Attendees at this month’s Wizard World Austin Comic Con, on their way to visiting celebrities, artists, exhibitors and other attractions, will likely run into more than a few members of the more than 20 fan communities setting up on and roaming the Austin Convention Center floor, Oct. 26-28. Groups displaying their affinity for such staples as Star Wars, “Star Trek,” Ghostbusters, “Doctor Who,” charities, themed podcasters and other non-profit organizations will be on hand, greatly enhancing the fan experience for the thousands expected over the three days.
Some of the organizations on site include:
- 501st Garrison – Central Texas Squad, a chapter of the national organization which seeks to promote interest in Star Wars through the building and wearing of quality costumes, and to facilitate the use of these costumes for Star Wars-related events as well as contributions to the local community through costumed charity and volunteer work.
- Anomaly Podcast and Blog, an award winning geek-girl show, often featured in the “What’s Hot” section under “TV and Film” within the iTunes store. From the start, the founders of Anomaly had but one goal in mind: to have fun while sharing their feminine perspectives on all things geek. Created over five years ago, Anomaly and its supporting show, Anomaly Supplemental, each feature commentary on science fiction and fantasy literature, television, and film.
- Ark Angel, whose “meetings” range from actual meetings of a business type to anything from watching movies at one of the Crew’s houses, camping trips, laser tag outings, bowling, LAN parties, role-playing games, or just sitting around a table playing games of all types.
- Cybertronz Elite, the elite Transformers Collectors and fan group. Established February 2011 by its founding Core 13 members, who have a vision in bringing all transformers collector’s and fans together, for the purpose of helping give back to the community, collecting, educating, and expanding the Transformers fan base across the universe, “till all are one!”
- D20 Girls Project, a semi-unique business that combines Social Networking, Talent Management, and Event Services. D20 also arranges with manufacturers, publishers and conventions to provide trade show models and spokes models at gaming and fandom related industry conventions across the U.S.
- DFW Ghostbusters, a non-profit organization that is dedicated to dealing with ghosts, goblins and the undead, all while raising money to help those in need and give back to the community.
- Doctor Who Fan Club of Austin, a local Austin Facebook Fan Club that participates in holding watch parties, bound together by the love of Doctor Who and living the values shared as Doctor Who fans.
- The Fandom Association of Central Texas, a non-profit educational organization dedicated to the promotion of science fiction, fantasy, and speculative fiction. The Association sponsors many activities aimed towards furthering the cause of literacy and the enjoyment of the genres, for example is ArmadilloCon, an annual literary conference.
- Houston Ghostbusters, a fan based group focused on doing community events and charity work in costume, and whose main goal is to make a positive impact on the world through love of movies, costumes and prop making.
- Punching the Walls of Reality, a rising Austin-based website looking to expand its audience with a unique sense of humor and well-opined reviews that are becoming all too scarce throughout the vast expanse of the Internet. It produces several candid and hilarious blogs with topics ranging from the latest in video games, most popular television shows, most loathed movies, mainstream comic books and highlights of the combat sport of mixed martial arts.
- PurrKayla, winner of fan-made online Superhero show, which was judged by fellow Superheroes.
- Safeplace, whose mission isending sexual and domestic violence through safety, healing, prevention and social change. Safeplace provides safety for individuals and families affected by sexual and domestic violence; helps victims in their healing so they can move beyond being defined by the crimes committed against them, and become survivors; promotes safe and healthy relationships for the prevention of sexual and domestic violence; and works with others to create change in attitudes, behaviors and policies that perpetuate the acceptance of, and impact our understanding and responses to, sexual and domestic violence.
- Save Our Seeker, fan-organized campaign to save “Legend of the Seeker” is an Emmy-award winning fantasy TV show produced by Disney/ABC Studios, based on Terry Goodkind’s bestselling epic series “The Sword of Truth.” The series follows the extraordinary transformation of woodsman Richard Cypher into a magical leader.
- Sith Shadow Council of Texas, a fan based Star Wars group. We dress-up, perform and participate in many events and charities within Texas and the San Antonio area.
- The Steam Engine Intrepid, a renegade steampunk group out of San Antonio Texas but with scouts in other cities, which prefers to travel by rail because the thought of an airship sickens our leader the Dark Professor.
- Star Wars Children’s Museum, a nonprofit group of like-minded individuals working for a goal : To Build a Star Wars Themed Children’s Museum. Its Mission is “To Inspire and Educate.” Its goal is to actually build the building a design from the Star Wars universe, and fill it with interesting, excited, educational exhibits to capture the attention and inspire the imaginations of today’s youth.
- USS Navras, a correspondence chapter of Starfleet, The International Star Trek Fan Association, Inc.– meaning that men, women, and children from all over the world can actively join and participate.
- USS Zavala, a chapter of Starfleet, the oldest continuously operating Star Trek fan organization in the world. Zavala is dedicated to the ideals of diplomacy, justice, and the pursuit of knowledge espoused in the Star Trek genre.
- WGTR “World Grand Theft Radio,” the nationwide internet radio station No. 1 worldwide Halloween radio station in Sept & Oct. With over 30 original shows a week live, “our mission to make your on air dreams come true!”
- Eight stars of the popular series “Star Trek: The Next Generation, including the legendary Patrick Stewart and Will Wheaton (Stand By Me) will be joined by Eliza Dushku (“Buffy The Vampire Slayer,” True Lies), WWE® Superstar CM Punk®, Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino (“Jersey Shore”), Dean Cain (“Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman,” “90210”), Anthony Michael Hall (Sixteen Candles, Weird Science), Michael Rooker (“The Walking Dead,” Henry), Jon Bernthal (“The Walking Dead,” The Ghost Writer) and the Boondock Saints trio of Norman Reedus, Sean Patrick Flanery and David Della Rocco, among others at Wizard World Austin Comic Con.
Wizard World Austin Comic Con, produced by Wizard World, Inc. (WIZD.PK), will bring together thousands of fans of all ages to celebrate the best in pop-fi, pop culture, movies, graphic novels, comics, toys, video gaming, television, sci-fi, gaming, original art, collectibles, contests and more. Admission is free for kids 10 and under, and Sunday, October 28, is “Kids Day,” with an array of programming specially designed for children.
For more on the 2012 Wizard World Austin Comic Con, visit http://www.wizardworld.com/home-tx.html.
About Wizard World:
Wizard World produces Comic Cons and pop culture conventions across North America that celebrate graphic novels, comic books, movies, TV shows, gaming, technology, toys and social networking. The events often feature celebrities from movies and TV, artists and writers, and events such as premieres, gaming tournaments, panels, and costume contests.
The full event schedule can be found at www.wizardworld.com.
***** SAVE THE 2012-13 DATES *****
October 26-28, 2012 – Wizard World Austin Comic Con
November 30 – December 2, 2012 – Wizard World New Orleans Comic Con
February 22-24, 2013 – Wizard World Portland Comic Con
May 30 – June 2, 2013 – Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con
August 8-11, 2013 – Wizard World Chicago Comic Con
September 20-22, 2013 – Wizard World Ohio Comic Con