We’ve known that Marvel and Disney have had plans for a S.H.I.E.L.D. television for a while now, but when news broke that Agent Phil Coulson would be a major part of the television show, suddenly the rest of the civilized world must also face the dilemma that faces comic book face at least once a quarter – the death and return of a favorite character.

How will SHIELD explain Coulson's return??

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

MARVEL NOW! Marvel announces Behind the ReEvolution video series on MTV

SNEAK PEEK: Dynamite Entertainment for October 17, 2012

1. Brian
    October 16, 2012 at 12:03 pm — Reply

I never thought he died in the movie. Fury announces it over the radio, but we don’t see a body or funeral. I saw it as Coulson aiding Fury in manipulating the group into forming the team. His last line was something along the lines of giving them a reason. And faking his death would provide tension between Fury and the rest for the next movie.

2. October 16, 2012 at 12:04 pm — Reply

I’ve been of the opinion that the Coulson stabbed in The Avengers was an LMD long before the news came that the SHIELD TV show would have him in it, so I see no reason to change my mind now that the evidence actually SUPPORTS my stance!

3. October 16, 2012 at 12:09 pm — Reply

You never see his body after he gets stabbed and talks to Nick. There was no body bag or a body with a tarp over it. He was never dead, just down. He will be back better than ever.

• GeorgeDubya
      October 16, 2012 at 1:10 pm — Reply

I fully agree. I thought this and shared with with friends after watching the movie.

I will admit being tempted to choose the “Trust in Joss” option, but I went with the crack team of doctors.

4. October 16, 2012 at 12:10 pm — Reply

I’d never have thought of that Vision-angle on my own, but that would be a very interesting angle to take. They could run it a little like the sub-plot of Robocop–i.e. Is he a man or is he a robot, and if he’s a robot then why does he have feelings? That, to me, is a plot that I can see Whedon’s team embracing.

Then again, I’m still praying for a Daredevil TV show, so what do I know?

5. October 16, 2012 at 12:30 pm — Reply

Unless we see an on-panel corpse or any follow-up whatsoever I’m operating under the assumption that he’s not fully dead. Almost dead, very nearly there. Then again, this is Joss “Murderface” Whedon we’re talking about here.

6. ArcticPhoenix
    October 16, 2012 at 12:31 pm — Reply

He probably either wasnt dead to begin with, merely a flesh wound.

• ArcticPhoenix
      October 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm — Reply

(just forget i wrote either haha)

7. Russ Catt
    October 16, 2012 at 12:43 pm — Reply

I’d love it if they initially told the characters that “he got better” but then have a 2nd season reveal that the real Coulson died and this Coulson is an LMD.
    Bonus points if they have a through-line prior to the reveal denigrating the LMD as inferior.
    Extra bonus points if the LMD Coulson actually believed he was the original.

• Brian
      October 16, 2012 at 2:49 pm — Reply

It was a LMD because real Coulson was in Portland.

8. B.V.K.
    October 16, 2012 at 2:49 pm — Reply

I have bever been into anything shield in the comics before but this show sounds like it has potential. Maybe something similar to Powers.

9. Arbor Day
    October 16, 2012 at 2:51 pm — Reply

Coulson could always have been a robot. It’d explain his stoic yet slightly awkward demeanor, while still being highly skilled in “A funny thing happened on the way to Thor’s Hammer.”

10. October 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm — Reply

Stark said it best, Nick Fury is a liar. He is a spy, he is THE spy. We saw him lie about the Captain America cards being on Coulson, and that he is manipulating everyone. So yeah, Coulson did not die from the Loki attack, but Fury kept him under wraps and he is now just working deep undercover/super classified stuff.

11. Law
    October 16, 2012 at 3:52 pm — Reply

I think the one that was killed was the LMD. What would a SHIELD show be about anyway? Spies or superheroes?? Why have spies when super people are everywhere??

• Arbor Day
      October 16, 2012 at 5:51 pm — Reply

Shield versus Roxxon, AIM, Serpent Society, Hydra even maybe.

12. Cat Halo
    October 16, 2012 at 5:37 pm — Reply

In Joss I trust.
    While he has a habit of killing of beloved characters, I don’t fully believe Colson is dead. That said, all of the options presented are very possible.

13. Matt
    October 16, 2012 at 5:40 pm — Reply

Really hoping it is a LMD. Tony mentioning it when Coulson shows up to recruit him is Chekhov’s Gun.

14. October 18, 2012 at 6:03 am — Reply

Did they say Coulson, or could the actor be playing a different character?

• October 18, 2012 at 4:09 pm — Reply

Agent Phil Coulson died.

This is his brother, Agent Bill Coulson.