As a boy, I was fascinated with the giant plastic toys known in the U.S. as Shogun Warriors.  I never managed to amass a complete collection, due to availability and “kid-with-no-money” issues, but imagine my surprise when I grew up and discovered that those various metallic monstrosities didn’t even come from the same properties.  Of course, that didn’t dim my affection for (and belief in the superiority of) the mighty Gaiking.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) reminds you that the first giant mecha in Super Sentai was piloted by (no kidding) Spider-Man, asking: Which giant robot reigns supreme over all pop culture?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

AUCTION: Watchmen original covers and pages up for bidding

DIGITAL COMICS: MAX Makes Exclusive Digital Debut on ComiXology

1. litanyofthieves
    January 23, 2013 at 12:02 pm — Reply

Financially, it’s gotta be Transformers. Think about how much money they’ve made Hasbro all these years.

For the nostalgia of audiences, I’d also have to go with transformers. What kid born after 1975 DIDN’T grow up with some incarnation of the transformers on TV?

Personally, my favorite giant robots are the EVAs from Evangelion. That series had a huge impact on me as an adolescent who was just getting into anime.

Finally, in a knock-down, drag-out fight, I’d have to say that again, Transformers’ sheer number gives them the win.

2. UberFab
    January 23, 2013 at 12:12 pm — Reply

Especially if you’re talking about Shogun Warrior-ish robots, I would have to say the Starvengers (no idea of the more common Japanese name. I think one mannefestation of it was Getter-Robo).
    Three fighter jet that can join up in three different configuration to form three different giant robots, the yellow Star Posideon (water specialty), Star Arrow (air/speed), or Star Dragon (all-around ass-kicker).

3. January 23, 2013 at 12:20 pm — Reply

I’d have to say Devastator. He has immediate name and image recognition in the “group mind” of middle-aged north american nerds.
    Plus, he’s kick-ass.

4. January 23, 2013 at 12:29 pm — Reply

Some good ideas! I think that Transformers-wise, Unicron reigns supreme. When you realize just how powerful Galvatron is, and then factor in that sheer look of terror on his face when Unicron first appears in the original TF movies…wow…

How about Gaogaigar or Voltron?

5. aerohalen1
    January 23, 2013 at 3:51 pm — Reply

Transformers and Gundams.

6. January 23, 2013 at 4:16 pm — Reply

IT’S A GUNDAM!

’nuff said.

7. January 23, 2013 at 4:28 pm — Reply

Size wise I think it would be either Unicron or Daijinryuu (alternately known as Serpentera in Power Rangers).

8. Ryan 'Halite' King
    January 23, 2013 at 4:56 pm — Reply

RX-78-2

I would venture a guess that Gundam is more profitable than Transformers.
    50 billion yen in 2008 ($500 million)

While the Transformer movies make a lot, I don’t think toy sales can compare. Plus, much more profitable TV shows and DVD/Blu Ray sales

9. B.V.K.
    January 23, 2013 at 5:16 pm — Reply

Truckasuarus! Part truck, part dinosaur! Eating little cars to the delight of kids and hillbillys everywhere.

10. Ian
    January 24, 2013 at 4:31 pm — Reply

Ultraman!

11. AllenBT
    January 25, 2013 at 10:43 am — Reply

Mazinga Z. Come on, the Shogun warrior interpretation had swords, a missile launching hand and of course his trade mark jet fighter in the head.