Lords of the Feywild

This episode of Critical Hit, A Major Spoilers Dungeons and Dragons Podcast: A giant Tempest Toad! AAAAAAH!

Take the Major Spoilers Survey!

NOTE: Images for this episode will appear next week.

[podcast]http://traffic.libsyn.com/majorspoilers/criticalhit201.mp3[/podcast]

Contact us at podcast@majorspoilers.com

GAMING: Kaijudo -- Clash of the Duel Masters

Major Spoilers Question Of The Day: In The Clothing-Optional Future Edition

1. BRZA
    May 25, 2013 at 10:46 am — Reply

Great fight, though Rodrigo certainly should have added a domination attack. All hail the hypnotoad.

2. May 26, 2013 at 4:56 am — Reply

Were all those ‘KILL IT’ moments coming from Trelle or Adriana? Either way, it was good to hear.

3. Marco
    May 26, 2013 at 9:17 am — Reply

So many jokes this episode, love it

4. May 26, 2013 at 9:26 am — Reply

I love that monster. So much fun to use as gm. However fighters are Really good against it if they get swallowed. Still, probably my favorite monster.

5. May 26, 2013 at 11:02 am — Reply

Awesome fight, but how was this episode not titled: “Torq take ten”?

• Firefox
      May 26, 2013 at 2:09 pm — Reply

or Torq: Frog Food

• litanyofthieves
      May 26, 2013 at 9:26 pm — Reply

In Canada we have a coffee and donuts chain called Tim Hortons, and the big bulk coffee jugs they sell are called “Take Tens”, so I just got all these images of Torq having to guzzle a bunch of coffee like a cartoon character.

6. Mandor
    May 26, 2013 at 5:35 pm — Reply

Another amazing episode!

I just noticed though, episode 104 is entitled “Level 9” and now we’re up to episode 201 and the party’s Level 12.

I was just wondering, since we’re looking at four-ish levels in two-ish years, are you guys keeping it low-level deliberately?

I know that it’s probably just that there’s not all that many encounters – which is wonderful! – but I’d like to think that the characters will actually reach their Epic Destinies at some point.

And at this rate we may be looking at decades? I don’t really mind, I’ll be listening all the same, but I’m definitely curious!

Would it be possible for the rules to be ever so slightly bent in favour of roleplaying-derived XP, perhaps? It’s such a huge contributor to the characters in the listeners eyes (ears?) – the awesomeness of the PCs comes more from the group’s RPing than their battle-prowess.

For what it’s worth I don’t think listeners would abandon the show *at all* if Orem, Randus, Torq, Ket and Trelle were to reach Level 30, and I realise this isn’t the reason for the pacing, but I think it’s important to put that out there.

Other new PCs can enter the same world and grow the same plots if the group so wished, similar to the “other half” episodes, and I don’t think I’d even blink at it, especially if Demigod Ket, Archmage Orem etc. were to show up as cameos – it’d be fantastic actually.

I’m rambling so I’ll leave it there but I’m genuinely interested what everyone thinks.

Thanks!

• May 26, 2013 at 9:16 pm — Reply

I actually rarely find myself thinking about what level they are. It actually is kind of refreshing that there’s no sense of “rush” to get to the next level for the next cool power! That’s perhaps in part to the fact that none of the players seem to be too concerned with that as well.

Take your time, guys. Keep weaving a fantastic story.

• Mandor
        May 27, 2013 at 3:22 am — Reply

Well – agreed! As I said, I only noticed in this episode about the levels. I never really noticed it either to be honest. As I said, the group “weaving a fantastic story” isn’t dependent on slow levelling. I’m glad people aren’t “rushing for a new power” but I wouldn’t expect that with faster levelling any moreso than with slower.

It’s not just that the story of these particular PCs will take decades that bothers me – it’s that these PCs seem to *deserve* more XP than they are granted. They levelled once or twice (depending how you read their early paragon ascension) throughout the Feywild arc so far. I feel that in a year of play the PCs have come on more than one or two levels in epicness.

But then maybe that’s just me!

7. Colin Brady
    May 27, 2013 at 12:12 am — Reply

Stephen said friendship is magic.

Does this mean Trelle is teaching Orem the magic of friendship?

Does this mean Orem is Twilight Sparkle?

8. May 27, 2013 at 3:07 am — Reply

he totally is. Torq is Applejack, Trelle is Fluttershy, Randus is Spike, and Ket?

why he’s Rarity of course!

• Aspiring Spambot
      May 28, 2013 at 9:53 pm — Reply

Seven Owls Wise was definitely Rainbow Dash.

Why am I encouraging this?

9. PureChaosDI
    May 27, 2013 at 8:55 am — Reply

I’ve just noticed something, what happened to Orem’s paragon path? i know that it is the wizard of the spiral tower (or something like that). But I don’t think that you ever truly closed that loop. Is there something that I’m missing?

• May 31, 2013 at 10:27 pm — Reply

closed that loop? Orem uses his paragon path all the time. He may not spend an action point to regain the use of an encounter power, but it comes up. He does use Wand of Accuracy with a sword (level 11 Paragon path feature), he does use The One Sword power all the time (level 11 paragon path power), and he uses Shape the Dream when he can too (level 12 paragon path utility power)…

10. May 27, 2013 at 12:39 pm — Reply

I really liked this fight, specially because it had been a while since the last one.

Regarding levels and stuff, yes, they don’t come up very often because they do not fight that much, but I feel they should be a little higher level by now. They did manage to ‘save’ the four seasonal sovereigns after all… But anyways, it was a great fight and another fantastic episode so kudos to you guys!

11. ceiligirl72
    May 31, 2013 at 11:40 am — Reply

Quickening – reference to the Highlander movie series and TV series (which was sooooooooo much better). Any sci-fi nerd worth her salt probably had a crush on Adrien Paul at some point. Awesome episode!

12. May 31, 2013 at 10:24 pm — Reply

I heard Adriana mention it, and Rodrigo said no.. so, is it an official CH house rule then, that “extra damage” dice are not maximized on a crit, the way they are supposed to be as per the rules?

I love this series, and I often refer people new to 4e over here to enjoy the series, and to familiarize themselves with the rules.. but I usually have to inform them of the house rules, so that they are aware..

13. Chase
    June 3, 2013 at 8:19 pm — Reply

I can’t believe no one mentioned this, but Adrianna you were on point in this episode. Usually your combat turns can get pretty long as you figure out what you want to do, but there was little of that here.

Congrats on gaining your sea legs.

14. Ben
    October 2, 2013 at 8:54 am — Reply

Well, it seems like they game more than they do because each session is broken down into multiple episodes. If each episode is around an hour fifteen (and ignoring Q&A, character building and mialbag) then 4 episodes = a 5 hour session – so 100 episodes is 25 sessions or around 1 level per 8 sessions.