingly ridiculous or outdated character would you most like to see successfully revived?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

THE MERCH: How much would the Fortress of Solitude cost?

REVIEW: Miss Fury #3

1. June 12, 2013 at 11:35 am — Reply

Super Chief. Absolutely the first thing that popped into my mind. A Native American superhero that used a Buffalo head as a mask. I used to LOVE those stories in some of the old “Giant Sized Reprint” DC books back in the 70’s.

• Ian
      June 12, 2013 at 4:53 pm — Reply

They brought him back during a recent maxi-series (52?) but he died I think

2. June 12, 2013 at 12:10 pm — Reply

I still think DC could make a great young readers title that still takes place in the main DCU featuring G’nort. Of course I was also fond of Plastic Man as a member of the JLA (I still love when he pretended to be a dress for Barda), so I’m open to the idea of heroes that aren’t serious (or even sane). They could give G’nort another Lantern ring (I’d say he’d be a perfect Blue Lantern) or some other powers (maybe someone can fix his Darkstars uniform or give him some other equipment) and he could have silly adventures with both big-name heroes and really ridiculous characters (both new and existing characters). Maybe he could team up with Ambush Bug and have reality hopping adventures akin to a cross between Marvel’s “Exiles” and an acid trip.

I’d also like to see the old cartoon “COPS” (fighting crime in a future time!, not the FOX reality series) revived. It is pretty cheesy even for when it was made, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t also awesome.

• June 12, 2013 at 1:09 pm — Reply

Gnort returned as a Green Lantern in the conclusion of the “First Lantern” war this month in a brief cameo.

• June 12, 2013 at 1:19 pm — Reply

Really? About time!

• Eh, Steve!
          June 12, 2013 at 9:52 pm — Reply

That’s what Guy said too!

I’d ask for more G’Nort, but I have given up on most of DC, not really caring for the New 52. But if they brought back the JLA (Antarctica!)…

3. Gary
    June 12, 2013 at 3:47 pm — Reply

GROOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ian
      June 12, 2013 at 4:52 pm — Reply

Groo vs Asterix deathmatch

4. Arbor Day
    June 12, 2013 at 4:33 pm — Reply

Slapstick, I like the power set, the cartoonish humor, and it was pretty interesting the way he was slowly turning into a villain.

• June 13, 2013 at 12:08 am — Reply

I almost listed Slapstick, but very few people ever seem to remember him despite the fact he’s had appearances as recently as the Civil War storyline.

Also, I think I’m a bit biased because one of my own characters has a very similar power (turning in to a living cartoon character) and as soon as the Slapstick series came out all those years ago, I had hoped that if I ever published my comics and had a crossover with Marvel, it would involve those two characters meeting.

5. Ian
    June 12, 2013 at 4:51 pm — Reply

Brother Power

6. June 12, 2013 at 5:20 pm — Reply

Count Duckula, or Danger Mouse. Either of these could make for a fun series, even one written for kids.

7. Goofball814
    June 12, 2013 at 5:45 pm — Reply

U.S. 1

We are sorely missing a hero for the truck-drivers of our country!

8. June 12, 2013 at 6:36 pm — Reply

Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew!

9. AllenBT
    June 12, 2013 at 7:12 pm — Reply

Devil and Moon-Boy!

10. B.V.K.
    June 12, 2013 at 8:28 pm — Reply

Earthworm Jim. I would be happy with just another side scrolling game, but I am a fan of almost all the Doug TenNapel books as well and would like to see a proper Earthworm Jim comic book treatment.

11. austinbates91
    June 13, 2013 at 5:47 pm — Reply

Howard the duck hands down. i know he’s still featured in stuff from time to time but i would live for him to come back to a monthly book.