After recent events in Uncanny X-Force, it has become clear that Fantomex (who once possessed three brains in a single body) has now been separated into three selves: One good, one evil, one female.  Moreover, his good self and his female self have embarked on what seems to be a romantic relationship, even though their demeanor and dress sense indicates that they’re still pretty much the same person.  This particular plot twist freaks me out more than the revelation that ultimate Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch might be partners, for some reason, even though Pietro and Wanda are fraternal twins.  Given that Wolverine’s relationship with HIS female clone (and, also, why are there so many opposite-gender clones running about?) is more parental than anything, the whole thing is equal parts sci-fi brilliance and perversity.  (Except the brother/sister love affair, that’s 100% the latter.)

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) believes that we may have hit on one of the great science-fiction conundrums, asking: Is it creepy that Fantomex and his female clone are dating?  Could you court your own opposite gender clone?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

COMICS PORTAL: The Latest in Crossover Magic

ADVANCE MOVIE REVIEW: Now You See Me

1. May 15, 2013 at 11:33 am — Reply

Simple answer: Hell yes and Hell NO, respectively.

2. May 15, 2013 at 12:46 pm — Reply

In the bizarro world of superheroics? Perhaps.

Presumably, you and your clone would share the same thoughts on procreation (we’ll assume a big NO for this argument)

In which case, it becomes a question of “Can you stand your own self when your own brand of bull-stuff is spouted back to you?”

I regularly talk myself out of things because I don’t want to do it alone. Having a clone who would go along with harebrained schemes could be awesome.

3. Spiderlover
    May 15, 2013 at 1:06 pm — Reply

No. I would find it weird.

4. May 15, 2013 at 1:07 pm — Reply

I don’t think it’s creepy, the Fantomex thing.
    I’m not sure I’D go out with my female clone, though. For starters, every time I try to picture it I just see me with really long hair, and I make a terrifyingly ugly girl.
    But put that aside… I think it’s kinda magical.
    Although there is the danger of both parties cancelling each other out, personality wise, a relationship like that can be exhausting. Buuuuut it’sbeen established that Lady Fantomex came out of one of Fantomex’s extra brains, meaning she already has her own personality there. I think.

5. Gary
    May 15, 2013 at 1:16 pm — Reply

Super creepy and hell no. It’s essentially incest.

Also, from a genetics standpoint, everyone is likely a carrier for several rare recessive genetic disorders. Generally this isn’t a problem because a couple likely won’t share the same mutations. But, relatives share DNA and so are more likely to share the detrimental mutations. That’s why incest is bad news reproductively — much higher chance of recessive disorders coming up. So… If these two attempted to have children there is a good chance something terrible would happen with the poor kid.

• AD
      May 16, 2013 at 11:04 am — Reply

I wouldn’t do it but i think its much closer t masturbation than incest

6. Oldcomicfan
    May 15, 2013 at 1:43 pm — Reply

Dating your own clone would be like kissing your sister. Ick. That said, when somebody tells you to do F–– yourself, you’d finally be able to do it.

7. May 15, 2013 at 3:06 pm — Reply

Isn’t snogging any clone of yourself just a particularly sci-fi means of pleasuring yourself? It’s not so much creepy as incredibly sad, since they are both so self-focused they can’t even feel love for someone who is not a variation of themselves. As for me & a male clone of myself, I’m positive we’d kill each other in five minutes.

8. Mark
    May 15, 2013 at 3:33 pm — Reply

A copy of me only a woman
    A copy of me therefore a woman with the same kinks and fetishes that I have
    No need to hide away any part of your self be open without fear

No not incredibly sad but the best relationship with the hottest sex ever

9. May 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm — Reply

Yep, this is ridiculously creepy. This is a pretty excellent example of why I don’t read modern comics.

• May 15, 2013 at 4:39 pm — Reply

Mainstream modern books, that is, as I can’t get enough of quality books like Atomic Robo and Hama’s G.I. JOE.

10. May 15, 2013 at 4:57 pm — Reply

As I don’t even date the opposite gender at all, I wouldn’t date my opposite gender clone. But a normal clone, sure, I’d say we’re twins and open up a special website for us.

Actually, I’m not sure I could get busy with any duplicate of myself, be it clone, alternate timeline, etc. But I can’t be 100% sure unless the situation ever presented itself. Thankfully that is one problem I’ll never have to worry about.

• May 15, 2013 at 7:35 pm — Reply

A good point, and one that makes me feel ashamed of my accidentally exclusionary phrasing.

How about “appropriate” gender instead?

11. Sayomara
    May 15, 2013 at 6:59 pm — Reply

Remember what happened to Rimmer on Red Dwarf then he cloned himself to have partner. This children started uprising against him making him spend the next 500+ years in a jail cell.

12. Gary
    May 16, 2013 at 10:39 am — Reply

Keep in mind that identical twins are essentially clones of each other, yet frequently have very different personalities and tastes. Thus, there’s no guarantee that this hypothetical date will even share your interests…