The acquisition of Lucasfilm and related stuff by the Disney corporation has led to lots of discussion on the internet (and even here at Major Spoilers.)  The biggest announcement is that Disney intends to continue the Star Wars saga with Episode Seven in a couple of years, meaning that they’ll need to get cracking on a script and a crew and all that jazz in order to get the picture to market on time.  With that in mind, Stephen and I began wondering last night who will lead the film from out of the heads of the creative types and onto the various digital projection screens of the world…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) wants QUIET ON THE SET, asking: Who should direct the newly-announced Star Wars: Episode VII?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Major Spoilers Podcast #462: Vampirella vs. Fluffy - DUELING REVIEW

SNEAK PEEK: FF #1

1. November 1, 2012 at 11:39 am — Reply

This would never, ever happen (and it probably shouldn’t) but thinking about a Quentin Tarantino style of the Star Wars universe is a fun mind trip.

• November 1, 2012 at 11:42 am — Reply

Kill JarJar

• ArcticPhoenix
        November 1, 2012 at 11:44 am — Reply

They should just call Winston Wolf in to deal with JarJar

2. November 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm — Reply

I think John Ford should direct it.

3. Oldcomicfan
    November 1, 2012 at 2:20 pm — Reply

Del Toro will direct it. Of course, he’d put eyeballs on the ends of Jar Jar’s fingers and decide that Wookies should be shaped like garden hoes, but aside from that, he’d do a good job. Now this idea makes my head spin…. but what about Peter Jackson as director for the new Star Wars films?

4. Praion
    November 1, 2012 at 2:46 pm — Reply

Joss Nolan or what was this guys’ name?

5. Eli
    November 1, 2012 at 2:50 pm — Reply

Joss Whedon

6. Arbor Day
    November 1, 2012 at 3:20 pm — Reply

Kevin Smith

7. Frank
    November 1, 2012 at 3:34 pm — Reply

Andrew Stanton
    He did a good job on John Carter .

8. November 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm — Reply

Lawrence Kasdan – who also co-wrote “Empire Strikes Back”.

9. November 1, 2012 at 5:41 pm — Reply

I think I should as I am undefeated in Star Wars Trivial Pursuit.

Actually, I hope they bring in someone who isn’t a well known “summer blockbuster” director. I don’t have anyone particular in mind, but I think that while it should be someone with great directing experience, it should be someone who deals with drama and subtlety rather than someone who sticks explosions all over the place. The only exception I have to that would be Joss Whedon, because he’s got a balance of both worlds (and would treat the franchise right).

10. B.V.K.
    November 1, 2012 at 10:39 pm — Reply

I would like to see Guillermo Del Toro. He knows who to do action (Hellboy) and he can certainly make some awesome aliens. I bet he could do some crazy stuff with the dark side.

11. Space Cadet Juan
    November 2, 2012 at 12:32 am — Reply

Brad Bird. Joss Whedon. Jon Favreau. Andrew Stanton. Neil Blomkamp. Rian Johnson. Alfonso Cuaron. Ronald D. Moore. Peter Jackson. Duncan Jones. Joe Johnston. Zack Snyder.

That would be a good place to start.

Actually, of all the above names that popped out of my head, Johnston is probably the most intriguing for me, not only is he a respected director these days, but he was one of the most influential designers (after McQuarrie, arguably) of the original SW trilogy.

12. November 2, 2012 at 4:42 am — Reply

JJ Abrams. He could have someone go back and create a new timeline so they wouldn’t have to worry about previous continuity or characterization