Change is never easy, but it seems that it’s more difficult for fans of comics and escapist fiction than those with a “normal” mindset.  Nevermind that the whole POINT of the Pokemon franchise is for the monsters to evolve, Pikachu will never become Raichu.  Even a year later, there are still fans who cannot fathom the idea of the New DCU and rage with all their might against it.  The much-maligned Kyle Rayner and even second Robin Jason Todd eventually got ‘over’ to some degree, and I’m slowly warming to John Cleese as R, but the vast majority of times that a character gets replaced, he or she ends up being Jason Patric in ‘Speed 2.’

Back when I was young, the Powers That Be even took out mighty Megatron, replacing him with another character that I was poised to hate, whom my teenaged brain was dead certain would be inferior, if only because of a lack of Frank Welker.  It was a character who was voiced by the always-awesome Leonard Nimoy, a character who, in his first moments of life, gave Starscream the quick-and-brutal murdering that he probably deserved, a character who began to grow on me, in spite of myself (though I’ll still probably never attend a meeting of the Ultra Magnus fan club.)

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) knows Kup and Hot Rod just bought it, but can’t DEAL with that right now, asking: What replacement characters do you find yourself liking, even though you hate that the original was replaced?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

SNEAK PEEK: The Ride: Southern Gothic #2

NEW 52: Avalanche of Justice League of America variant covers about to hit

1. Erik Waddell
    November 5, 2012 at 12:22 pm — Reply

Most obvious (to me, anyway) is David Tenant being replaced by Matt Smith. I’ve grown to love Matt, and I’ve been a Who fan long enough that my nerd-rage over regenerating Doctors dissipates fairly quickly now.

Wally West ended up a great replacement for Barry Allen. And, personally, I grew to like John Stewart quite a bit as Green Lantern (and I still do).

Best replacement of all time is BJ Honnicut replacing Trapper John, but I’m dating myself with that one.

2. Slappy
    November 5, 2012 at 12:57 pm — Reply

The Second Darren was just as good as the first.

Kyle Rayner was more fun to read for me than Hal Jordan. Finally there was a green lantern with imagination and fun to his ring creations. Hot Green Stewardesses in his private plane is much more fun for travel than going inside a green oval.

Peter Parker the clone in place of Peter Parker. Better stories in the long haul oh wait, that was retconned.

3. November 5, 2012 at 2:25 pm — Reply

I’m one of the folks that really enjoyed Kyle Rayner even though I hated the destruction of the Corps and death of Hal Jordan.

I also used to have a huge crush on Kat, the second Pink Ranger, even though I still had a crush on Kimberly and was sad to see her leave.

And, of course, the shift from 9th Doctor to 10th. I really didn’t think I’d like Tennant, but wow was I wrong.

Not sure if this counts, but I’m warming up to the new style of animation for Ben 10 even though I really liked the previous style.

4. Ricco
    November 5, 2012 at 6:31 pm — Reply

Matthew, after Stephen had the original killed for insubordination and had a new one cloned and erased that fact from his brain and installed an insubordination dampener (which needs maintenance obviously) in his brain… Also Tim Drake.

• November 6, 2012 at 10:36 am — Reply

Yeah… They don’t make cloning vats that big…

5. Colin
    November 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm — Reply

Damian Wayne, Kyle Rayner, Connor Hawke, and Wally West are some of my favorite characters. Thing is, though, I don’t really care much for their predecessors. In fact, i downright hate Hal Jordan.

• Slappy
      November 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm — Reply

Except for Damian, I like those choices as well. The Connor era of Green Arrow was awesome. Wally was a great Flash and I already mentioned Kyle.
      They also go with my Dead should stay Dead tirade I have every so often. Right now, there is nothing Barry is doing that couldn’t be done by Wally as the Flash.

6. Colin
    November 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm — Reply

Oh Jamie Reyes too. I like Ted Kord, it sucks that they killed him off, but I really like Jamie.