Yesterday’s work at the comic store included several books that fell into a theme:  Steel, The Indestructible Man #1, The Six Million Dollar Man #1, Superman Vol. 2 #1 and the first issue of Marvel’s Star Wars comic.  With the upcoming remake of Robocop, and the return of Aaron Stack in this week’s issue of Red She-Hulk, I am finding myself awash in machine-men, which led me to ponder today’s ponderance…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) sics the Venus Probe on Bigfoot, asking:
Who is your favorite cyborg in pop-culture history?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

SOLICITATIONS: 215 Ink is going to Mars

REVIEW: Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #16

1. Prospero
    October 22, 2012 at 12:07 pm — Reply

Definitely the original Robocop, particularly since all the other contenders I came up with–Roy Batty, Vision, Ash from Alien & Bishop from Aliens–are androids/synthetics/robots, not cyborgs.

Of course, this all changes if the explanation for Rawhide’s return during the end credits of Buckaroo Banzai was that Buckaroo performed emergency surgery on him & turned him into a cyborg (Buckaroo could totally do that, you know). If that’s the case, then it’s Rawhide by a mile.

2. October 22, 2012 at 12:42 pm — Reply

Cybermen are pretty high up on my list, but I’m also partial to Motoko Kusanagi from “Ghost in the Shell”.

3. October 22, 2012 at 12:42 pm — Reply

I like most of the “reformed” Borg from Star Trek; Hugh, Seven, etc. Not sure what puts them above the rest other than my love of the Trek.

But this question got me thinking…At what point does someone actually qualify as a cyborg?
    Stab Lee had a pace maker now, a machine designed to keep his heart going. Jean Luc Picard and Seven of nine were never able to rid themselves of all Borg parts. Does this qualify them as Cyborgs? Or does someone need to have a more signigant change? They make artificial hearts that fully replace your real one. How much of a machine do you have to be?

A good question always raises others.

4. October 22, 2012 at 1:35 pm — Reply

Randus is my favorite cyborg!

My Favorite Cyborg, new from Hasbro!

My Favorite Cyborg, brought to you in color by Palmolive!

You guys are on to something here…

5. Ian
    October 22, 2012 at 8:30 pm — Reply

Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar Man, natch

6. Slappy
    October 22, 2012 at 9:12 pm — Reply

Luke Skywalker has always been a favorite of mine.
    The Bionic Six was a swell show with a family of cyborgs.
    Lastly Mr. Igoe from Innerspace.

7. Gehrigan
    October 23, 2012 at 6:30 am — Reply

Tony Stark tied with Steve Austin for me.

• Gehrigan
      October 23, 2012 at 6:31 am — Reply

Oops sorry. Ash from Army of Darkness – groovy!