Diamond Comic Distributors has released the top ten comics sold in the direct market for May 2013.  The list is dominated by Marvel, with titles that make up 60% of the top ten, with the other 40% going to DC Comics. With that kind of ratio, it comes as no surprise that Marvel was the top publisher in May grabbing 33.36% of the market share in retail dollars, and 37.44% of the market share in units.

While the constant back and forth between Marvel and DC continues, but big news for comic fans and retailers is how sales compare to previous measuring periods.  The good news is comic sales increased by 7% over April, and up 15% compared to May 2012.

Take the jump for the Top Ten Comics and Publishers for May 2013, and check back next week, when we should have the listing of the top 300 books for May.

PUBLISHERDOLLAR
SHARE
UNIT
SHARE
MARVEL COMICS33.36%37.44%
DC COMICS28.27%30.84%
IMAGE COMICS7.48%8.11%
IDW PUBLISHING6.28%4.77%
DARK HORSE COMICS4.73%4.36%
DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT3.50%3.30%
BOOM! STUDIOS2.97%2.63%
EAGLEMOSS PUBLICATIONS LTD1.57%0.37%
AVATAR PRESS INC0.92%0.76%
ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC0.90%0.82%
OTHER NON-TOP 1010.02%6.60%
RANKDESCRIPTIONPRICEVENDOR
1X-MEN #1$3.99MAR
2BATMAN #20$3.99DC
3JUSTICE LEAGUE #20$3.99DC
4AGE OF ULTRON #7$3.99MAR
5AGE OF ULTRON #8$3.99MAR
6SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #9$3.99MAR
7SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #10$3.99MAR
8JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #3$3.99DC
9ALL NEW X-MEN #11$3.99MAR
10DETECTIVE COMICS #20$3.99DC

via Diamond Comic Distributors

The Author

Stephen Schleicher

Stephen Schleicher

Stephen Schleicher began his career writing for the Digital Media Online community of sites, including Digital Producer and Creative Mac covering all aspects of the digital content creation industry. He then moved on to consumer technology, and began the Coolness Roundup podcast. A writing fool, Stephen has freelanced for Sci-Fi Channel's Technology Blog, and Gizmodo. Still longing for the good ol' days, Stephen launched Major Spoilers in July 2006, because he is a glutton for punishment.

You can follow him on Twitter @MajorSpoilers and tell him your darkest secrets...

Previous post

Zach on Film is missing this week

Next post

Jason Reads Comics for June 05, 2013 - Image Comics

1 Comment

  1. joe
    June 7, 2013 at 11:08 am — Reply

    While 6 titles to 4 titles is technically 60% to 40%, it isn’t exactly a mandate.

You know you have something to say, say it in the comment section