Though The Doctor has been through a number of incarnations since the television show debuted 50 years ago, the announcement that Matt Smith is stepping down, once again has the Intardwebz in a kerfuffle. But the prospect of the How and Why and What Happens Next should be a bigger draw than that bemoan the fact that change is occurring…right?

Are you excited about the coming of a new Doctor?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

SOLICITATIONS: Marvel shows of Infinity #2 cover

SOLICITATIONS: Zenescope titles for August 2013

1. Ricco
    June 4, 2013 at 11:53 am — Reply

Not really, I was finally warming up to Matt Smith as the new Doctor, plus John Hurt will forever be the evil Prime Minister from V from Vendetta in my eyes…

I really think casting a well known actor as the Doctor is a bad move, I feel it’s detrimental to the character.

2. Praion
    June 4, 2013 at 11:58 am — Reply

Scholar Question (Mathew?)

The first Doctor – is he in the body he was born in or is he the first regeneration?

• June 4, 2013 at 1:30 pm — Reply

Unless there’s been a retcon I wasn’t aware of (or, if you interpret “The Brain Of Morbius” a certain way), the First Doctor is the FIRST Doctor. But, they could change that, easily, given the impetus.

• June 4, 2013 at 4:34 pm — Reply

I believe in ‘Nightmare in Silver’ the Cyber Planner notes that the Doctor is the eleventh incarnation, as well, seemingly re-affirming the numbering.

3. Praion
    June 4, 2013 at 11:58 am — Reply

And i am totally exited!

4. June 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm — Reply

Not really, since I’m afraid they’ll have to reboot something else I enjoyed about Classic Who and find some ridiculous work-around for the regeneration limit or drop it altogether. Either way, it’ll feel like another “we’re fixing this lame thing from the old show” occasion that misses the point of what made the old show so good. So even if they hire a great actor & use a great hook, it’ll still feel blech.

5. Frank
    June 4, 2013 at 12:34 pm — Reply

@ Praion
    It was the first incarnation of The Doctor, prior to his first regeneration. (source BBC profile of the Doctor)

6. Dino
    June 4, 2013 at 12:40 pm — Reply

I said yes, but I just want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Smith’s tenure, just as I enjoyed Tennant’s and Eccleston’s tenures. I am always curious about what a new actor can bring to the table.

7. SmarkingOut Adam
    June 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm — Reply

Not at all. I tried to get into Dr. Who, watching a season and a half (Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant) and it just wasn’t for me.

8. June 4, 2013 at 2:25 pm — Reply

I’m just a casual Dr. Who fan, so not really.

9. June 4, 2013 at 4:42 pm — Reply

Yeah, a new Doctor is always interesting, and offers a chance to re-invent the show, take it in new directions, slough off certain bits of baggage, and make certain clean breaks.

The twelve regeneration limit was never going to stand as a piece of canon once the show successfully relaunched and the relaunch Doctor only lasted a single season.

10. June 4, 2013 at 5:28 pm — Reply

Seems like you’re jumping to the conclusion that John Hurt is going to be the ongoing new Doctor. I think he’s going to be explained in the 50th anniversary show aa a one-shot. The Matt Smith Doctor seems to refer to him someone out of his past, not his future self. My vote would be for Chris O’Dowd or Summer Glau.

• Ricco
      June 4, 2013 at 6:57 pm — Reply

Could be, anyone else want the new Doctor to be ginger girl then?

Just for the joke of when we got Matt Smith :)

• June 4, 2013 at 7:41 pm — Reply

What makes you think that?

• June 5, 2013 at 2:46 am — Reply

There have also been a few articles with interviews with John Hurt where he kinda slips that he isn’t a future incarnation, but is rather the Doctor from the Time War.

• June 5, 2013 at 10:09 am — Reply

They also said it in the show, Smith said he was a past version of himself who did not earn the right to go by the name The Doctor.

11. Nick S.
    June 4, 2013 at 7:25 pm — Reply

I’ll miss the hell out of Matt Smith, but I’m excited for a new Doctor. Part of me wants them to tell me who the new guy (or gal) is NOW and part wants them to keep it a secret until the Christmas special.

12. June 4, 2013 at 8:00 pm — Reply

As much as I enjoy Matt Smith as the Doctor it is one of the best parts of the show is meeting the new personality.

13. June 4, 2013 at 10:21 pm — Reply

I’m not really excited, but I’m not disappointed either. 3 or 4 seasons seems to be an average run of a Doctor actor.

But I am a little excited for what will come next. Every incarnation of the Doctor is a little different, and that extends to how they react to situations during their adventures.