It was bound to happen sooner or later, but it has been confirmed that Geoff Johns, DC Comics’ chief creative officer, is stepping down as the writer for Green Lantern.

geoff-johns-ringsAccording to the report, Johns will leave the series with issue 20 that arrives in May, so he can focus on the Justice League and the related titles.  Considering there are reports floating around that the current draft of the Justice League movie is in shambles, having a strong anchor on the comic book series, may have an impact on the movie script revision.

“I’m really proud of all the stuff we’ve built with Green Lantern – from Larfleeze to the different corps,” Johns told The Associated Press about his decision. “The universe has expanded and will live well past my run. It was more than just telling another story, but really giving back to the character by expanding and adding to their mythology.”

Johns did really change the nature of Green Lantern over the last couple of years, and if he can do that with the Justice League series of books, it might end up being a good thing in the long run.

via Huffington Post

REVIEW: Batman: The Dark Knight #16

REVIEW: Green Arrow #17

1. Praion
    February 11, 2013 at 12:49 pm — Reply

Will it get better from there on? Don’t get me wrong, it never really was bad but there is just SO MUCH STUFF! I also allways felt that everything he did was really big but there was never enough time spend on anything. Hal Jordan was never that interesting to me.

Will be interesting to see if the main GL title will focus on Jordan or the new Lantern (who i like)

2. February 11, 2013 at 1:06 pm — Reply

Cue thd wailing and gnashing of teeth…

3. February 11, 2013 at 1:12 pm — Reply

I felt like they had some momentum going after the White Lantern stuff which then got smashed up when the new 52 started and all the continuity got rearranged. Seems like they’ve been struggling to rebuild since then.

4. Verse
    February 11, 2013 at 1:28 pm — Reply

I see this as a Good and Bad thing. I kinda like the Idea of Multiple Corps and other this Johns has done. Over all I am pleased with it all. You can tell he has been on GL sence ’06. The series is starting to drag to me. Still good, but dragging a bit. I think that is just what happens when your on the same book for so long. Gives you a chance to really make some good/bad moves, but at the same time means you pull all you can from the well. I think he will do good on Justice League and look forward to seeing it.

5. February 11, 2013 at 3:23 pm — Reply

Finally. Don’t get me wrong – I was rarely let down by Geoff Johns’ writing. But after Blackest Night, I felt he’s said everything he needed to say. It’s time for some new blood to take over the title, though they’ve huge some massive, galactic shoes to fill.

6. February 11, 2013 at 4:16 pm — Reply

A little sad, yeah the writiing has been up and down over the past decade, but not to a terrible extent. I will be curious to see where the new creative team will take the story.

7. February 11, 2013 at 4:34 pm — Reply

Hopefully this will mean not every story or storyline has to be an event when the new writer hops on.

8. Cat Halo
    February 12, 2013 at 7:41 am — Reply

I will miss Geoff. There have been some misses, but for the most part his GL run has been very good. Not perfect, but good. Rebirth, Sinestro Corps Wars, Blackest Night, New 52 relaunch. All good. However, the least said about Brightest Day the better.
    I’m still liking his Justice and Aquaman stuff, and am curious to see what he does next…