There are certain movies that just lend themselves to quotation.  When I worked in my last call center, you couldn’t swing a cat without hearing a quote from ‘Anchorman.’  As a child of the 1970s, my childhood cultural quotability touchstones were evenly split between ‘Caddyshack’ and Monty Python’s Flying Circus, although I myself, still have a special love for most of Val Kilmer’s dialogue from ‘Real Genius,’ and Gene Wilder’s brilliant turn as Willy Wonka.  I even have a silent, terrifying suspicion that, somewhere, a generation of children is repeating the dialogue of Diablo Cody the way my friends and I absorbed the movie ‘Heathers’ back in the Clinton administration…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) will take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out for a nice seafood dinner and never call her again, asking: What is the most quotable movie or character in your experience?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

GAME REVIEW: Kaijudo

RETRO REVIEW: Green Lantern #201 (June 1986)

1. September 23, 2012 at 11:46 am — Reply

My best online friend and I have had a habit over the last 8 years or so to greet each other with a Homer Simpson, Philip J Fry or Peter Griffin quote. I cannot remember what started it, but it is rare that the first words we IM to each other are anything but a quote from the series of those characters.

I also tend to quote Star Wars (all six films as well as EU material) enough that my close friends have a running joke that you can tell how good or bad I am feeling by how many Star Wars quotes I use in an hour.

2. September 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm — Reply

Most Will Ferrel movies tend to be my favorite to quote, but when it comes down to it there are two movies that switch back and forth for the top spot. One is Anchorman. The other, Dumb and Dumber.

“Tick-tack, sir?”
    “I’ve got worms.”
    “Mhmm, California. Nice.”

Comedy gold.

• B.V.K.
      September 23, 2012 at 11:01 pm — Reply

seconded

3. GeorgeDubya
    September 23, 2012 at 1:31 pm — Reply

Anything Monty Python, How I Met Your Mother, Futurama, and Family Guy (only the original three seasons and the first season of the return… haven’t watched it in years) can be heard routinely among my friends and I.

• GeorgeDubya
      September 23, 2012 at 1:33 pm — Reply

Gah! I hit post and realized I said “I” when I should have used “me” instead. This annoys me.

4. Robert Hulshof-Schmidt
    September 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm — Reply

Absolutely Fabulous. Any epsiode from the first three seasons and specials is so full of quotable lines it’s ridiculous. Nearly every character, too (but especially Patsy and guest turns by Mo Gaffney.) Sadly underquotable in the latter seasons…

5. Hirimno
    September 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm — Reply

Most of my quotes are usually Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Office Space, or the new Doctor Who series. (I have slowly been converting all of them to Who fans.)

• Hirimno
      September 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm — Reply

and by them I mean my coworkers. Stupid brain thinking ahead.

6. Michael
    September 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm — Reply

A few off the top of my head:

– Smokey & The Bandit.

– Archer.

– Pulp Fiction.

– Quest For Fire.

• September 23, 2012 at 8:21 pm — Reply

And here I thought I must be the only one who lights the grill and proclaims, “Artra! Artra!”

7. Ricco
    September 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm — Reply

Army of Darkness, everything Ash says is memorable and has been used in movies/games/other medias at one point or another.

8. Brenton8090
    September 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm — Reply

Anchorman
    Austin Powers, Ace Ventura, ad the Mask. (Not anymore, surely, but back in the day? Man.)

9. AED
    September 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm — Reply

Blazing Saddles tons of funny quotes, not one of them printable without overall context and even then.

10. zebgotbetter
    September 23, 2012 at 6:27 pm — Reply

Airplane, Naked Gun, The Jerk, Princess Bride, Pulp Fiction, Usual Suspects, Holy Grail, Ghostbusters, Carlin, Izzard, for some reason Quigley Down Under..I could go on and on…..

11. September 23, 2012 at 6:28 pm — Reply

“The Princess Bride” that movie has some of the best quotes ever in every scene. I killed two VCR tape re-watching that movie
    – “I’m not a witch I’m your wife”
    – “No, To The Pain”
    – “Fezzik are there rocks ahead? If there are we all be dead”
    – “You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”
    – “What was that”, “What was that”
    – “Bye, Bye boys have fun storming the castle”

A close 2nd it “Ghostbusters”
    – “The Go Up”
    – “Yes that man has no D***”
    – “Go get her Ray”

Then Third it “Houston Hawk”
    – “Bunny, Ball Ball”
    – “Can you freaking believe it”
    – “Had just the right amount of foam”

And another good one to add “Are You Being Served”
    – “Men’s Wear”

• September 24, 2012 at 11:17 am — Reply

I’m not allowed to quote Ghostbusters in my close group of friends anymore. It isn’t like I overdid it or anything, just that most of the people I know offline are not as big GB fans as I am (although most of their kids are).

12. zebgotbetter
    September 23, 2012 at 6:29 pm — Reply

you know……morons.

13. Frank
    September 23, 2012 at 7:37 pm — Reply

“Ditto”

“‘Ditto?’ ‘Ditto,’ you provincial putz?”

(Another vote for Blazing Saddles for the uninitiated)

14. Shush
    September 23, 2012 at 9:11 pm — Reply

I shall cast another quote for Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I’ve watched a group of friends recite the whole movie, more or less, nearly verbatim.

15. Nachojester
    September 23, 2012 at 9:33 pm — Reply

Spinal Tap… it’s so quotable it’s ridiculous.

16. September 24, 2012 at 6:27 am — Reply

Most quotable? Have to say The Room. Between “Oh hi, ____” and “Everybody betray me!”, it’s got all the awkward dialogue you need in life. Every time I watch a show or read a comic and some villain shows up, I reflexively say the first one up there, filling in their name. Try it out, it’s fun and makes no sense in context.

A close second would be Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Any of those films would do, but I like the bit about choosing wisely/poorly. It slays me. Not as much as that random nazi, but you get my drift.

17. Samuel
    September 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm — Reply

I have to say “the Sandlot” I manage to use a quote from that movie at least once a day.
    “Your killing me Smalls”
    “Forever…Forever…Forever”
    “You Forgot to turn”
    “I suppose you don’t even know who The Babe is either.”
    “You know, if I had a dog as ugly as you, I’d shave his butt and tell him to walk backwards.”

Among so many more.