This evening, I awoke from not-nearly-enough sleep to find that the last episode of Doctor Who had inadvertently been made available to fans and that the spoilery details of the season-ending cliffhanger freely floating throughout the intarwebz.  Overly the last couple of hours, I have been really torn on whether I want to know what is going on with Eleven and Clara enough to seek them out, or whether I can wait until next Saturday night to find out about what lies behind her perky smile and little button nose.  (Is there such a thing as a Manic Pixie Sidekick Girl?)  The only thing that has successfully distracted me was seeking out spoilers on the season-finale of the latest season of Survivor, the better to taunt my wife with as she enjoys that episode tonight…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) reminds you once again that Bruce Willis’s sled was actually Keyser Soze, asking: If you know that spoilers are available, do you want to seek them out or avoid them?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

TELEVISION: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

SOLICITATIONS: Robocop is coming

1. Praion
    May 13, 2013 at 11:30 am — Reply

Right now i try to avoid them. I would like to see stuff early, but not getting it spoiled by knowing the big reveal.

2. Cat Halo
    May 13, 2013 at 11:33 am — Reply

This is an important question…and in recent years I have decided No, I don not want spoilers. To the extent that i no longer watch trailers, unless they are in the cinema, because of late trailers have been giving away too much. Iron Man 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness trailers were filled with action moments I didn’t want to see. Granted, there was no context, but the surprise of the moments were taken from me.
    When Star Wars Episode 1 came out, I happened across 2 spoilers. One was on the back of the CD soundtrack, with a track title CLEARLY giving away how it goes for Qui Gon; the second was in a spoiler FILLED review, and it was only when i got to the end I realised the extent of the spoilers I had just read.
    As a result, I endevour not to give any spoilers away when writing my reviews (and hopefully I’ve succeeded).
    So…In summary, spoilers are bad, and to be avoided!

3. SmarkingOut Adam
    May 13, 2013 at 11:47 am — Reply

I don’t even watch trailers because I don’t even like little things to be spoiled. Of course, sometimes trailers spoiler the entire movie, as well.

4. May 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm — Reply

If it is something I know I won’t see for a while, I’ll probably seek out spoilers by way of reading extensive plot summaries on wikis and such.

But if it is something I think I’ll see soon (soon is subjective depending on the material), then no, I’d prefer not to have any spoilers.

5. hirimno
    May 13, 2013 at 1:36 pm — Reply

I use to love spoilers about games and movies . Since becoming a huge fan of Doctor Who and getting my friends into it, I have become aware of how much spoilers can ruin things. Its hard to talk about Who stuff without spoiling things, which presents an interesting challenge.

6. May 13, 2013 at 1:37 pm — Reply

Once I decide that I am looking forward to a particular movie or television show, I actively embargo myself from all manner of trailers, reviews, sneak peeks and the like.
    This also includes walking out of theatres during trailers and sticking fingers in my ears.

7. JoeM
    May 13, 2013 at 1:57 pm — Reply

I avoid spoilers. Usually I do pretty well. I’m pretty good at not listening to things. Which was an adjustment when I got married. :D

8. Joe
    May 13, 2013 at 2:18 pm — Reply

A few things here and there can be exciting and enticing. Small reveals and teasers actually heighten anticipation and generate buzz.

I think that in general however, major spoilers should always be avoided. Things are more fun that way.

9. Gary
    May 13, 2013 at 2:18 pm — Reply

I vacillate between, “avoids all spoilers unless I’m certain I will not see it for a very long time” and “avoids spoilers only when I’m certain I will see it very shortly.”

I tend toward the former though…

10. Arbor Day
    May 13, 2013 at 3:19 pm — Reply

If its something I care about, like Iron Man 3 or Doctor Who, then no.

If its something I’d just watch for casual enjoyment, like a Resident Evil movie or Castle, then yes.

11. B.V.K.
    May 13, 2013 at 8:06 pm — Reply

If its something I like then no. I will try not to even watch new TV spots or trailers. If I don’t care about it then its fine. The only thing I will look at is the Rotten Tomatoes percentage score.

12. Ron
    May 14, 2013 at 12:19 am — Reply

That’s why I visit a site called “Major Spoilers.”

• May 14, 2013 at 11:59 am — Reply

We’re thinking of changing the name to “Mystyk Spyral.”