Major Spoilers is a celebration of pop culture and awesome in all its forms, but I am a fan especially of real-life awesomeness.  Not so long ago, Rodrigo and I reviewed an adventure of El Santo in comics form, an entertaining glimpse of the multimedia career of a real person with a larger-then-life reputation and public image.  These days, it seems that everyone has feet of clay, from our professional athletes to our favorite film actors to the high-profile celebutantes who help to fill the hours of programming necessary for today’s ‘500 channels and nothing on’ cable TV networks.  Still, it seems that there are still some figures who seem able to transcend the boring and live a life of pure awesome.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) wants to grow up and be Bruce Campbell, asking:
Who is your favorite Larger-Than-Life celebrity?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

LVCBE'12: Aspen Comics heads to Sin City with magical exclusive

REVIEW: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #14

1. September 27, 2012 at 2:00 pm — Reply

Mick Foley, also known as Dude Love, Cactus Jack and Mankind in the pro wrestling world.

2. Eli
    September 27, 2012 at 2:29 pm — Reply

Richard Branson. He is pretty much Tony Stark sans the Iron Man suit.

3. Allen Jones
    September 27, 2012 at 3:21 pm — Reply

Hulk Hogan, even as an at the time 14 year old, I was so in awe of him I was scared to go up to him and ask for an autograph.

4. September 27, 2012 at 3:34 pm — Reply

Bruce Campbell aka the Chin. I actually watched “Brisco County Jr” in grade-school and slowly became more aware of his groovy career the older I got.

• GeorgeDubya
      September 27, 2012 at 6:05 pm — Reply

My Name Is Bruce was a great movie that really illustrated Bruce’s awesomeness.

5. B.V.K.
    September 27, 2012 at 6:12 pm — Reply

Brock Lesnar, NCAA champ, WWE champ, UFC champ and says what he damn well pleases.

• B.V.K.
      September 27, 2012 at 6:13 pm — Reply

and also played in the NFL for a very short time.

6. Gehrigan
    September 27, 2012 at 6:36 pm — Reply

William Shatner. The Shat has given us James T Kirk, TJ Hooker and DENNY CRANE! Plus the “Get a Life” sketch from SNL. and his “music” albums.

• September 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm — Reply

The “Get a Life” sketch is one of my absolute favorite (if not THE favorite) Shatner moments ever.

7. Michael
    September 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm — Reply

Let’s see. Just a few:

– Evel Knievel. When Jim Rome asked if EK knew there was little hope in heck of making the Snake River Canyon jump why’d he do it EK’s replay was “Do you know who the hell I am?”.

– Ric Flair. Lived the gimmick.

– Bruce Lee. Never got to live up to his off screen greatness because he was taken too soon.

– Bruce Campbell. “Nuff said!

8. September 28, 2012 at 3:32 am — Reply

John Belushi, my infamous first crush. A charming guy who oozes personality & can liven any room by entering it and raising a single eyebrow wows me more than any off-the-peg “hottie” type. That his public image is so maligned by people whose only exposure is the awful “Wired” makes me quite sad. Yes, he was crazy, but he was also super sweet & loyal. He’s the first person I think of when I hear the words “Crazy Awesome”.