In this issue: Zach shares his thoughts and learns a little bit about practical effects as we examine Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (often referred to as Close Encounters or CE3K) is a 1977 science fiction-drama written and directed by Steven Spielberg and features actors Richard Dreyfuss, François Truffaut, Melinda Dillon, Teri Garr, Bob Balaban, and Cary Guffey. It tells the story of Roy Neary, a lineman in Indiana, whose life changes after a close encounter with an unidentified flying object (UFO).

[podcast]http://traffic.libsyn.com/majorspoilers/msp495.mp3[/podcast]

Direct Download

RSS Feed

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

SOLICITATIONS: Francesco Francavilla to take over for David Aja on Hawkeye

SOLICITATIONS: The Future of Uncanny X-Men is REVOLUTION!

1. January 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm — Reply

Hey guys,

I would pay $0.50 (up to maybe a buck) for the comentary. I’m interested in the takes that you guys would have, but I guess I would want to see what they looked like first… (I dunno, give the first one away so we can be Walter White’d)…

As for Zach on Film – is the list on the website, I’m just curious what’s on it… Also, I think you can watch Duck Soup on netflix too…

Finally, mash me up some 4th Doctor playing in the place of Dr. Doug Ross (Clooney) on ER – something just tells me hijinks would ensue…

• January 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm — Reply

The list is freely available to all student who enroll in my video production courses ;)

• January 18, 2013 at 5:44 pm — Reply

Translation: I don’t remember where I put the syllabus right now… :D

2. Firefox
    January 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm — Reply

this movie is a part of my childhood, I watched it over and over growing up. I still love it and I think it holds up very well today. Will be interesting to see what Zach the youngster says about it.

3. January 18, 2013 at 2:52 pm — Reply

I’ve always wanted to see the TARDIS appear on Mars . . . just over the shoulder of Doctor Manhattan. I don’t know if Doc Manhattan would become The Doctor’s newest bestest friend or he’d become the new Master, but I would love to just sit and listen to the two of them talk.

Speaking of The Doctor, I can’t help but think of him when watching almost any given movie — especially when I’m watching something sci-fi. How would The Doctor have handled the alien in “Alien?” In “Super 8?” “E..T.?” “Close Encounters of the Third Kind?”

• January 18, 2013 at 3:57 pm — Reply

Easy Answer A) Run B) Run! C) Awww… want a jellybaby?

4. j_michael_t
    January 19, 2013 at 11:17 am — Reply

Someone mentioned above that ‘Duck Soup’ may be available on Netflix; it is and it is available to stream. I’ve never seen it so my afternoon plans are set.

I would pay .99 for the film commentaries. I’ve asked for this before so I would love to see it happen. I love the ‘Film Sack’ podcast and would love to hear your “filmmaker” version as I have already learned a lot from the few “episodes” of ‘Zach on Film’.

5. Randy Strong
    January 20, 2013 at 12:47 am — Reply

I’m sorry did you really ask us if we would pay to hear your commentary? Duh. Can’t wait!

6. January 21, 2013 at 1:27 am — Reply

I would pay 99 cents for a commentary track. Doubly so if it were commentary for a classic Rudy Ray Moore film like “Dolemite” or “Disco Godfather.”

7. January 31, 2013 at 10:03 am — Reply

In response to Stephen’s interest in Catwoman crossed with Parker: I think “Selina’s Big Score” written by Darwyn Cooke and Matt Hollingsworth fits the bill. It’s certainly not as grim as the Parker books, but it puts Selina Kyle in the Parker/Danny Ocean role of masterminding a heist.

It’s been a few years since I read it, but I remember it being a lot of fun.

It’s available at Amazon:

8. Solid Muldoon
    May 26, 2013 at 4:18 pm — Reply

I’m certain that the “Bigfoot” scene is in the original theatrical release. I saw Close Encounters in the theater several times and my sister and I joked about that scene until it became one of those family running jokes. “Made a sound I would not like to hear twice in my life.”