It’s no secret for those who pay attention that I am a huge fan of the Monkees, a band so far ahead of their time that they prefaced not only the music of the next few decades but the manufacturing process that has made Simon Cowell millions of dollars today.  Given that nearly every little pop-tart and boy-band on the Billboard charts has been hand-picked for their prettiness and appeal makes the interview/audition process that placed The Monkees pale in comparison (and even though they weren’t allowed to play on their first two albums, the guys all have some degree of musical talent.)  I’m not taking potshots at the music of today, mind you, as there’s little that makes you sound older or more pathetic than an obsession with Justin Beiber.  I’m just saying that everything was cooler when I was young, and it’s all noise now and also, get the hell off my lawn…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) laments the rows of houses that are all the same, and no one seems to care, asking:  What’s YOUR favorite pop star?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

REVIEW: Dark Shadows #14

ECCC'13: Dark Horse announces Mass Effect: Foundation

1. March 3, 2013 at 11:44 am — Reply

Michael Jackson from the Jackson Five up to and including the Thriller era. The dude could sing and dance better than anyone.

2. March 3, 2013 at 11:57 am — Reply

First of all, I LOVE that the question is ‘What’ and not ‘Who’…That broadens your choices a bit.

Second, ‘Pop star’ is definitionally nebulous term. Some might consider Mumford and Sons or Blink 182 ‘Pop’ music while others would vehemently deny the very notion, and apply their own labels.

I suppose almost anything with even remotely broad appeal could be called ‘pop’, but in my mind ‘pop’ generally has rock music roots while not veering TOO far into sub-genres like hip-hop, rap, punk or metal. Those genres certainly have acts that can possess brilliant pop sensibilities that can make them ‘pop’ crossover acts, but that still reside firmly within their original genres. The Ramones, The Beastie Boys, and Def Leppard all come to mind.

That being said, I really like Chris Isaak, and see him as a ‘pure pop’ act, as I’d define it. Rockabilly and traditional rock influences with fairly traditional pop lyrical themes of love, life and loss, So, yeah, Chris Isaak.

• March 3, 2013 at 12:02 pm — Reply

Mumford and Sons won a Grammy for best album. Under the “popular music” definition for pop, they qualify. Under the genre definition, I would still argue they qualify. A softer, more accessible version of rock and roll aimed at the youth demographic. Plus a banjo! Folk pop.

3. March 3, 2013 at 2:49 pm — Reply

If the posters in my bedroom are any indication, my current favorites are Alizée Jacotey and Aya Matsuura.

And now I have the urge to go watch the Monkee’s movie “Head” again. In the words of Phillip J. Fry, “It’s like that drug trip I saw in that movie when I was on that drug trip”.

4. Damobiddles
    March 3, 2013 at 5:27 pm — Reply

Does Robert Smith count as a pop star?

5. March 3, 2013 at 8:38 pm — Reply

Duran Duran!

6. Navarre
    March 3, 2013 at 10:24 pm — Reply

Like Alisha, I will have to mention Alizee Jacotey; that is, before Alizee’s ever-worsening series of tattoo choices.

My favorite pop star would be Selena Gomez, although I admit I don’t care whether she sings or not.