After my initial viewing of ‘Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World’ (the version that ended with Scott and Knives Chou together), I was bothered by spending an entire movie with an expectation of Scott ending up with Ramona, and annoyed that they made what seemed like an incorrect adaptation choice.  Upon reviewing the film, though, I came to the realization that Ramona is pretty much a cypher, given little to no development throughout the film, and that the alternate ending actually makes more sense within the confines of the story we’re shown.  That said, while I find the idea of 22-year-old Scott dating 17-year-old Knives to be a little inappropriate/creepy, it’s clear that I am in a minority on that one, and chalk it up to my just being old and overly sensitive…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) can’t believe you made me swallow my gum! That’s gonna be in my digestive tract for SEVEN YEARS, asking: Should Scott have chosen Ramona or Knives?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

REVIEW: The Bionic Man #15

REVIEW: Insurgent #1

1. Vorpal
    January 19, 2013 at 2:48 pm — Reply

Ramona. Knives is crazy. Granted, so is Ramona, but knives is worse. And besides, in what I see as the fallout that would inevitably occur after the film/books, Scott would need a girl who can keep up, and Ramona is that girl.

2. dante_marx
    January 19, 2013 at 3:24 pm — Reply

I also am voting Ramona. I always felt like the Scott Pilgrim we see in the movie is treading water, and part of that is having Knives as a girlfriend who he is not interested in but is using to bolster his self esteem. The relationship was, at least in my eyes, not healthy. Not to say that I didn’t feel bad for Knives; she was being used, but that merely reiterates that she should also move on.

3. January 19, 2013 at 5:25 pm — Reply

I’m gonna vote for Knives because I tend to have a thing for crazy girls (which may also explain why my love life is such a mess).

4. Lee Goldberg
    January 19, 2013 at 8:09 pm — Reply

Pretty Simple: Knives in the movie (where she was given more development and her relationship with Scott was more central to the plot), Ramona in the Books (where she and Scott’s relationship had time to grow and flourish over time).

5. slimeknight
    January 19, 2013 at 10:18 pm — Reply

I think Ramona because both her and Scott are screwed up and as its said Knives is to good for Scott.

6. Joe
    January 20, 2013 at 1:40 am — Reply

Knives. When they gamed together or fought along side each other, they had a chemistry. Yes, Knives is better than Scott, but she deserves to be happy, right?

7. Oldcomicfan
    January 20, 2013 at 6:57 am — Reply

Would Scott Pilgrim really have been the same story if Scott had ended up with Knives instead of Ramona? Would The Matrix have been the same story if Neo had taken the Blue Pill? Or if Captain Smith had decided that steering the Titanic into a iceburg field in the dark at full speed was probably not a good idea? Or if Colonel Custer had realized that attacking 6,000 warriors with only 200 men was not likely to end well?

Of course, it wouldn’t be the same. When you change a major plot point, you end up with a different story altogether. It’s fun to speculate “what if” but it all boils down to the story that the author wanted to tell, and it doesn’t matter, in the end, what the reader might have preferred.

As to Matthew finding the five year age gap between characters icky, I think that’s relative. When I was in high school I knew of several instances where a seventeen year old girl was in a relationship with a teacher or college student and, at the time, I found it rather disturbing at the time. But now that I’m pushing sixty, I find a five year age gap really doesn’t matter as much. Five years is nothing. I have socks in the back of my underwear drawer older than that.

• January 20, 2013 at 6:10 pm — Reply

That’s kind of the question here, given that the first time I saw the movie, it ended with Scott choosing Knives…

8. Sean
    January 20, 2013 at 12:06 pm — Reply

Scott should have died alone.

Playing Knives while trying to date Ramona made him thoroughly unlikable to me. I enjoyed the video games references, but, like Matthew’s second viewing, found nothing but bright colors to Ramona. In fact, I have no idea why so many exes were fighting over her. Couldn’t they have bought six different wigs for a blow-up doll and had pretty much the same girl?

• dante_marx
      January 21, 2013 at 11:24 am — Reply

Wow, a little harsh there. Just because they only had a few minutes to flesh her out doesn’t mean she was empty.