There were rumors floating around that Joss Whedon was doing something more than just writing and directing the next Avengers movie, and today we learned he’s taking Marvel to the small screen.

Deadline has confirmed that ABC has ordered a pilot for S.H.I.E.L.D. that will focus on the peacekeeping organization.

S.H.I.E.L.D. will be written by Whedon and frequent collaborators, his brother Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen. Joss Whedon also is set to direct the pilot, schedule permitting.

This is a rather big development in order to expand the Marvel Universe in other media, and hopefully will keep audiences interested in the Avengers for the next several years.

via Deadline

Major Spoilers Podcast #440: Champions of the Wild Weird West

SNEAK PEEK: Image Comics for August 29, 2012

1. August 29, 2012 at 1:46 am — Reply

This is H U G E !
    We could follow a couple of regular GIs and how it feel to be on the not-superhero side of the road in a wold where there are superheros around.

2. August 29, 2012 at 4:30 am — Reply

Here’s hoping they handle this better than they did “No Ordinary Family” (all the cliches you hate in superhero comics in one convenient place). The fact that Whedon is involved, even if I don’t have the cult-like LURVE that others do for him, is a good sign; I trust him to do better than most on network TV anymore.

3. Hunter Dan
    August 29, 2012 at 4:53 am — Reply

Disappointed it’s not Runaways but in Whedon we trust

4. August 29, 2012 at 5:07 am — Reply

I think they are going to do this the right way. Focus on the regular guy and ad a splash of superhero here and there.
    After all the succes with the movies, they arn not going to mess this up! (I hope)

5. Oldcomicfan
    August 29, 2012 at 6:12 am — Reply

ABC – isn’t that, like Marvel, another struggling franchise snapped up by Disney? Well, at least it will give them something to air other than reruns of America’s Funniest Videos, and they’re not doing a “Firefly” and putting it on a premium only cable channel and changing the broadcast times so often that the characters get whiplash, thus dooming the show from the outset. But if you look at the history of the superhero genre on the small screen, except for the 1960’s corny Batman parody and Smallville, the track record is dismal. As for JW being at the helm, read the notice carefully. He’s going to do “some” of the writing and “may” direct the pilot if time permits. In other words, he’ll barely be involved. Too bad about that. I will hope for the best but I won’t get too enthusiastic until I see how good it is.

• Allen2Saint
      August 29, 2012 at 2:23 pm — Reply

Correct. They’re just attaching his name to try to garner all the good PR engergy Avengers has. He may never go near it, or it may he may “godfather” it the way Nolan supposedly did with the new Supes.

• August 29, 2012 at 3:49 pm — Reply

Wait, wait, wait.
      Hulk was great!

And the important part was the human relations, not “Hulk Smash!”

6. Sydness
    August 29, 2012 at 11:59 am — Reply

Please don’t let Fox get their grimy paws on this one. Done right this could outlive the movie franchise.

7. Umbra
    August 29, 2012 at 12:43 pm — Reply

I certainly hope it has a Gotham Central type vibe to it

8. b003
    August 29, 2012 at 11:26 pm — Reply

So Real Shield or Ultimate Shield with no Hoff?

9. Arbor Day
    August 30, 2012 at 2:25 am — Reply

I wonder if this is a sign HIMYM is ending and Colbie Smulders is going to move over to this show.

Also, who are they gonna fight? Hydra?

Maybe they’ll bring Taskmaster out he’d be a good villain on their level. They could bring in a lot of B villains.

10. ~wyntermute~
    August 30, 2012 at 2:30 am — Reply

I just hope it (the show) doesn’t try to take itself too seriously. I don’t want “CSI: Marvel U”. I want a semi-lighter style show… Not a sitcom (that would be dumb and doomed to failure before the pilot was even filmed), but I’m getting sick of “Cop/Military Procedural Shows”. If it can retain the same sort of “tone” as Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, I think it’d be a pretty good television program — B:tVS was able to be serious AND goofy, and sometimes both at the same time.