A couple years ago, IDW Publishing began releasing their ‘Complete Bloom County’ hardback collections, designed to package ALL the strips chronologically, even those that never made it into the paperback collections in the 1990s.  In this age of DVD box sets and band anthologies, it’s good to see comic strips getting this kind of attention, especially ones as consistently entertaining as Berke Breathed’s (you should excuse the expression) magnum opus.  Of course, in a world filled with awesome books, magazines, movies and junk, one can only imagine what the future has in store for us.  (Who wants to see a DVD of all the McDonald’s commercials since 1955?)

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) may look disgusting, but whose chops are we busting?  In a year, maybe two, we’ll seem tame, and three years down the track, we’ll be a Las Vegas lounge act, asking: You are now in charge of what gets a complete collection next; what movie, comic strip, comic or what have you do you choose?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Wayne's Comics Podcast #87: Daniel Corey

REVIEW: Ten Grand #1

1. April 29, 2013 at 11:54 am — Reply

To my knowledge and upon many, many searches, i don’t believe George Carlson’s amazing Jingle Jangle Tales havs ever been properly collected. I’d put those in an oversized collection like the Fantagraphics Popeye/Thimble Theater books…and I’d be very happy.

I also wouldn’t mind an American/English Language release of Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea, which has yet to happen.

2. April 29, 2013 at 1:11 pm — Reply

Gargoyles Season 2, Volume 2. Goshdarnit.

• April 29, 2013 at 4:11 pm — Reply

I was actually going to go a step further and would create “Gargoyles: Ultimate Collection” which would not only include the entire animated series, but also all of the comic material from “Disney Adventures” magazine, the Marvel run and Slave Labor Graphics more recent series.

3. AllenBT
    April 29, 2013 at 7:54 pm — Reply

I loved the horrible mid to late 60’s superhero cartoons we had. The Marvel Super Heroes (1966) and The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure (1967).

There was at one point some video tape collections (Kids, ask your parents) but I don’t think they’ve ever been transferred to DVD.

They were actually pretty bad by modern standards (actually they were bad back then too) but they were fun. Actually the best thing about the Marvel ones, which only had limited animation, were the theme songs played over the opening credits.

• April 29, 2013 at 9:28 pm — Reply

I still have a few of the VHS collections of those old toons that were in the Walmart 2 or 3 for $5 bin back in the mid 90’s (probably to cash in on the sales of the X-Men and Batman toons of the time).

4. gary
    April 29, 2013 at 9:22 pm — Reply

Original Star Wars trilogy, without all the added tinkering…

• April 29, 2013 at 9:35 pm — Reply

I’d honestly love a “build your own DVD” for those. Some things I actually liked (the added Cloud City windows, some of the minor effect touch-ups, making Mos Eisley look more populated, etc), but others I’d prefer the original (the obvious Han/Greedo thing, the ghost of Anakin Skywalker, etc.).

• Frank
        April 30, 2013 at 1:35 pm — Reply

I’d buy that. Keep just the technical and aesthetic fixes and get rid of Lucas’ plot tinkering like Han, Anakin’s ghost and especially the stupid ronto in Mos Eisley.

5. April 30, 2013 at 4:26 am — Reply

Honestly, at this point, I don’t want much. I just want the second season of Real Adventures of Jonny Quest (aka the season I like) to be put out by Warner Archive already. I see more terrible After School Specials come out while that languishes, I get frustrated.

6. Oldcomicfan
    April 30, 2013 at 6:13 am — Reply

The Complete Gilligan’s Island, so I can do unspeakable things to the disk before I throw them away. Seriously, now, IDW is already doing the series I wanted to see all my life. (I was only about seven when Harold Gray died and Little Orphan Annie ended, and our paper only got the Sunday strips, so I missed most of what had been going on before). How about a collection of everything Marshal Rogers did?

7. Ron
    April 30, 2013 at 7:28 pm — Reply

Legion of Super Heroes Season 2 DVD.

• May 1, 2013 at 6:26 am — Reply

Yes, seconded. Is this too recent for Warner Archive to offer?