In college, one of the running gags that Otter Disaster and I would engage in was the conceit that he was drawn by Steve Ditko and that I was drawn by Jack Kirby.  (To this day, the tips of my fingers are squares.)  While this usually made for little more than idle chatter, the occasions have popped up in the ensuing 20 years wherein I’ve met people who look like they were drawn by particular artists.  One of my co-workers at the comic store looks like a Gilbert Shelton character, a former boss looks like John Byrne’s rendition of Captain America, and I consider myself very lucky to be able to say I know a woman who looks as though she stepped right off an Adam Hughes cover, and that she did fulfill all the delightful expectations such a statement might create…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) doesn’t even really care for any of the characters in Excalibur particularly, asking: If you could pick an artist to design your dream date, what artist would you choose and why?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

TRAILERS: First trailers for Machete Kills arrive

ART APPRECIATION MOMENT OF THE DAY: Mr. Florey

1. May 31, 2013 at 11:34 am — Reply

I’m caught between Adam Hughes and James McKelvie. Adam Hughe’ ‘Fairest’ covers are breathtakingly gorgeous… but nobody draws eyes like McKelvie does.

2. May 31, 2013 at 11:38 am — Reply

Mike Grell. Grell Legion women. Nuff said.

3. May 31, 2013 at 11:46 am — Reply

Part of me would pick J. Scott Campbell for the sexy-cute girls that he’s always done. I’ve actually met a few girls that look like they could be one of his drawings (aside from not being disproportionate as many “sexy” comic ladies are). I have a close friend I swear to this day is almost an exact lookalike for his old renditions of Freefall from Gen13 (and yes, I’m TRYING to get her to dress up like her for, uh, not-naughty purposes, yep!).

But I think I’d have to say Adam Hughes since his ladies are always gorgeous.

4. May 31, 2013 at 11:56 am — Reply

Steve Rude.

5. May 31, 2013 at 11:58 am — Reply

Neal Adams, hands down. As a confused gay kid in the 70s, his portrayals of male characters always resonated with me. Decades later, I still really enjoy his work.
    Grell would be a close second, but I just can’t forgive him for that Cosmic Boy costume… (It really did a number on my 12-year-old brain!)

6. Frank
    May 31, 2013 at 12:32 pm — Reply

The femme Fatale’s of Will Eisner. They always have this sultry, sexy look.

7. Jacob
    May 31, 2013 at 2:17 pm — Reply

For me it would be Frazetta. I like voluptuous women!

8. SmarkingOut Adam
    May 31, 2013 at 2:46 pm — Reply

I just can’t get past the fact that MS-QOTD doesn’t like Excalibur! My favorite character is in that team and at one time I had almost the entire run! Okay, even I could have done without Kylun, but the core team was great!

9. Kirby
    May 31, 2013 at 3:00 pm — Reply

TaZ made me remember Mike Grell, cause if there is one thing that man is excellent at is drawing women & men who just make me want to go DAMN. The people of Warlord especially now how to cut a figure.

Amanda Conner at close second, I do like women that have that cute face that is rounded just enough.

Now if I were going for a woman with completely unrealistic proportions Budd Root

10. Gary
    May 31, 2013 at 4:49 pm — Reply

Well, I’m fairly newish to comics, so just spent 20 minutes looking through all the aforementioned artists. I think I’ve got to go with Steve Rude with a close second to McKelvie. All the rest are various levels of unrealistic (not that your dream date has to be realistic mind you; if it’s not, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment though…).

While not surprising that the women tend to range from buxom to OMG-how-can-she-stand-upright, I never really noticed before that they look like they are all 6 foot tall or more. You see variety of hair, face, skin, etc — but not much variety in height. Interesting considering that a lot of guys tend to go for women that are shorter than them…

11. May 31, 2013 at 5:33 pm — Reply

JH Williams III, dem realistic proportions.

12. B.V.K.
    May 31, 2013 at 8:04 pm — Reply

Gotta go with Frank Cho. As for the why, just look at Liberty Hills and 50 Girls 50. I actually knew a girl in college who looked a lot like Brandi.

13. Oldcomicfan
    June 1, 2013 at 8:03 am — Reply

Well, Mike Grell is near the top of my list, and Howard Chaykin might be except all his lovely ladies end up looking like a mash-up between high class and trailer trash hookers, even if they are not either. So my top pick would be Dave Stevens. Need you even ask why?