Recent events in the universe have conspired to once again remind me that, in many cases, the things that are the most strange are also the most fun to figure out.  Every wedding, I try to figure out why in the world anyone would ever want to do The Chicken Dance, but grown adults with no trace of whimsy will still crowd onto the dance floor to play that particular reindeer game.  When it comes to TV, many of my friends are crazy for ‘Adventure Time,’ which seems to be all the possible bits and tropes of all possible adventure stories thrown all together in a mish-mash of time, space, dimension and amorphous canines.  I’m still puzzled by the thing, myself, but given that my favorite show of the last three years is about pirates who turn into superheroes who turn into other superheroes and travel around in a flying pirate ship that transforms into a giant robot pirate, I realize that I have no room to sit in judgement.  Which, in turn, begs a query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) also has great love in its heart for young omnivore Tenzil Kem of the far-flung future planet Bismoll (capitol: Pepto), asking: What’s the absolute weirdest thing that you nonetheless love?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Critical Hit #202: The episode you've been waiting for

REVIEW: Superior Spider-Man #10

1. June 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm — Reply

Back in the early 2000s I was in love with White Ninja Comics. Same with Bob the Angry Flower. Two bizzare comics for entirely different reasons.

2. June 1, 2013 at 2:23 pm — Reply

The entire Disgaea universe. The cosmology is just familiar enouh to be extra baffling, the characters are “noble demons” at their bet, and any drama is done alongside a penance/reincarnation system that involves stuffing souls into dolls shaped like penguins that compel them to say “dood” & for e them to do crap work. It’s a game series designed to punish those who think it’s perfectly fine & fun to power through without proper level grinding, and it still embraces a pixelated or illustrated look. Gamers hate it cuz it’s too cute, anime fans hate it cuz it’s too light hearted (though not completely so), yet it’s a perfectly odd obsession for me. Any game series where throwing an explosing penguin is a viable tactic is fine in my world.

3. June 1, 2013 at 2:34 pm — Reply

I love Reid Fleming, World’s Toughest Milkman, which came up in a QOTD the other day. It’s bizarre, hilarious, and just one of those things designed for a specific audience. People to whom it speaks, love it beyond measure, everyone else sort of squints, shake their heads, and move on.

4. gary
    June 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm — Reply
  5. Rob
    June 1, 2013 at 7:34 pm — Reply

Tank Girl the movie or Cole Porter broke my brain as it’s known in my house.

• June 2, 2013 at 8:23 am — Reply

Rob, this clip shut my entire office down for two days….total halt….

6. B.V.K.
    June 1, 2013 at 7:40 pm — Reply

I still like the old Ren and Stimpy cartoons. With Powdered Toast Man, golden hairballs and the flying butt plyers, that show was friggin weird but always cracked me up.

7. Hannah
    June 1, 2013 at 8:12 pm — Reply

This is tough, I’ve got wierd taste so it could be such a long list. I’ll try to keep it short though.
    In no particular order:
    Captain Dynamic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs Yes, that is Ed Robertson from The Barenaked Ladies.

Bunny and The Bull, an amazing film that is completely bizarre, hillarious, and suprizingly touching.

Pirates of The Great Salt Lake, if you ever thought Forest Gump and Pirates of the Caribean could be the same film, this is for you.

Coffee and Cigarettes, another strange and wonderful movie, an understated form of hillarious.

And this, http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/02222010 you’ll love it, trust me.

I have so many others that I feel like I should mention, so I’m going to but I’m not going to say why I love them, just look them up. Redline, bettermyths.com, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwQC-7Z7u8 (I know I said no linking, but you’ll never find this othwise, also, VERY NSFW), Rugburn, Trogdor.

There’s more, but I won’t torture you with it.

8. June 1, 2013 at 10:43 pm — Reply

G’nort and Perdoo, two very strange Green Lanterns. G’nort was originally part of a “fake” Green Lantern Corps the Qwardians used to discredit the GL Corps and managed to get an actual ring in the end. Perdoo was from an alien planet of chicken people and was actually not fearless, but insane.

Adventure Time, Venture Bros. and Regular Show are pretty full of “WTF?” moments, but they are fun to watch.

“Half-Life: Full-Life Consequences” is the weirdest (and best) fanfic ever.

• June 2, 2013 at 8:24 am — Reply

I would buy a lifetime subscription to a G’nort, Perdoo, and Driq teambook :)

9. June 2, 2013 at 3:02 am — Reply

60s DC plots. Just read one where the inventor of the giant mechanical cow that supplies milk to Asteroid Belt homesteaders started producing Hard milk, Elastic milk, Lavender milk and Purple milk … and Tommy Tomorrow, searching for its missing inventor, deduced that, obviously, the inventor had been trapped inside the cow, and was calling for help (H=hard, E =elastic, etc).

10. June 2, 2013 at 8:25 am — Reply

In no certain order, :
    DC’s Metal Men
    Digimon
    Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew

• June 2, 2013 at 9:52 am — Reply

Digimon is in no way strange! I find it perfectly acceptable to think there could be a digital alternate reality where some of the lifeforms happen to resemble small coiled piles of, uh, “waste”.

The really sad thing is I actually mean that.

• June 2, 2013 at 4:53 pm — Reply