For those of you who follow my Twitter feed (@mightykingcobra), first of all, I apologize for whatever offended you, as the odds are I said something that did.  But, secondly, you will probably also be aware of and/or sick of hearing about my latest collection obsession, Bandai Ranger Keys from a television series that I shan’t mention because it always provokes mockery from Stephen.  As a comic book collector, I always found the real fun to be in the thrill of the hunt, haunting used bookstores and yard sales in the hopes of finding that elusive Action #374 or Hulk #161.  In the modern era of Ebay, I don’t even have to leave my Sofa Of Solitude to get a copy of Miracleman #24, which leaves me somehow saddened at change.  Still, I still get a thrill when I can find an item at a decent price, like yesterday’s acquisition of a Black Condor Ranger Key at less than 1/4th of the going (or is that gauging?) rate.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) hates the tricksy hobbitses, rotten tricksy hobbiteses all, who would steal his preeeciousssss, asking:  What item have you acquired (or would you WISH to acquire) as the crown jewel of your collection?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

SOLICITATIONS: Knightingail returns to Big Dog Ink

SNEAK PEEK: Ultimate Spider-Man travels to Boston

1. SmarkingOut Adam
    March 21, 2013 at 11:52 am — Reply

I’d really like the variant cover of Uncanny X-Men #522, with Kitty Pryde riding that bullet thing. That was the issue Magneto brought her back from outer space. It’s only $50 or so, but that’s a lot for me to spend on something I don’t use for anything. It’s really cool, though.

2. Firefox
    March 21, 2013 at 12:16 pm — Reply

Superman #1 that Nick Cage owned

3. March 21, 2013 at 12:35 pm — Reply

I cant decide between Absolute All-Star Superman and All-Star Comics #58. Not comic book related its gotta be factory sealed PAL Metal Gear Solid 4 Limited Edition.

4. March 21, 2013 at 1:01 pm — Reply

Micronauts Repto, MOC. I lost mine in my friend’s back yard circa 1980, and there’s been a hole in my heart ever since.

5. March 21, 2013 at 1:06 pm — Reply

I got my Black Condor Ranger Key for less that 4/4th the gouging price, but in fairness it was a gift from someone who lives in Japan (as my entire Ranger Key collection has been).

Of my Ranger Key collection, I’m quite fond of the Kamen Rider keys, my DekaSwan key and both versions of AkaRed (30th and 35th Anniversary appearance versions).

I’m also quite fond of my Lantern rings that were sent to me by a certain member of the MS crew (again, thank you for those). Sure, they were just the same promo rings everyone could get, but as I don’t live anywhere near a comic shop I missed out on most of the rings and didn’t have the funds to fill the gaps due to med bills.

I also have a binder of the complete set of Unglued Magic: The Gathering cards. It may not be worth that much, but it was a gift from someone who is no longer with us, so it holds a great deal of sentimental worth to me.

• March 21, 2013 at 11:11 pm — Reply

Well, neener neener to you, too, ma’am.

You know where to send your duplicates now… :)

6. March 21, 2013 at 1:19 pm — Reply

Action figure wise: Sideshow Collectibles 1/6th scale Boba Fett. Achievable at some point, but I can’t justify $200 for a figure.

Comic wise: I’m not much of a collector, but it would be nice to fill out my Saga / Fatale issues. Don’t have #1s of either. They’re too spendy right now so I’m hoping things will settle down and I can get something for cheap on ebay

7. March 21, 2013 at 3:46 pm — Reply

In terms of comics: Flash Vol. 1 #112 The first appearance of my favorite DCU character the Elongated Man. In terms of toys, and so forth… that’s a toughie, because I don’t think I’ll see a Bouncing Boy figure from Matty Collector anytime soon.

8. March 21, 2013 at 11:30 pm — Reply

A boxed set of Generation 1 Dinobots….

9. March 22, 2013 at 7:33 pm — Reply

My stupid new collecting obsession is mass-market paperbacks of newspaper strips. They are inexpensive (under $10), even for very old items, you can find them in many used book stores. my current desire is to find the other two PBs of the ‘Grin and Bear It’ after finding the first. For a strip that ran for as long as that has it has only 3 collections to date, none more recent than 1970. I loved that strip, and my dad did too. Nostalgia.