I am a follower of many people on the Twitter, ranging from wrestler Kevin Nash to Sixth Doctor Colin Baker and back, but one of the most fascinating feeds comes from comic genius Gail Simone.  Recently, she asked her Twitter followers a very pointed question, one that set the gears in my head a’rolling.  It was a very comic-fan kind of query, the kind of discussion that comes up once you’ve exhausted the Ginger/Mary Ann Paradox and the endless permutations of “Who’d win?”  Before I tell you Gail’s brilliantly simple question, I’m going to go against usual MS-QOTD protocol and tell you my answer:  The Wasp, She-Hulk and the Scarlet Witch, a perfect balance of the fun-loving savvy lawyer, her socialite pal who also happens to be a brilliant tactician, and their hot-blooded partner who can bend the very fabric of the universe to her will.  It’s a win-win for everyone, especially the House of Ideas, a place where books with female protagonists have historically been a bit thin on the ground.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) isn’t plagiarizing, it’s influenced by her work, asking:
What Marvel characters would you cast in a ‘Birds Of Prey’ type title?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

REVIEW: Ghosts #1

REVIEW: A + X #1

1. Gordon T
    November 4, 2012 at 12:33 pm — Reply

I would start with the Scarlet Witch, awesome character and very powerful. then I’d add Shadowcat for the stealth and tech roles. Sharon Carter for hand to hand combat. The final piece would be Black Cat because you need a bad girl on the team.

Or you could go with a cat themed team and have Shadowcat, Black Cat, Tigra, and Hellcat.

• Slappy
      November 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm — Reply

Instead of Birds of Prey, they can be the Pussycats.

2. NonProphet
    November 4, 2012 at 1:15 pm — Reply

Moonstone, Domino, and Elektra. A street level group that have all been on the wrong side of the law. Elektra and Domino the stealthy strike team with Moonstone as the heavy hitter. Problem is, I have no Idea how they would ever be in the same room together.

3. Arbor Day
    November 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm — Reply

Don’t they keep trying this, last iteration being Firestorm, Hellcat, Photon, and Black Cat in Marvel Divas? (had to look that up, I thought it was Firestorm, Tigra, Misty Knight and Silver Sable)

4. tidge
    November 4, 2012 at 1:43 pm — Reply

Firestar for Marvel, Firestorm for DC.

and yes, I really enjoyed Marvel Divas.

5. Slappy
    November 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm — Reply

My team would accent the spy /covert theme. I would disqualify She-Hulk for an obvious reason on that front, as I would also the Wasp and Scarlet Witch since they are maskless and too high profile. (I know Canary & Powergirl and Vixen were too, but they were not as high a profile.
    I would lean towards Mockingbird, Black Cat and Emma Frost. They both compliment each other and contradict each other in various ways.

6. Michael
    November 4, 2012 at 4:58 pm — Reply

I think I’d go for mostly heroines that, IMHO, haven’t really been used to their potential as characters who could make up a solid book with each other if not by themselves, with as many guest shots by predominantly female guest stars old and new powerful and no so much, as I could.

My base team would start out as:

Hellcat, Mockingbird, Diamondback, and Darkstar. One of the earlier stories would be to bring back Stature to the land of the living.

7. Bullmoosetechnogeek
    November 4, 2012 at 5:25 pm — Reply

Mockingbird, Spider-Girl (Anya Corazon), Dagger, She-Hulk.

8. Frank
    November 4, 2012 at 6:54 pm — Reply

An international theme:
    Black Widow
    Invisible Girl
    Vindicator (Heather Hudson)

Russian, American, and Canadian

9. LemmyCaution
    November 4, 2012 at 7:04 pm — Reply

Spider-Woman, Karma, Layla Miller, Dazzler, Hawkeye II, Captain Marvel (Monica Rambeau).

10. Joe
    November 4, 2012 at 8:40 pm — Reply

Black Cat and two clones of Black Cat.

11. ray
    November 4, 2012 at 8:49 pm — Reply

Moondragon, Captain Marvel and Nova(Frankie Ray). It would be a cosmic book.

12. Erik Waddell
    November 5, 2012 at 9:50 am — Reply

I really like Scarlet Witch or Nova, but they are just too powerful for a title meant to emulate Birds of Prey. Instead, I’d go with something like this:

– Moondragon
    – Medusa
    – Spider Girl (Anya Corazon)
    – Wasp
    – Blue Bird (resurrect/re-boot Sally Avril)