One of the side-effects of living in the American Midwest is the occasional bout of winter weather.  This morning, I awoke to a blanket of white and blowing snow obscuring vision in all directions.  Though I’m still going to work, the state, county and schools have all closed in preparation for Snowmageddon ’13.  Given my druthers, I’d have stayed at home with a stack of comics and ‘Transformers: The Movie,’ which has become my usual storm/snow day fare.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) vows that neither snow nor sleet nor Legends of the Dark Knight shall keep me from my appointed rounds, asking: What’s your go-to entertainment for storms, sick or snow days?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

CONVENTION: Aspen Comics anounces 2013 tour dates

SNEAK PEEK: Archaia for February 27, 2013

1. Anthony Scism
    February 21, 2013 at 10:32 am — Reply

When I’m sick Star Trek TOS movies. Storms/snow Monte Python either ‘Meaning of Life’ or ‘Holy Grail’

2. Allen
    February 21, 2013 at 10:59 am — Reply

Podcasts, books, comics, and Netflix!

• February 21, 2013 at 11:16 am — Reply

But which ones?

• Allen
        February 21, 2013 at 12:38 pm — Reply

I have about 70 podcasts that I listen too, I have 1300 Scifi or Fantasy books, I’m currently reading Earth 2 and Walking Dead, and what ever strikes my fancy when I look through the streaming on Netflix, usually SciFi or Horror.

3. GeorgeDubya
    February 21, 2013 at 11:15 am — Reply

I tend to go with a Bethesda RPG (currently Skyrim again, but before that I was on a Fallout 3 kick) and a TV series (currently Game of Thrones and How I Met Your Mother)

4. Hannah Jones
    February 21, 2013 at 12:01 pm — Reply

Chocolate Chip Cookies and a Monty Python marathon, usually beginning with Mony Python and The Holy Grail.

Also a giant pot of chili, and maybe some Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age

5. Shush
    February 21, 2013 at 12:51 pm — Reply

Books.

6. Xaxelbrax
    February 21, 2013 at 1:08 pm — Reply

I do a lot of different things, but one of the most common I guess is a John Candy marathon. My usual being (not necessarily in this order) Spaceballs, Planes, Trains & Automobiles, Who’s Harry Crumb?, & Uncle Buck.

7. February 21, 2013 at 2:59 pm — Reply

I usually see what’s on special at the Steam Store, read some comics – I like to re-read Hellboy during storms, and hang out with my kids.

8. February 21, 2013 at 3:08 pm — Reply

Considering my health problems, my every day is a sick day. But if I’m sick enough to be in the hospital (which happens more often than I’d like), someone always runs and picks me up a few books I’ve never read.

During snow/storms or the unfortunately common “random” power outages during nice weather, I like to curl up with a fantasy or sci-fi novel. I don’t really have a specific one in mind since it happens frequently enough that reading the same book would be maddening. I just grab whatever is at hand and seems most interesting at the time. Depending on the time of day I might also have my battery operated TV turned on to the local old movie channel or the local variety music video channel just for some background noise.

If I’m simply snowed in and the power is fine, then I like watching marathons of TV or movie series. If I have the funds and I know I’m going to be snowed in, I’ll rent a season of something before the snow hits, if I don’t I’ll watch either all the Star Wars movies, Forever Knight (I have all three seasons!) or Futurama.

9. AllenBT
    February 21, 2013 at 3:09 pm — Reply

I binge on a random TV series on either Hulu or Netflix, usually ones from my childhood. I usually just pick one I remember liking form back then, whether its genre TV or a Police Drama or whatever.

10. comicfan1974
    February 21, 2013 at 3:23 pm — Reply

The Three Stooges and/or wacky Coast to Coast am episodes

11. B.V.K.
    February 21, 2013 at 7:41 pm — Reply

Always video games. Right now I am really into Zen pinball on 360 and I am in the middle of a high score war with a friend. I always have a rotation of 3 or 4 games going. Last one was WWE ’13. You should move into the current gen Matthew, CM Punk vs Mighty King Cobra at Hell in a Cell.

12. February 21, 2013 at 9:37 pm — Reply

As I’ve come to outgrow the winter joy of frolicking in the snow, I tend to spend snow days cooped up inside with a few old Calvin and Hobbes comic books, and should those get exhausted I tend to watch documentaries.

13. DarkSidhe
    February 22, 2013 at 7:10 am — Reply

My usual go-to is a video game. During the big snow storm that hit my area a few years ago, I played through all of Dragon Age, since I was by myself, and had nothing else to do.

14. Brian reilly
    February 22, 2013 at 7:15 am — Reply

Usually I sit with the kids and watch some old Disney live action movie. Tron, TheBlack Hole. That kind of thing. But have also watched some Lord of the Rings or I seek off to the back room for a little Bond marathon.

15. gary
    February 22, 2013 at 9:09 am — Reply

Typically either some low-intensity video game (last one was Mark of the Ninja) or comics. I occasionally pick up large collections on Comixology and I’ll plow through one of those 400 page beasts on the off days. The last couple were Brandon Graham’s “King City” and Jeffrey Brown’s girlfriend trilogy.