BAM! You don’t have to wait until next week to see the trailer for Star Trek: Into Darkness, as the trailer hit the Apple Trailers site in full HD glory.  Take the jump for the YouTube version, that still looks pretty damn good when set to full screen.

In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness. When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

TOYS: Tezuka Productions names Diamond Comic Distributors its preferred partner for international distribution

SNEAK PEEK: Bloodshot #6

December 6, 2012 at 9:15 am — Reply

I’m thinking it is Gary Mitchell? The blonde looks like Elizabeth Dehner.

2. December 6, 2012 at 9:25 am — Reply

Admittedly I’ve only ever seen Cumberbatch as Sherlock – but he’s never struck me as “action star.” Looks like they’ve got him doing some serious jumping around and ass-kicking.

3. GeorgeDubya
    December 6, 2012 at 9:59 am — Reply

Interesting. After watching the first few seconds of the trailer, I can see why people were saying they were getting a Dark Knight Rises vibe from the movie.

4. December 6, 2012 at 10:03 am — Reply

Have you guys seen the Japanese version? It’s 14 seconds longer and . . . oh boy . . .

• GeorgeDubya
      December 6, 2012 at 10:30 am — Reply

But is the “oh boy” shot a distraction? Because there’s a few seconds of Cumberbatch in a Starfleet uniform right as he says “So, shall we begin?”

I can see the huge callback to a certain iconic scene in the Japanese trailer, but I can’t see the villain associated with that wearing a Starfleet uniform.

5. December 6, 2012 at 10:05 am — Reply

I’m wondering if the blonde is Carol Marcus.

And as fine an actor as Cumberbatch is, I don’t think Paramount or Abrams wants the grief they’d get from casting him as a Sikh, so, no, not KAAAAAAHHHHNNN!

How about GAAARRRRRTH!

• Bernard
      December 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm — Reply

I think you must have nailed it, just watched reruns of TOS, and Gary Mitchell was at Starfleet with Kirk, were as Garth of Izar was a old Starfleet hero banished for his methods

• Firefox
      December 6, 2012 at 12:45 pm — Reply

you mean Khan Noonien Singh?

• December 6, 2012 at 5:50 pm — Reply

No, Garth of Izar. The one who was in the Federation Insane Asylum who could shapeshift.

• Christina
          December 7, 2012 at 12:30 am — Reply

Has Abrams watched the Original Star Trek, do you think? (I need something to console my Trekkie parents with, so even speculations are helpful)

6. December 6, 2012 at 11:09 am — Reply

And of course there’s the scene where (I assume) Kirk and Spock seem to do a little farewell – do we have another “sacrifice myself for the good of the crew / people” storyline building for Spock?

• Christina
      December 7, 2012 at 12:32 am — Reply

NO! That already happened and then he came back to life! I can’t deal with another Genesis movie! no!

7. Andrew
    December 6, 2012 at 11:44 am — Reply

He could be Charlie X…..

8. Christina
    December 6, 2012 at 12:30 pm — Reply

Well, let me say this- if Cumberbatch’s character is a new version of Khan, my father will hate J.J. Abrams forever and ever. I’m just trying not to completely fangirl over the trailer right before class!

9. Firefox
    December 6, 2012 at 12:37 pm — Reply

well, here is the Japanese trailer, and well. it is looking like Khan is back, atleast to me:

• aerohalen1
      December 6, 2012 at 4:13 pm — Reply

i hope they arent going to pull kirk/spock wrath of khan moment?

• December 6, 2012 at 6:05 pm — Reply

There’s been false reports of Cumberbatch being Khan before.

Again, I’m suspicious of any claims he’s Khan just because I don’t think Paramount or Abrams would want the grief from casting a white guy. Do they also really want to invite comparisons to Wrath of Khan?

10. December 6, 2012 at 6:44 pm — Reply

I’m thinking Kahn, unless Gary Mitchell’s power set has increased significantly. Also call me crazy but is that Patrick Stewart reciting the first few words of the voice-over? It sounds JUST like him and the inflection from the point where he says “a comforting lie…” on is entirely different and obviously Cumberbatch.

• Christina
      December 7, 2012 at 12:36 am — Reply

The Anglophelia post says that Cumberbatch does all the trailer narration, so not Patrick Stewart. Maybe he’s mimicking Stewart. I think Cumberbatch has done mimicking before in interviews.

11. Spider lover
    December 7, 2012 at 12:38 am — Reply

Looks really good, I’m excited but it doesn’t feel like Star Trek.

• Mark
      December 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm — Reply

I agree that it doesn’t feel like old Star Trek, but I’m all good with this series going in a new direction.

12. Olcomicfan
    December 7, 2012 at 7:18 am — Reply

The only problem I have is with the verbiage of the blurb. You can’t “detonate the star fleet and everything it stands for” because the fleet isn’t a bomb and neither are ideals or morals. You can detonate a bomb aboard a fleet vessel and you can discredit an ideal but you can’t “detonate” them. Out public school tax dollars at work…