Throughout the 80-odd year history of comics, there have been a lot of strange occurrences, starting from the very existence of Air Male and Stampy, through the madness of the Bronze Age and the Hypno-Hustler, all the way through the disconcerting streamlining of the DC and Wildstorm Universes in the New 52.  (Don’t even get me started on unraveling the “five Robins in five years conundrum.”)  One character who has been through a LOT of change in that time is Supergirl, occasionally the cousin of Kal-El, aka Superman.  There were her earliest appearances where she was clearly visually based on Marilyn Monroe, the time she was an alien gray blob of spooge, and an array of costumes ranging from tart-like to so garish that even *I* didn’t love them, leaving Kara Zor-El with one of the few histories more complicated than Deathlok’s.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) reminds you that Streaky has killer claws, asking:
Which version of Supergirl is the best version of Supergirl?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

SNEAK PEEK: Geronimo Stilton #11: We'll Always Have Paris

TOYS: DC Collectibles announces Harley Quinn Statue

1. Michael
    September 14, 2012 at 11:37 am — Reply

I’m gonna say the Superman and Justice League animated serieses version.

2. September 14, 2012 at 11:45 am — Reply

I’m torn between the DCAU Supergirl, and possibly the current version.

3. Robert Hulshof-Schmidt
    September 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm — Reply

Is it cheating to say the Five Year Gap Laurel Gand? Yeah, I thought so. She was one of the few things about that reboot that really worked for me.
    I was never a big Kara fan, but the early 70s Adventure stories are my favorites.

4. September 14, 2012 at 1:28 pm — Reply

Pee-Gee. Comic’s ‘time dilation’ never lets any Supergirls mature into their own person. Most interpretations of Power Girl (esp. Conner) show someone with the confidence and bluster to be a bruiser along side the major players in the DCU.

5. September 14, 2012 at 2:25 pm — Reply

The movie from the early 80s, with Helen Slater? I like that version.

6. Space Cadet Juan
    September 14, 2012 at 2:45 pm — Reply

I’m gonna agree with those that picked the Superman Animated Supergirl.

7. September 14, 2012 at 3:45 pm — Reply

Going by the name Supergirl…then the one from all the animated film where she took out Darkseid.
    But Power Girl from the comics wins the over all. I’ve never really read much but I like the survivor story.

8. September 14, 2012 at 3:48 pm — Reply

Linda Danvers

9. September 14, 2012 at 5:21 pm — Reply

I like the personality of the DCAU Supergirl, but I never liked that “I got this at The Gap!” outfit, so just put her in that puffy sleeves & hot pants outfit from “The Great Darkness Saga”. LOVE that costume.

I do like the current Supergirl, though, so she’d be a second choice.

• September 14, 2012 at 5:42 pm — Reply

Yeah, it’s pretty awesome.

10. silvergray
    September 14, 2012 at 11:53 pm — Reply

The first one… Okay maybe there were other “prototype” supergirls/superwomen, but the one back in the 1959 action comics 252 is what I mean.

She brought the fun. She had wacky adventures. She felt like an innocent who didn’t realize the terrible things Superman was doing to her. He made her into a “secret weapon” and stuck her in an orphanage for crying out loud! But most of all she wasn’t all emo about herself. Yes she had the occasional self doubt thing but she always brought a happy message when it was all over.

She loved life. I may not know what “being a girl” stands for these days but loving life is hardly a bad message for any person to aspire to, girl or boy.

11. September 15, 2012 at 1:03 am — Reply

Me in my custom Dark Supergirl costume. *nods*

But from the actual DC approved stories, I like the DCAU Supergirl and I’m enjoying what I’ve seen of the current.

• Navarre
      September 15, 2012 at 8:49 am — Reply

“Me in my custom Dark Supergirl costume.”

Without pictures, it doesn’t exist. You have my e-mail. ;-)

12. Phil
    September 15, 2012 at 6:17 pm — Reply

Matrix Supergirl / Linda Danvers one.