Lucasfilm, Disney Publishing Worldwide, and its publishing partners announced today the second annual Star Wars Reads Day to be held this October 5, 2013. Last year, 30 authors and 1,500 costumed volunteers participated in over 1,200 Star Wars Reads Day events across North America. On October 5 of this year, Star Wars fans, authors, and artists will again come together in this multi-publisher initiative that celebrates reading and Star Wars. Participating publishing partners include Abrams, Chronicle Books, Dark Horse, Del Rey, DK, Quirk Books, Random House Audio, Scholastic, Titan Magazines, and Workman.
“Star Wars Reads Day is the kind of initiative that we at Lucasfilm love to support” says Carol Roeder, Director of Publishing at Lucasfilm. “Reading and Star Wars have gone hand-in-hand since 1976, when the novelization of the original Star Wars movie was released. Over the years, many fans have discovered the joy in reading through Star Wars books, and we hope to continue encouraging more people to read.”
Official Star Wars Reads Day author events are already confirmed at the following locations:
- Ann Arbor, MI – Barnes & Noble
- Austin, TX – Barnes & Noble
- Carle Place, NY – Barnes & Noble
- Cincinnati, OH – Joseph-Beth Booksellers
- Denver, CO – Tattered Cover
- Madison, WI – Barnes & Noble
- New York, NY – The Scholastic Store
- Portland, OR – Wordstock Festival
- Redondo Beach, CA – Mysterious Galaxy
- Richmond, VA – bbgb
- Roseville, MN – Barnes & Noble
- San Francisco, CA – Books Inc.
- Seattle, WA – University Bookstore
- Warwick, RI – Barnes & Noble
For updates and more information, follow Star Wars Reads on Facebook:
An official Star Wars event kit (free of charge), including reproducible activity sheets and trivia, will be available for download at: http://starwars.com/reads/
Lucasfilm, STAR WARS™ and related properties are trademarks and/or copyrights, in the United States and other countries, of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. TM & © Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.