Tinfoil hats abound on the internet right now about the bombshell revelation that George Lucas is selling LucasArts, ILM and his lucky R2D2 boxer shorts to Disney for over 4 billion dollars (that’s with a ‘B’, and that’s also more money than Stephen and I have ever SEEN in our cumulative 8 decades on the planet.)  Given all the various permutations involved, it’s easy to find something to love or hate about this situation, and there are already people brayint that the Golden Age of Star Wars is over.  (Most of them are writing it “starwars”, though, so I ignore them for improper formatting.)  Here in the QOTD, though, we try to keep on the sunnier side of life, even when Pete got turned into a horny toad, and the panoramic vistas of the how-awesome-could-this-be future are stretching out before us like Eel O’Brien mud-wrestling Ralph Dibny and Reed Richards at the Hooters in Ottumwa, Iowa…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) thinks that hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for the snark of the internet, asking:  What are you most looking forward to if/when the Disney purchase of Lucasfilm goes through?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

VIDEO: Lucas on the sale

TOP FIVE: Five Ways Disney Could Improve/Ruin Star Wars

1. Kyle
    October 31, 2012 at 10:50 am — Reply

looking forward to Tony Stark inventing the Lightsaber.

2. Russ Catt
    October 31, 2012 at 10:54 am — Reply

The eventual release of Kingdom Hearts 3 featuring a super-ultra boss fight featuring Maleficent, Sephiroth and Asajj Ventress!

• GeorgeDubya
      October 31, 2012 at 11:55 am — Reply

I only have two compound words for you – Lightsaber Keyblade

3. October 31, 2012 at 11:01 am — Reply

I really hope they take Knights of the Old Republic and make either a serious TV drama or new movie out of it. It is far enough removed from previous story lines that they would have the freedom to develop a story with out canon concerns.

• October 31, 2012 at 12:00 pm — Reply

This is one of the reasons I’ve always wished for an anthology. They could tell stories in just about any timeline without having to worry to much about canon as long as they don’t try changing an established character or setting too much. They could always use familiar races and settings with new characters to tell stories that could easily fit inside canon or even tell the opposite side of a known event (like what other Imperials were doing in other parts of the galaxy at the same time of the destruction of the second Death Star).

4. October 31, 2012 at 11:23 am — Reply

Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts was my first one, too.
    Then we get Star Wars films without total Lucas control.
    Also, Disney may finally release HD versions of the original trilogy as is. No updates, no Han shooting second, just the original theatrical cut.

• October 31, 2012 at 12:31 pm — Reply

Disney won’t be able to release the original films on DVD or Blu-Ray. 20th Century Fox still retains those distribution rights.

• October 31, 2012 at 3:20 pm — Reply

Ok, but with control of the franchise, maybe they can give Fox the go ahead?

5. J_Michael_T
    October 31, 2012 at 11:23 am — Reply

Would love to see the PIXAR crew take a shot at the Star Wars universe.

Would love to see the last trilogy done right (a la The Avengers).

New toys! if new characters evolve from this transaction.

I hope to see a new Star Wars universe grow out of this with new characters, new stories, etc.

Can this happen for this Xmas season??

See I kept it positive :)

PS I’d like to see a line of dialogue in the new movie that goes something like this: “I know! But he shot first!”

Sorry. Couldn’t help it…

6. October 31, 2012 at 11:54 am — Reply

Honestly, I’m hoping for a new movie or even a TV mini-series that shows some other aspects of the Star Wars universe than what we’ve seen in the movies and Clone Wars without any of the Skywalker clan directly involved.

Alternately, I’d love to see a Star Wars anthology TV series that could do a different story or mini-arc every few weeks. One week you might have a serious drama set in the Old Republic, the next might be a humorous story about bumbling criminals on early New Republic Coruscant, the next could be something about the early years of the Jedi (pre-KOTOR times), etc.

There is a lot of rich lore in the Expanded Universe they could tap for stories while also forging new creatures and lore too. Between the talent pool of Lucasfilm and Disney (such as the Jim Henson Creature Shop), there is a lot of potential for the types of creature representations they could do, including bringing about some live action representations of creatures that previously have only been seen in comics or described in the novels.

But as long as they don’t try a reboot, make too many retcons or start making the novels lack cohesion, then I’ll pretty much be happy.

• J_Michael_T
      October 31, 2012 at 12:03 pm — Reply

Great ideas! One of my favorite “expanded universe” stories ever written was a book which told stories starring the minions hiding out in Jabba The Hut’s hideout while the cast of Star Wars carried out the rescue of Han and Leia. I’d love to see more of that.

• Christina
        October 31, 2012 at 12:54 pm — Reply

If Disney even tries to reboot the Star Wars universe, I’m officially boycotting Disney!

7. Christina
    October 31, 2012 at 12:50 pm — Reply

Honestly, I’m looking forward to the movies/tv shows. I’m waiting for trailers to decide if this buy is good or bad. I agree with Alisha Mynx- the Expanded Universe for Star Wars is HUGE! Disney could continue to make movies and tv shows for ever if the company uses the Expanded Universe. I also kind of want a Sith Wars/Pre Old Republic film after the next three.

8. October 31, 2012 at 2:04 pm — Reply

Well living only a short 2 and a half hour car ride to Disney World, I’m looking forward to what they will do at the parks. Disney to this day still has so much land that is undeveloped; they could do a Star Wars section to Hollywood Studios or EPCOT. Or just do independent Lucasfilm park all by its self. Then you go and make the resort hotels for those Lucasfilm add-ons or park. Walking into a hotel based on Star Wars or Indiana Jones would be Awesome. Finally they could have a field day with the Disney Cruise Line, I have been on 3 of the 4 ship. They could have a Star Wars 3 day cruise, and have ewoks on their private island. So yes the next 5 to 10 years will be exciting to say the least and I’m OK with that.

9. Frank
    October 31, 2012 at 3:51 pm — Reply

“Alternately, I’d love to see a Star Wars anthology TV series that could do a different story or mini-arc every few weeks.”

— The Wonderful World of Star Wars, Sundays 6:00 PM on ABC.

10. Eli
    October 31, 2012 at 4:02 pm — Reply

Star Wars Muppets!

11. Frank
    October 31, 2012 at 4:27 pm — Reply

We will see a race of mouse-like race of Jedi.

Seriously,
    Get Lucas too write a 1 page plot for several movies, find an excellent director and limit the CGI.

One of my considerations is that any new movies will probably not have the signature John Williams soundtrack.

12. Arbor Day
    October 31, 2012 at 4:40 pm — Reply

Howard the Duck/Ducktales crossover.

13. Nick S.
    October 31, 2012 at 5:23 pm — Reply

I’m curious what will happen to all the parodies and fan-made content. For all the crap we (okay, I) give Lucas, he was incredibly generous about letting others use his characters and settings. Disney, however…. Let’s just say that while I was typing this, I made a doodle of Steamboat Willie on an old envelope and a lawyer materialized with a C&D order.
    Could this mean the end of material like TROOPS or the Robot Chicken parodies?

• November 1, 2012 at 2:47 am — Reply

Parodies in general have a certain amount of protection from legal backlash, unlike direct fan films or other unlicensed work of most licensed franchises or products. I’m not sure of the extent of the protection and what is and isn’t allowed for sure, but I remember reading articles about it previously when someone wanted to sue over a very minor parody and it got thrown out of court (can’t even remember the details, but I think it was allowed as there was a disclaimer or something). So at the very least, I don’t see the parodies going away. The general fan works, on the other hand, I’m hoping Disney keeps things as is instead of swinging around the C&D hammer.

• November 1, 2012 at 11:11 am — Reply

Fan films aren’t generally parodies, as most of them take great care to support the source material, instead of making fun of it. Rubio’s TROOPS is a parody, while Duality by Crew of Two is not. Disney wouldn’t have much luck suing over TROOPS, but with Duality, that short subject could be a gone at a moments notice.

14. Oldcomicfan
    October 31, 2012 at 7:41 pm — Reply

I’m looking forward to new movies. Also, perhaps under Disney we’ll get the Star Wars TV show Lucas chickened out on. And it would be nice to get another animated series the quality of Clone Wars. But most of all, once Disney owns Star Wars, Old George won’t be able to screw with the movies any more. No more “Han shot second” changes, hooray! Now if only we could convince Disney to digitally remove Jar Jar Binks and replace him with a Daleck or something less annoying